Countdown to Elliot: Dallas Cowboys 2016 Offseason Thread

BlueHeffner

Veteran
Daps
a lot of teams do, why you surprised at this?....unless you in that dire a situation and it's a must have, teams will just patch some shyt together and wait till a better prospect is available....and it's not like we talking 3-4 years down the line, we talking a year...with McFadden, the rb from Washington, the other rb cat, and that line, rb wasn't a pressing/spend the #4 pick on need...especially when there is a better player available to fill a more pressing need....but it's whatever, like i've been saying: this shyt is over, cant change it, and I want to say 'I was wrong', i'm hoping I have to say that in regards to this draft....
This makes no sense at all. How do you know those players you like next year will be available when you pick? How do you know those players wont suffer a catastrophic injury? How do know come draft time, a better prospect at another position falls to you? What if Romo goes down in preseason and we end up with a top 3 pick? In your theory, we shoulda passed on Zeke to take one of these RBs but we would have a chance to draft Myles Garrett.

Teams draft players who are "their guy". If you dont think u will be satisfied with the player you selected for the next 5 years, then you dont select him period.

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This makes no sense at all. How do you know those players you like next year will be available when you pick? How do you know those players wont suffer a catastrophic injury? How do know come draft time, a better prospect at another position falls to you? What if Romo goes down in preseason and we end up with a top 3 pick? In your theory, we shoulda passed on Zeke to take one of these RBs but we would have a chance to draft Myles Garrett.

Teams draft players who are "their guy". If you dont think u will be satisfied with the player you selected for the next 5 years, then you dont select him period.

what you said is the same rhetoric teams say that doesnt make sense cause every pick a team makes is for 'their guy'...and of course they don't draft thinking a player wont fit, but that doesn't make it right...

as for waiting to draft a player: i'm not saying that's what they should've done, i'm just saying rb wasn't a pressing need to spend the #4 pick on....they had other needs that could have been addressed....if we saying zeke the best rb and ramsey the best cb, why not take the player that will fill a more pressing need?...also, you can take a rb later, like they did as well, smh....seriously, you telling me that rb was that much in need that they needed to spend 2 draft picks on that position?..if that's the case, the team was worse off than I thought....

BlueHeffner

Veteran
Daps
what you said is the same rhetoric teams say that doesnt make sense cause every pick a team makes is for 'their guy'...and of course they don't draft thinking a player wont fit, but that doesn't make it right...

as for waiting to draft a player: i'm not saying that's what they should've done, i'm just saying rb wasn't a pressing need to spend the #4 pick on....they had other needs that could have been addressed....if we saying zeke the best rb and ramsey the best cb, why not take the player that will fill a more pressing need?...also, you can take a rb later, like they did as well, smh....seriously, you telling me that rb was that much in need that they needed to spend 2 draft picks on that position?..if that's the case, the team was worse off than I thought....
I dont like the whole draft for need thing breh. You pass on a better player for a lesser player since the lesser player was filled a need? Its moves like that, that make you end up drafting Claiborne instead of Luke Kuechly. We couldve had Kuechly as our MLB and Lee at the Will.

I get what some of you are saying as far as this defense needing playmakers. Most of you probably will say that Ramsey is a better CB than Zeke is a RB. I disagree with that, but thats your opinion.

Spade

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DC/Texas/Chicago
Fam y'all didn't need to take a RB with that pick. Was RB really a pressing need? And you can't say y'all were going for best player available cause y'all ain't do that either

Y'all could've took the best defensive prospect in the draft, let McFadden/Morris hold down the backfield for 1 season and get an even better RB next season.

Or could've took Ramsey and Derrick Henry with y'all 2nd round pick if RB was really that serious to y'all

shyt just made no sense :yeshrug:
Zeke is much better than Henry and it really isn't close IMO. Zeke is a better pass catcher, a better blocker, and a better runner. As far as relying on McFadden/Morris, the team simply didn't want to go that route. They did not trust McFadden to have another injury free season carrying the ball over 250 times per game. Garrett wants a bellcow RB and he probably does not see McFadden in that position. Not to mention, this will be his last year in Dallas (he has one year remaining on his contract). Morris likely was never brought in to be a 3 down back and he's only here for two years.

Spade

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DC/Texas/Chicago
I dont like the whole draft for need thing breh. You pass on a better player for a lesser player since the lesser player was filled a need? Its moves like that, that make you end up drafting Claiborne instead of Luke Kuechly. We couldve had Kuechly as our MLB and Lee at the Will.

I get what some of you are saying as far as this defense needing playmakers. Most of you probably will say that Ramsey is a better CB than Zeke is a RB. I disagree with that, but thats your opinion.

I would have been fine with either Zeke at RB or Ramsey at CB. Ramsey maybe the best long term impact player. Zeke is maybe the better short term impact player. So what's done is done. They have drafted well in the first round the past few years sans 2012.

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

you might not like it, but the first round is all about drafting for need....that player is expected to fill a hole.....and it's not necessarily taking a lesser player...it all depends on how you have those players rated...if the player you have rated the best, but doesn't fill a need, is rated that high over a player you have rated that fills a need, then yea, i'd say take the best available....but if they are closely rated, you take need first..

Dwight Howard

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Man Ramsey should have 8-10 ints or look the a young Ed Reed the way he has some of y'all in here acting
we don't have any long term prospects at DB outside of Byron Jones, that's the issue.
That's their job but teams ain't like we ain't going to pick a position this year cause next year we can get so and so. That's not happening at any real clip at all.
im just saying. if Carr and Claiborne have a repeat of last season, they are gone and we're gonna be left empty handed. its borderline asinine for them not to have addressed the position. Especially with the suspensions in our front 7