Countdown to Elliot: Dallas Cowboys 2016 Offseason Thread

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
havent been in here, but figure might as well drop my thoughts on the draft:

- i highly dislike the elliot pick....think it was dumb as hell, a reach, and showed they listened to outsiders too much.....why and the hell would you take a rb with all the other needs on the team?...especially since you signed the rb from washington...if they wanted another rb, cool, take one later (which they did, so they drafted 2 rbs, smh), but not with the 4th pick....they shouldve taken ramsey at 4...then taken henry in the second rd...that's 2 holes filled/set for the next 5-10 years....

...that's all i got from the draft...i stopped paying attention to it after the elliot picked, cause that's how much i disliked that pick....

smitty22

Is now part of Thee Alliance. Ill die for this ish
Supporter
Daps
havent been in here, but figure might as well drop my thoughts on the draft:

- i highly dislike the elliot pick....think it was dumb as hell, a reach, and showed they listened to outsiders too much.....why and the hell would you take a rb with all the other needs on the team?...especially since you signed the rb from washington...if they wanted another rb, cool, take one later (which they did, so they drafted 2 rbs, smh), but not with the 4th pick....they shouldve taken ramsey at 4...then taken henry in the second rd...that's 2 holes filled/set for the next 5-10 years....

...that's all i got from the draft...i stopped paying attention to it after the elliot picked, cause that's how much i disliked that pick....
Henry aint Zeke. They went defense in the 2nd. So thats still 2 holes filled, just one of them aint right away.

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Henry aint Zeke. They went defense in the 2nd. So thats still 2 holes filled, just one of them aint right away.

never said he was elliot and i'm not saying whose better, but he wouldve worked...and that wouldve filled 2 holes right away, not just 1....

Spade

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DC/Texas/Chicago
never said he was elliot and i'm not saying whose better, but he wouldve worked...and that wouldve filled 2 holes right away, not just 1....
The difference between those two is that Elliott is a better blocker, a better pass catcher, and he makes defenders miss. Henry would be good once he gets in the open field. He just has to get in the open field. Put it this way, I have confidence that Elliott can succeed in 8 to 9 man fronts in the NFL. I have my doubts Henry can succeed in that same situation. But I do get what you're saying.

smitty22

Supporter
Daps
The difference between those two is that Elliott is a better blocker, a better pass catcher, and he makes defenders miss. Henry would be good once he gets in the open field. He just has to get in the open field. Put it this way, I have confidence that Elliott can succeed in 8 to 9 man fronts in the NFL. I have my doubts Henry can succeed in that same situation. But I do get what you're saying.
Preach :boss:

dtownreppin214

l'immortale
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Shags & Leathers
People comparing Elliott to other backs in this draft need to stop. I think the bigger debate is Elliott vs Lamar Miller.

dtownreppin214

l'immortale
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Shags & Leathers
Posted this on CZ, I'll do the same here b/c it's my main concern. Overall, I'm pleased with the draft but the debate between these two players is still bothering. I'm not confident that the Cowboys allocated their resources properly here. We could have had Lamar Miller for less money and used the 4th pick somewhere else, most likely on Ramsey. Granted, Miller is a few years older but he's a known commodity and also considered a "complete back" just like Elliott. We all agree that both players would improve our run game from last year but is the difference between Elliott and Miller worth a Jalen Ramsey and $11 million dollars? What do you guys think? I don't have a strong stance on this so I'm open to some convincing.

Elliott (21 yrs old) - 4 yrs/$25 million (fully guaranteed)

or

Miller (25 yrs old) - 4 yrs/$26 million (14M guaranteed) + Jalen Ramsey or another player at #4

smitty22

Supporter
Daps
Posted this on CZ, I'll do the same here b/c it's my main concern. Overall, I'm pleased with the draft but the debate between these two players is still bothering. I'm not confident that the Cowboys allocated their resources properly here. We could have had Lamar Miller for less money and used the 4th pick somewhere else, most likely on Ramsey. Granted, Miller is a few years older but he's a known commodity and also considered a "complete back" just like Elliott. We all agree that both players would improve our run game from last year but is the difference between Elliott and Miller worth a Jalen Ramsey and $11 million dollars? What do you guys think? I don't have a strong stance on this so I'm open to some convincing.

or

Miller (25 yrs old) - 4 yrs/$26 million (14M guaranteed) + Jalen Ramsey or another player at #4
I get what your saying and thats a fair question, say you take Rasmey and got Miller, you could flip that question by saying get Norman in FA and take Zeke, over Rasmey and Miller. Always gonna be debate. :yeshrug:

BlueHeffner

Veteran
Daps

or

I was thinking the same thing. @Primetime21 brought this up a few times. I think the decision was a result of:

1-The Front Office not having a true philosophy when it comes to paying the running back position. First they say they dont want to overpay for that position because of injury risk, but they then still offer Murray 6m+ and tried to trade for him.
2-They dont see Lamar Miller as highly as we do. I think if it were AP that were available, we wouldve went after him
3-Zeke was a backup plan. I truly think the Front Office wanted to draft a QB round one and when both teams traded up to 1 & 2, they were left with the decision of Ramsey vs. Elliot.
4-They are still haunted by the Morris Claiborne pick, that they didnt want to draft another DB top 5 with question marks surrounding his ability as a corner.
5-You gotta remember too, if you give 14m to Miller, you have to give another 25 million to Ramsey, which give us less room under the cap.

At the end of the day, im happy with the pick. No defensive player taken in this draft would be the difference of us making the playoffs or not.

Last edited:

Reggie

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Virginia
I like the Zeke pick but in retro if we would have taken Ramsey and got Henry in the second round I wouldn't have been mad at that either. I know after being burned by the Claiborne pick the Boys would be hesitant to take Jalen though. Cant blame them for that especially since I think Ramsey may not even end up being the best defensive back in his class.