Countdown to Elliot: Dallas Cowboys 2016 Offseason Thread

FrankyFourFingers

Raised in Ruins
Daps
Reppin
CA
That's a damn good question bruh. Smith is the x factor. If he comes back healthy and reaches his potential then we have a star linebacker for the next 10-12 years.
ChjTPR3WwAEHbeR.jpg

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
Posted this on CZ, I'll do the same here b/c it's my main concern. Overall, I'm pleased with the draft but the debate between these two players is still bothering. I'm not confident that the Cowboys allocated their resources properly here. We could have had Lamar Miller for less money and used the 4th pick somewhere else, most likely on Ramsey. Granted, Miller is a few years older but he's a known commodity and also considered a "complete back" just like Elliott. We all agree that both players would improve our run game from last year but is the difference between Elliott and Miller worth a Jalen Ramsey and $11 million dollars? What do you guys think? I don't have a strong stance on this so I'm open to some convincing.

Elliott (21 yrs old) - 4 yrs/$25 million (fully guaranteed)

or

Miller (25 yrs old) - 4 yrs/$26 million (14M guaranteed) + Jalen Ramsey or another player at #4
We won't know that until they play. If you see Zeke break off a 50yd td run and Ramsey give up a 50yd td would you still want him? No CB makes an impact their first year or sometimes longer, so that would be another year or two they're wasting with Romo. If Romo gets hurt and Dak or Moore have to come in then they can still rely on the running game.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
Dak Prescott discussion.

Saw the vid of Shango saying maybe he could be part Cam/Russell Wilson :francis:

Thing is Dak was barely in the 4.7 range....Cam/Russ were legit 4.5..

If Dak can just get that footwork together though :patrice:

He's heavy footed and sometimes gets smashed on the field because he doesn't know how to protect himself.

I actually think he could develop into a solid passer, but its all in the footwork. I think Cardale had a higher upside, but he didn't seem like a Garrett guy.

I'm rooting for Dak though.

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
That's good for the defense, but if Romo goes down then the offense is back to where it was before.
For sure. I'm a fan of Zeke so I'm hoping he balls out.
Just curious if they could have survived with Morris/Dmac this year.

Just saying there are about 5 rbs that are going 1st round next year.

Dalvin Cook :jbhmm:

duckbutta

eienaar van mans
Daps
Reppin
DFW
We going to find out what Dak can do this year when Romo get's hurt and misses a minimum of 2 games :manny:

Rell84shots

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, TX
For sure. I'm a fan of Zeke so I'm hoping he balls out.
Just curious if they could have survived with Morris/Dmac this year.

Just saying there are about 5 rbs that are going 1st round next year.

Dalvin Cook :jbhmm:
To quote James from Good Times "I'm sick of getting by, i want to get over", we can't bank on McFadden having another healthy season and Morris is a 2 down back. Remember DMC missed a good amount of TC because of a strained hamstring.

dtownreppin214

l'immortale
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Shags & Leathers
I was thinking the same thing. @Primetime21 brought this up a few times. I think the decision was a result of:

1-The Front Office not having a true philosophy when it comes to paying the running back position. First they say they dont want to overpay for that position because of injury risk, but they then still offer Murray 6m+ and tried to trade for him.
2-They dont see Lamar Miller as highly as we do. I think if it were AP that were available, we wouldve went after him
3-Zeke was a backup plan. I truly think the Front Office wanted to draft a QB round one and when both teams traded up to 1 & 2, they were left with the decision of Ramsey vs. Elliot.
4-They are still haunted by the Morris Claiborne pick, that they didnt want to draft another DB top 5 with question marks surrounding his ability as a corner.
5-You gotta remember too, if you give 14m to Miller, you have to give another 25 million to Ramsey, which give us less room under the cap.

At the end of the day, im happy with the pick. No defensive player taken in this draft would be the difference of us making the playoffs or not.
Definitely agree with #3 and #4.

#5 is a fair point too. But you gotta realize Carr, Claiborne, Wilcox and Church are all free agents after this year. If we don't pay now, then we're going to have to pay a premium in free agency to replace them. Knowing the Cowboys, they probably have intentions on resigning all of them. :snoop: