Countdown to Elliot: Dallas Cowboys 2016 Offseason Thread

smitty22

Is now part of Thee Alliance. Ill die for this ish
Supporter
Daps
I like the Zeke pick but in retro if we would have taken Ramsey and got Henry in the second round I wouldn't have been mad at that either. I know after being burned by the Claiborne pick the Boys would be hesitant to take Jalen though. Cant blame them for that especially since I think Ramsey may not even end up being the best defensive back in his class.
Yeah if Rasmey was gonna play safety i thought that should have been the pick. Zeke will bring a different dynamic to the running back position though.

Spade

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DC/Texas/Chicago
I think they simply wasn't as high on Miller. I don't know for sure. Perhaps they are not as high on free agent backs. I don't know. I do wonder what is their plan on defense though specifically on the d-line. I don't count Gregory but DLaw was coming into his own and that's a big loss for the first four games. Who will they generate pressure from?

BlueHeffner

Veteran
Daps
I like the Zeke pick but in retro if we would have taken Ramsey and got Henry in the second round I wouldn't have been mad at that either. I know after being burned by the Claiborne pick the Boys would be hesitant to take Jalen though. Cant blame them for that especially since I think Ramsey may not even end up being the best defensive back in his class.
But say if Jaylon Smith is healthy and makes a full recovery, who would you rather have:

Jaylon Smith and Zeke Elliot
Or
Jalen Ramsey and Derrick Henry
:jbhmmm:

Primetime21

This my city
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lemongrass, cherries, alkaline water
Posted this on CZ, I'll do the same here b/c it's my main concern. Overall, I'm pleased with the draft but the debate between these two players is still bothering. I'm not confident that the Cowboys allocated their resources properly here. We could have had Lamar Miller for less money and used the 4th pick somewhere else, most likely on Ramsey. Granted, Miller is a few years older but he's a known commodity and also considered a "complete back" just like Elliott. We all agree that both players would improve our run game from last year but is the difference between Elliott and Miller worth a Jalen Ramsey and $11 million dollars? What do you guys think? I don't have a strong stance on this so I'm open to some convincing.

Elliott (21 yrs old) - 4 yrs/$25 million (fully guaranteed)

or

Miller (25 yrs old) - 4 yrs/$26 million (14M guaranteed) + Jalen Ramsey or another player at #4

like @BlueHeffner said I was on the Lamar Miller train pretty heavy. I posted this a couple of weeks ago

These cheap b*stards have no foresight at all. We could've signed Lamar Miller, traded down in the draft and built a real bully on defense. Im talking Billings, Spence/Nkemdiche, and a Karl Joseph type.

They went bargain shopping with Morris. Having him and McFadden is redundant if they draft Elliott. The problem is he's too good a prospect to pass up. This all could've been avoided if they werent penny pinching

Granted you can mix and match the defensive prospects we could've attained. So whether that's Ramsey at 4, or a guy like Rankins in a trade down the window would've been open to secure 2-3 day 1 impact players on the defensive side of the ball as opposed to what we ended up with. This could have been a really disastrous draft if they were able to swing that trade for Lynch but I'm not complaining with the final result.

Reggie

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Virginia
But say if Jaylon Smith is healthy and makes a full recovery, who would you rather have:

Jaylon Smith and Zeke Elliot
Or
Jalen Ramsey and Derrick Henry
:jbhmmm:
That's a damn good question bruh. Smith is the x factor. If he comes back healthy and reaches his potential then we have a star linebacker for the next 10-12 years.

philmonroe

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The 215
Posted this on CZ, I'll do the same here b/c it's my main concern. Overall, I'm pleased with the draft but the debate between these two players is still bothering. I'm not confident that the Cowboys allocated their resources properly here. We could have had Lamar Miller for less money and used the 4th pick somewhere else, most likely on Ramsey. Granted, Miller is a few years older but he's a known commodity and also considered a "complete back" just like Elliott. We all agree that both players would improve our run game from last year but is the difference between Elliott and Miller worth a Jalen Ramsey and $11 million dollars? What do you guys think? I don't have a strong stance on this so I'm open to some convincing.

or

Miller (25 yrs old) - 4 yrs/$26 million (14M guaranteed) + Jalen Ramsey or another player at #4
I think at this point who cares. This shyt ain't going to change anything now so no need to keep going over and over all the situations that could've been. If they picked Ramsey even though I wanted Zeke if not a QB I'm like let's do it. Don't really care too much about "resources" esp when last year this time a lot of people wasn't even fukking with McFadden now he everybody's favorite. For once I'd like to see what somebody with speed and power can do behind the line instead of good running last year and 2014 with Murray doing his thing but also missing holes/yards quite a few times even with all them yards. Lastly IMO we already have Ramsey in Jones and if you aren't sure dude can play cb why draft dude? If he just a safety is that not the dreaded "allocation" debate having two expensive safeties? That's why I'm not trying to hear the comparison back and forth at least until some games play out and we see whats what. No offense to you or anybody else but until we play games we can't really know much of anything right now.

Primetime21

This my city
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lemongrass, cherries, alkaline water
I really hope these rookies seize the opportunity in front of them. Mainly Prescott, Elliott, Jaylon, and to a lesser extent that ball player they got from Baylor. All of them have future HOF's, all pro players, quality veterans at their respective positions to learn the game from. They should be soaking up as much knowledge as they can

Buggsy Mogues

My spot is solidified if you ask me
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
City of Angels :blessed:

or

you're Zordon on CZ ? :ohhh:

Codeine Bryant

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW
Pretty much anybody this team drafts after the 4th round is as good as cut.

Who was the last late round pick we selected who actually even saw the playing field? Jay Ratliff? What year was that, 2005?

Exception being the RB. I think he's the replacement for Dunbar after his 1 year deal is up. McFadden should be cut now, but we'll let him finish his deal here and then next year we'll have Elliott, Morris (1 yr), and Darius Jackson.

The other guys won't even be on the roster in a couple years. BW Webb, Geoff Swaim status.

Also, Dak Prescott still sucks.

kevm3

follower of Jesus
Supporter
Daps
If all we get is a backup QB out of Dak, that's not a bad investment for a late 4th. Drafting Dak also means we don't have to give up a fortune in this draft, which has been questionable at QB.

Codeine Bryant

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW
If all we get is a backup QB out of Dak, that's not a bad investment for a late 4th. Drafting Dak also means we don't have to give up a fortune in this draft, which has been questionable at QB.
Yeah I'm not necessarily complaining about the pick. We needed to take a QB.

I just think he sucks :manny: I hope I'm wrong