Corporate Peeps: Fade vs Haircut

Juliano Soprano

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
he will hit a ceiling at some point.....I work in DOD and seen the top of the top....nobody got dreads...also look on the wall of any corporation where they have board members and top-level exec's.....any of them got dreads???

It is what it is...
ehh...How many of those people are black? Serious question

It's a banking/investment company, Interned with them last summer and they offered 62K

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
exactly.

lets not compare Financial Services to Technology to Consomer Staples
or marketing positions to finance
apples and oranges brehs.

Dude comparing a liberal arts professor to Logistics Director....

Tom

Banned
Daps
Reppin
They see me trolling, they hating.....
if you guys are admitting that "black" hair plays a role in whether or not you get a corporate job then you're also admitting that skin color plays a role, right?

being black in general lowers your chances, right?

dtownreppin214

l'immortale
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Shags & Leathers
exactly.

lets not compare Financial Services to Technology to Consomer Staples
or marketing positions to finance
apples and oranges brehs.

word. the OP said IB, so it's going to be a lot more conservative than a job at a commercial bank or even a proprietary bank. you got to be clean cut for most of the big IB's, especially now when the jobs are much more competitive after 2007.

Silver Surfer

Veteran
Bushed
Daps
ehh...How many of those people are black? Serious question

It's a banking/investment company, Interned with them last summer and they offered 62K

I have seen at least 7 up there....mind you I work with Military/Civilians/Contractors....top dogs come in ALL colors

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
if you guys are admitting that "black" hair plays a role in whether or not you get a corporate job then you're also admitting that skin color plays a role, right?

being black in general lowers your chances, right?

definitely

Ohene

Free Sheist
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
word. the OP said IB, so it's going to be a lot more conservative than a job at a commercial bank or even a proprietary bank. you got to be clean cut for most of the big IB's, especially now when the jobs are much more competitive after 2007.

Exactly, head into a meeting with your managing director with a scruff beard and doodoo dreads. He gonna look at you like :sitdown:

Its already hard enough for us as it is. why make it even harder by coming to work looking like scrubs. and quite frankly i'd personally never grow dreads anyway or an outlandish beard

Juliano Soprano

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I have seen at least 7 up there....mind you I work with Military/Civilians/Contractors....top dogs come in ALL colors

See you talking about military of course you have to be extremely well groomed.

One thing people need to understand is that you have to do your thing in college, and not only academically, if you want to choose where you want your career to start, and how they accept you. My cousin did this, and he got to choose his path, it didn't hurt that they knew his work so they overlooked the hairstyle.

dtownreppin214

l'immortale
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Shags & Leathers
Exactly, head into a meeting with your managing director with a scruff beard and doodoo dreads. He gonna look at you like :sitdown:

Its already hard enough for us as it is. why make it even harder by coming to work looking like scrubs

the thing is that managing director personally might not have a problem with a beard or dreads. but they have to be mindful of how their employees are presented to their clients and how their clients might react to seeing that hairstyle. especially if they work in wealth mgmt where there is a lot of interaction with clients. one of my good friends is a recruiter at SIG in chicago, he specifically told me to get rid of the taper fades. i could careless, it's just hair.