Cornel West is openly shytting on Ta-Nehisi Coates. What. The fukk?!

Paradise50

Superstar
Daps
nikkas still mad that nikkas didn't get in formation w/ Hillary :mjlol:

y'all the real c00ns

shadowking

All Star
Daps
wftbm5D.gif

these brothers should be forming like voltron instead of arguing and being unproductive. it's ok and even necessary to be critical of obama's shortcomings, but once cornel fully embraced being an agent of divide and conquer he went too far. we need all these guys working together for us to make it.

This is what I don't understand. Criticisms of Obama is necessary even encouraged because you don't expect him to be perfect by any stretch of the imagination. You can even consider naive during the first 3 years of his presidency.

You can't consider him all powerful to solve AA issues that have plagued the country for centuries in two terms...that's ludacris

Gravity

Banned
Daps
I said before it is silly for these black intellectuals to go at each other.

Second you can get on west for supporting Jill Stein. But lets not act like he was supporting Trump. Stein was a green party individual and many folks supported her instead Trump or Hillary.

Also West has never supported Trump he has called him a neo-facist and been calling him out for at leat the last year.

I got my issues with West but folks need to be accurate.
Supporting Jill Stein was supporting trump, especially when it became clear that the race was going to be close. Jill Stein had no chance to win and everybody knew it. That was a bytch ass cop out. The choice was between trump and Clinton. The white supremacists made a power move in electing trump and blacks like west indirectly helped.

I’ve got my issues with Coates too, but West sounds like a clown here. He’s talking that same liberal “what about class, patriarchy, and gender” bullshyt so obviously his beef is just personal. His a personal problem with this car and Obama, that’s all this is about.

Claudex

Lord have mercy!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Motherland
for those of us who are really familiar with coates, his father was a black fire breathing militant who could not stand the system. to most of us, this version of coates is a huge surprises

Don't be cryptic breh, a huge pleasant or unpleasant surprise?

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
This is a prime example of neoliberal being an empty epithet used to refer to the elite or establishment. It used to refer to specific economic practices and ideology and now basically means establishment politician or prominent person I dislike.

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Supporting Jill Stein was supporting trump, especially when it became clear that the race was going to be close. Jill Stein had no chance to win and everybody knew it. That was a bytch ass cop out. The choice was between trump and Clinton. The white supremacists made a power move in electing trump and blacks like west indirectly helped.

I’ve got my issues with Coates too, but West sounds like a clown here. He’s talking that same liberal “what about class, patriarchy, and gender” bullshyt so obviously his beef is just personal. His a personal problem with this car and Obama, that’s all this is about.
That he never revisited his support for Stein and his consistent talking point that Clinton and Trump are indistinguishable is all you need to know.

Its one year into the Trump admin, with major legislative initiatives that align with his interest in economic justice ( the tax bill) and yet dude still wants to rehash his beef with Obama and Coates.

Remember this take too:

Mr Rager

Leader of the Delinquents
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Mars
Black intellectualism now is seemingly more focused on generating bumper sticker "pro black" clickbait articles than creating actual solutions and plans of action

I'm with Cornel on this one

Mr Rager

Leader of the Delinquents
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Mars
That he never revisited his support for Stein and his consistent talking point that Clinton and Trump are indistinguishable is all you need to know.

Its one year into the Trump admin, with major legislative initiatives that align with his interest in economic justice ( the tax bill) and yet dude still wants to rehash his beef with Obama and Coates.

Remember this take too:

Ehhh I see this as more of a buck against party driven politics than an outright Trump endoresement....ive seen worse on this site alone :coffee:

NoChillJones

Banned
Daps
Cannot believe Black people listen to dusty intellectual masturbating socialites like Cornel West or Ta-Nehisi Coates still.

Both are irrelevant to Black society.

Cornel West is a very intelligent brother and unlike some of these other "professors" he is one who walks what he talks

However he is a hater and been hating on Obama for years, I suspect because he was not included as one of the black elite when Obama was sending out his inventions to the who's who of black elites shorty before and after his initial election. Him and Tavis Smiley have been mad salty for a while.

thatrapsfan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ehhh I see this as more of a buck against party driven politics than an outright Trump endoresement....ive seen worse on this site alone :coffee:
I dont think its an endorsement I just think its a very bad opinion.

This was bad too:
Goodbye, American neoliberalism. A new era is here | Cornel West

Id be interested in him trying to revisit his positions that both candidates and both parties were two sides of the same coin, rather than a rehashed argument largely about an admin that is no longer in power.

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
:rudy: Coates' talking points are in touch with the average working class black american?

stop it. he's a scholar. He's picking up where dyson/west/gates is leaving off.

I just looked up a speech of his on youtube where he's lecturing on slavery and this is a quote from his verbatim:
"....when we talk about jim crow which obviously came from slavery, we find ourselves speaking to a sentimental language..."

^^^ how does this help working class poor black folks in southside chicago, RIGHT NOW.

not knocking his hustle, but he's not for us, he's for these muthafukkas:
stock-photo-closeup-portrait-of-young-succesful-bearded-hipster-man-with-shirt-and-glasses-over-a-white-447852643.jpg

I think so... and if it doesn't -- it ignites something in them to learn about.

On Chicago: It doesn't, but he is connecting the past to the future. Most people don't understand how Jim Crow (the past) affects them today.

Coates is not an activist -- he is a writer -- he is very clear about that. He is for us -- but he is writing about us for us and others. The Atlantic is the platform that has allowed him to do so.

West is an Activist and a writer.

Coates is speaking for my parents and family in the South -- letting white people how their evil ass ancestors and them currently are still the same -- but nicely :smile:

He's a Libra - so we know how to shyt on someone in a polite way.