Cormega Gives His Opinion on Jay Z's 'Reasonable Doubt' Album

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
Because of ONE SONG on that album. If I ruled the world with Lauryn which peaked at #53 on the charts. the same Lauryn who was also on the Score in released that year 1996, an album which also was on the top of the charts for four weeks and had 3 songs in the top 25 of the charts.
Much of the love for It was Written came from Lauryn's popularity at that time which helped Nas. If she doesn't appear on that album, I doubt he charts as high. Shoot....Aint no Niqqa by Jay charted higher than I ruled the world.

Pink Suit Nas did not stand out from Jay, Prodigy, Pac,
Street Dreams charted at 22 so...

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Is Reasonable Doubt the most divisive album of all-time?

The truth is that in real-time, it was an afterthought. I still can't understand how people debate that. However, it did speak to a certain type of hustler that were waiting for something like that. And people that bought it, also liked it. These are also truths. Chicks liked it because of Ain't No Ninja, a couple of other tracks the average hip-hop head liked - pretty much the same tracks that Mega mentioned. However, most people didn't think Jay-Z was anything special at that time as a lyricist, not in wittiness, stories, flow. This is said not only by the hip-hop listeners, but dudes in the industry as well. Listen to Clark Kent tell stories of how "such and such" weren't feeling Jay-Z, and how was one of the few believers.

And yes, Jay did go on a campaign to elevate the album's status. Who he became also helped elevate it. Hell, if he did the same for Vol 1, people would agree there as well.

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718

The truth is that in real-time, it was an afterthought. I still can't understand how people debate that. However, it did speak to a certain type of hustler that were waiting for something like that. And people that bought it, also liked it. These are also truths. Chicks liked it because of Ain't No Ninja, a couple of other tracks the average hip-hop head liked - pretty much the same tracks that Mega mentioned. However, most people didn't think Jay-Z was anything special at that time as a lyricist, not in wittiness, stories, flow. This is said not only by the hip-hop listeners, but dudes in the industry as well. Listen to Clark Kent tell stories of how "such and such" weren't feeling Jay-Z, and how was one of the few believers.

And yes, Jay did go on a campaign to elevate the album's status. Who he became also helped elevate it. Hell, if he did the same for Vol 1, people would agree there as well.
Vol. 1 has a had a revisionist campaign from fans for 20 years now in spite of Jay repeatedly DENOUNCING that album in public, actually.

And Clark Kent was talking about Jay in the pre-RD days of having to convince people like Biggie etc. He consistently says that RD got the streets on board.

Shadow King

Quiet N***a Loud Choppa
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hometown of Cherokee at Law

Bro's done it a million times since '96. When he wants, he can take it back to that.

I guess I'm in the minority but this isn't D'Evils/RD level Jay to me :yeshrug:
The Booth- "It takes time for albums to be considered classic"

Also The Booth- "Nobody said Reasonable Doubt was a classic when it dropped"

^^^ ya'll change argument when it no longer suits the narrative being pushed.
The Booth generally ran this argument in the past decade when they were gatekeeping and didn't want to admit a modern artist likely had one.

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC

Not divisive at all.

Not until after "Ether" and the weird overnight Nas fans started trying their best to sh*t on RD. People talk about sales today, but nobody cared about gold or platinum in the 90's, unless you were an artist or worked at a label yourself. We didn't know how much any of these albums sold. RD was never an afterthought or "inflated" years later. When it dropped, it was loved.

Ras Kass was on tour with Jay, going state to state for Priority Records, to promote Soul on Ice. Jay was promoting RD. Ras Kass said in every city they went to, all the people already knew the words to the songs on RD. This wasn't a NY tour. This was across the country. He said Jay refused to ride in the Priority Records van, and decided to rent luxury vehicles instead. But at every show, the crowd knew the lyrics to the album. So when we see people come on here 28 years later, and try to rewrite the impact of an album they weren't even there for, we know what it is. The weirdos online either weren't there, or they don’t go outside. Because none of the sh*t they try to speak on in terms of music from this era are ever accurate.

Last edited: