Cormega Gives His Opinion on Jay Z's 'Reasonable Doubt' Album

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York
He must be lying because I've been reading for years on SOHH and The Coli that no one cared about Reasonable Doubt when it dropped. Sure, these were likely posters from Iowa and were possibly five years old at the time, but I’ll believe them instead of Cormega.

Facts, Mega was 1 of the dusty aggy old heads who couldn't wait to get out of jail and hate on the young star from his own hood.

of course he sukking jay'z dikk.

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
The Mega slander and downplaying on this site is :snoop: There was a time when Mega was the biggest independent rapper in the world. Dude was pushing hundreds of thousands of units independently.

These dudes will turn on anyone that gives Jay props. The hate is wild.

Frump

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Pink Suit Nas did not stand out from Jay, Prodigy, Pac,

Are you talking as an MC?

IWW was Nas’ best work as an MC. He became a even better storyteller and more well rounded.

You’re right that 96’ was insanely loaded but Nas at the time was as good as any of those rappers you mentioned.

I’m glad you mentioned Prodigy though because he was also as good as any MC alive in 96 imo

maxamusa

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Old York

IWW was Nas’ best work as an MC. He became a even better storyteller and more well rounded.

You’re right that 96’ was insanely loaded but Nas at the time was as good as any of those rappers you mentioned.

I’m glad you mentioned Prodigy though because he was also as good as any MC alive in 96 imo

96 NYC might be the pinnacle if we keeping it a buck.

Still Benefited

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Wrong

Both didn’t sell tremendously well initially but only one was instantly declared a musical achievement.

By a small number of people. So do the masses who decided Illmatic was a classic well after the fact matter? Or were they just brainwashed?

And if they werent brainwashed. How can you say those who decided RD was classic when they finally heard it were brainwashed:mjlol:

Fine,lets say a million people thought Illmatic was classic in real time. Tens of millions have heard RD by now. And I can guarantee more than a million genuinely think its a classic. So theres literally no difference.

Daps
By a small number of people. So do the masses who decided Illmatic was a classic well after the fact matter? Or were they just brainwashed?

And if they werent brainwashed. How can you say those who decided RD was classic when they finally heard it were brainwashed:mjlol:

Fine,lets say a million people thought Illmatic was classic in real time. Tens of millions have heard RD by now. And I can guarantee more than a million genuinely think its a classic. So theres literally no difference.

bg,f8f8f8-flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

Keep Going

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps

Not as an MC. Just that year being that year

Daps
Jay was once a face in the crowd
Jay once had to use the bathroom as a dressing room during the No Way Out tour

Why his fans are so adamant to downplay these facts I’ll never know

Reasonable Doubt was no stronger of an album than what was coming out or nikkax came to expect in a great year like that :yeshrug:

Daps
Reppin
NULL
You could say the same about Illmatic in that case. At least nobody cared outside of New York. Both were local classics that became national as they grew in stature and visibility. Well,alot of people have dropped local classics.

Now if you wanna argue RD isnt even a local classic like Illmatic,youd have to be from New York to say that.

But it’s a fact nobody really cared about Illmatic like that when it dropped either. But later it went on to be regarded as a classic nationally. So i dont really see the difference.
As a Jay Z stan. Nas was regarded as the Jesus being resurrected when illmatic dropped. There was a buzz about him from the streets of New York to the music industry that was unique. While I acknowledge that that didn’t mean shyt in Houston or the bay. Nas really was the golden child

Awesome Wells

The Ghost of Jack Tripper
Daps
Reppin
Uptown, NYC
And automatically agree with anyone who disses him.

These cats seriously need to be studied.

Truth.

But these ain't real Hip Hop heads. Their whole identify is based in trying to go against what they think other people will say or whatever they think is the "popular" opinion. Even if that means trying to discredit actual certified classic albums. Losers.

I'm Blackman

Prep time > Everything
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside of Gotham (Montgomery, AL)
Is Reasonable Doubt the most divisive album of all-time?

The truth is that in real-time, it was an afterthought. I still can't understand how people debate that. However, it did speak to a certain type of hustler that were waiting for something like that. And people that bought it, also liked it. These are also truths. Chicks liked it because of Ain't No Ninja, a couple of other tracks the average hip-hop head liked - pretty much the same tracks that Mega mentioned. However, most people didn't think Jay-Z was anything special at that time as a lyricist, not in wittiness, stories, flow. This is said not only by the hip-hop listeners, but dudes in the industry as well. Listen to Clark Kent tell stories of how "such and such" weren't feeling Jay-Z, and how was one of the few believers.

And yes, Jay did go on a campaign to elevate the album's status. Who he became also helped elevate it. Hell, if he did the same for Vol 1, people would agree there as well.

this