Copa América 2024 [6/20-7/14] “Coming 2 America” (Final: Argentina/Colombia)

Who Wins The 2024 Copa América?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Plus, I think many of you are also not accounting for the modern era.

Tiktok, Youtube, Instagram, Twitter, Reddit, etc. there are many avenues for these kids where soccer shows up all the time.

We live in an age where you don't have to be watching ESPN to get sports.

The people now more than ever can decide the content they want to watch and communities they want to be a part of.

It's a major sport, but Soccer just don't hit the same here.

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
Basketball season and football season start at around the same time basketball got so big because they actually made it super accessible with courts in every hood how many hoods got a soccer field how often does big soccer games come on tv for real vs Barca you had to buy espn + you can’t grow the game if it’s not accessible on mass scales like it is in other countries

You guys think too big. You don't need that much space to play football. Jumpers and bags for goal posts. Using trees for goal posts as well

Literally anyone who has played football as a kid played small sided games in the street/road up the parks etc. Anywhere that had a flattish surface grass concrete etc been used. As kids we use to play matches on a pitch that was half the size of a basketball court. The kids in Holland learnt how to play football on cobbled roads.

Last edited:

Bigwhite2498

All Star
Daps
I don't really think we need the game pushed on anyone. There's excitement for the game during world cup and some matchups, there are advertisments. People know who Messi, Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, etc. are.
See this is the biggest problem like American football got big because it was pushed upon us same with basketball both leagues made a conscious effort to push their sport upon us that’s how you grow the game also just because I know these guys don’t mean I really know them like I know who Taylor swift is but I can’t name more than one or two Taylor swift songs

Bigwhite2498

All Star
Daps
You guys think too big. You don't need that much space to play football. Jumpers and bags for goal posts. Using trees for goal posts as well

Literally anymore who has played football as a kid played small sided games in the street/road up the parks etc. Anywhere that had a flattish surface grass concrete etc been used. As kids we use to play matches on a pitch that was half the size of a basketball court. The kids in Holland learnt how to play football on cobbled roads.
I can understand that but you not playing soccer on most American basketball courts they mostly always got basketball games going on and overseas has a built up culture like we play football in the street because it’s a culture thing first we have to build the culture then kids will start playing everywhere

Bigwhite2498

All Star
Daps
Plus, I think many of you are also not accounting for the modern era.

Tiktok, Youtube, Instagram, Twitter, Reddit, etc. there are many avenues for these kids where soccer shows up all the time.

We live in an age where you don't have to be watching ESPN to get sports.

The people now more than ever can decide the content they want to watch and communities they want to be a part of.

It's a major sport, but Soccer just don't hit the same here.
I would agree but you not gonna search up things just because especially kids you have to give them a reason.

Daps
Reppin
NYC

Yo this was a crazy moment
h5eyQFe.png

Is there anyone on the Coli that can smiley this?

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I would agree but you not gonna search up things just because especially kids you have to give them a reason.
I think interests tend to organically find people and that's for the best overall.

It's kind of what I mean though, if that's not the case anymore and we're basically forcing it on people, it's not as organic anymore.

Additionally, if you want to spread it on a massive scale you'll just make the people who want more time for American Football, Basketball, Baseball, etc. more annoyed as well. You don't really get something for nothing. You can't really grow soccer culturally without another American sport taking a hit (most likely baseball or basketball).

Like I can just imagine the boos now when a soccer commercial comes on during a baseball game :mjlol: :heh:

I think when you combine the internet and social media, there is a lot of surface area for soccer and opportunity to get into the sport to where at this point it's just a matter of it catching your interest enough for it do a deep dive.

Last edited:

num123

Speak like a child
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area/Chicago
Matt Crocker is a Welsh soccer administrator who is the technical director for the United States Soccer Federation.

:dead: Why is this British cac making decisions on our national team.
Damn:

Matt Crocker was the man solely responsible for re-hiring of Greg Berhalter as USMNT coach who became the first coach to lead a team playing on home soil in Copa America to a Group Stage exit since the tournament moved to Group Play in the 1980's.

Bigwhite2498

All Star
Daps
I think interests tend to organically find people and that's for the best overall.

It's kind of what I mean though, if that's not the case anymore and we're basically forcing it on people, it's not as organic anymore.

Additionally, if you want to spread it on a massive scale you'll just make the people who want more time for American Football, Basketball, Baseball, etc. more annoyed as well. You don't really get something for nothing. You can't really grow soccer culturally without another American sport taking a hit (most likely baseball or basketball).

I think when you combine the internet and social media, there is a lot of surface area for soccer and getting into the sport. At this point it's just a matter of it catching your interest enough for it do deep dive.
I can see your point but my counter point would be look at the wnba people for years said it was a bad product that’s why they don’t watch or wouldn’t even give it a chance then ESPN and the likes started to actually promote players on the college and wnba level and now it’s doing record breaking numbers and those same people who didn’t wanna watch now watch and say oh I was wrong it actually was a good product people have perceived biasas especially if something is promoted less than they naturally would think it is lesser than

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
I can see your point but my counter point would be look at the wnba people for years said it was a bad product that’s why they don’t watch or wouldn’t even give it a chance then ESPN and the likes started to actually promote players on the college and wnba level and now it’s doing record breaking numbers and those same people who didn’t wanna watch now watch and say oh I was wrong it actually was a good product people have perceived biasas especially if something is promoted less than they naturally would think it is lesser than
I mean, I definitely see how we haven't hit it's peak here in the U.S yet.

It's just still think that it's really unlikely to be transformative, especially seeing how much the Women's National Team did dominate for a stretch, maybe nearly a decade. There have also been other national soccer teams before then who have got pushes, other memorable events as well as like that game winner back in the 2000's where ol girl got that commercial with Kevin Garnett.

So there has been a lot of opportunity and interaction with the game of soccer over the years.

So while it's impossible for the sport to blow up and challenge the NFL, NBA and MLB, it's not probable either at this point.

Plus when the WNBA starts overlapping the NFL and College Football season, that'll be a different story for them.

Last edited:

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
I can understand that but you not playing soccer on most American basketball courts they mostly always got basketball games going on and overseas has a built up culture like we play football in the street because it’s a culture thing first we have to build the culture then kids will start playing everywhere

I know the basketball courts will be busy. I was using it more of scope of size of where you can play a small sided games on. Then saying play on basketball courts.

Bigwhite2498

All Star
Daps
I know the basketball courts will be busy. I was using it more of scope of size of where you can play a small sided games on. Then saying play on basketball courts.
Oh I know breh I was just saying first we have to build that culture then it will happen

Bigwhite2498

All Star
Daps
I mean, I definitely see how we haven't hit it's peak here in the U.S yet.

It's just still think that it's really unlikely to be transformative, especially seeing how much the Women's National Team did dominate for a stretch, maybe nearly a decade. There have also been other national soccer teams before then who have got pushes, other memorable events as well as like that game winner back in the 2000's where ol girl got that commercial with Kevin Garnett.

So there has been a lot of opportunity and interaction with the game of soccer over the years.

So while it's impossible for the sport to blow up and challenge the NFL, NBA and MLB, it's not probable either at this point.

Plus when the WNBA starts overlapping the NFL and College Football season, that'll be a different story for them.
Definitely but I will say the women’s team being so dominant is why women’s basketball suffered so much imo every girl wanted to be on the national team. We need that for our men’s team