Copa América 2024 [6/20-7/14] “Coming 2 America” (Final: Argentina/Colombia)

Who Wins The 2024 Copa América?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bigwhite2498

All Star
Daps
A lot of would'ves and could'ves still going on in this thread :pachaha:

At the end of the day either you do or you don't.

We've been trying to cultivate the culture for soccer, let's act like we haven't been putting resources into it. They try to put on a soccer ad on here and people on some "wHo?!?!"

shyt happens every four years for the last three decades, every single time:

USA basically gets handled up and embarrassed year-after-year, people get outraged, then move on with their lives.

Kids don't even know what a World Cup is and are paying more attention to the WNBA right now. How do you fix that? You probably won't in this lifetime.

A major obstacle is this thing called American Football. If that wasn't there you'd have an area you can slip a soccer season into where people would probably care about it. As it stands right now sports season goes American Football -> Basketball -> Baseball ~ Now the WNBA has the summer. shyt is over.

The other obstacle is overall care. The Women's Soccer National Team won a World Cup a few years ago and was competitive year-after-year from there but it didn't put Soccer here anywhere close to where the WNBA is at right now. The mob taste for soccer here isn't the same.
Basketball season and football season start at around the same time basketball got so big because they actually made it super accessible with courts in every hood how many hoods got a soccer field how often does big soccer games come on tv for real vs Barca you had to buy espn + you can’t grow the game if it’s not accessible on mass scales like it is in other countries

Bigwhite2498

All Star
Daps
See my most recent post.

Regarding the bolded: that's kind of my point here though. People acting like we can make someone like that or if more of our athletes play soccer we'll have another Messi. Like the LeBron of soccer.

It's just not that simple because of how special players like that are.

At 5'7 the lack of a height requirement opens the game up to the whole world, America included ,but there's a reason why we don't have a Messi it's just not common. I don't know why people expect us to produce someone like that. It simply could or couldn't happen, it's no guarantee.

We say the same thing every single year/four year cycle. Enough would've and could'ves. The reality is, you can't force our people here to love soccer like that. Now that it's behind a paywall even less so.
We don’t need a Messi tho Messi has one exactly one World Cup Ronaldo has won zero world cups we just need high level players not some once in a generation type guy

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Basketball season and football season start at around the same time basketball got so big because they actually made it super accessible with courts in every hood how many hoods got a soccer field how often does big soccer games come on tv for real vs Barca you had to buy espn + you can’t grow the game if it’s not accessible on mass scales like it is in other countries
Basketball got so big compared to soccer because people like the way basketball looks more than soccer, that's all there is to it.

You can't force people to like a sport, much less an entire country.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
My wife's family live in a Black neighborhood around San Diego. There's a park/field right by where she stays and it's often packed with kids playing soccer. Most of the people who play are Mexican and some White. Completely free to play game when they bring a ball out there.

It's as accessible as anything else. So I don't buy that argument.
Most places that have a basketball court, you can set up soccer.
shyt, you can play soccer on a basketball court like they do in other countries.

The Women's National Team won a World Cup and were dominating.
Their impact was nothing near what Caitlin Clark did recently.

We just don't care about the sport organically like that. The culture here don't rock with it. It's that simple.

Last edited:

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
See my most recent post.

Regarding the bolded: that's kind of my point here though. People acting like we can make someone like that or if more of our athletes play soccer we'll have another Messi. Like the LeBron of soccer.

It's just not that simple because of how special players like that are.

At 5'7 the lack of a height requirement opens the game up to the whole world, America included ,but there's a reason why we don't have a Messi it's just not common.

We don't need to make Messi. Plenty of teams have performed internationally without a Messi. Germany is one of them, so is Spain. All you need to do is make a crop of players that all understand a technical style of play. That's part of the issue...people think you need to make a Messi when if you look at who wins international tournaments, it's not often one man doing it all.

Even France at it's peak had a full compliment of superstars. Mbappe BECAME a star in that team. But without Matuidi, Pogba, Griezmann, Giroud and Varane, Mbappe doesn't become MBAPPE. You only can make a generational talent if other VERY talented players are around them....and that simply isn't happening on a national scale in the US.

Also, btw. Messi wasn't developed in Argentina. He was developed in SPAIN.

Bigwhite2498

All Star
Daps
Basketball got so big compared to soccer because people like the way basketball looks more than soccer, that's all there is to it.

You can't force people to like a sport, much less an entire country.
The only time we see soccer in America is like the World Cup lol how do you expect it to get big if we only really see it every 4 years

Bigwhite2498

All Star
Daps
We don't need to make Messi. Plenty of teams have performed internationally without a Messi. Germany is one of them, so is Spain. All you need to do is make a crop of players that all understand a technical style of play. That's part of the issue...people think you need to make a Messi when if you look at who wins international tournaments, it's not often one man doing it all.

Even France at it's peak had a full compliment of superstars. Mbappe BECAME a star in that team. But without Matuidi, Pogba, Griezmann, Giroud and Varane, Mbappe doesn't become MBAPPE. You only can make a generational talent if other VERY talented players are around them....and that simply isn't happening on a national scale in the US.

Also, btw. Messi wasn't developed in Argentina. He was developed in SPAIN.
Thank you I keep saying we don’t need a Messi we need high level players Argentina produces so many high level players besides Messi

Mike Nasty

Superstar
Daps

Bigwhite2498

All Star
Daps
My wife's family live in a Black neighborhood around San Diego. There's a park/field right by where she stays and it's often packed with kids playing soccer. Most of the people who play are Mexican and some White. Completely free to play game when they bring a ball out there.

It's as accessible as anything else. So I don't buy that argument.
Most places that have a basketball court, you can set up soccer.
shyt, you can play soccer on a basketball court like they do in other countries.

The Women's National Team won a World Cup and were dominating.
Their impact was nothing near what Caitlin Clark did recently.

We just don't care about the sport organically like that. The culture here don't rock with it. It's that simple.
They live in a black neighborhood where in San Diego because my point was basketball got so big because it was easy for underprivileged kids to play. The game was pretty boring before than

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
They live in a black neighborhood where in San Diego because my point was basketball got so big because it was easy for underprivileged kids to play. The game was pretty boring before than
I mean it's easier to play soccer than basketball.

The city got to build a basketball hoop.

You need a soccer ball and two cones to play soccer.

Basketball is more enticing to play because it's easier to play as you can use your hands, which feels much more natural for a human being.

Bigwhite2498

All Star
Daps
Meanwhile your nearest MLS stadium is probably packed each game.

What does that have to do with the vast majority of people only seeing or hearing about soccer when the World Cup comes also those stadiums are small high school fields in my state of Texas has stadium that big

Bigwhite2498

All Star
Daps
I mean it's easier to play soccer than basketball.

The city got to build a basketball hoop.

You need a soccer ball and two cones to play soccer. Basketball is more enticing to play because it's probably easier to play.
All you need is a ball and a basket to play basketball. I understand your point I really do. I’m just saying we as a country don’t actively try to make soccer cool the federation is mute until a World Cup comes around or something like this copa basketball pushed its way upon America and then the world

Bigwhite2498

All Star
Daps
and some countries make do with it and cultivate the love out of it with cardboard baskets because they love the sport.

Why hasn't it happened in America with soccer?
Well I just edited my other comment but I’ll put it here. I’m just saying we as a country don’t actively try to make soccer cool the federation is mute until a World Cup comes around or something like this copa basketball pushed its way upon America and then the world

Bigwhite2498

All Star
Daps
Like for example I come from a small town in Texas we knew of soccer because the Mexicans play it but it didn’t become like a big thing in my town until the high school got a soccer team now the kids here play soccer more than they want to play football or basketball.