Considering their tiny population are Jamaicans the most influential people ever?

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
You said Jazz is the most popular in the world which is not true. :yeshrug:

jazz is the most widespread music in the world historically speaking

Default / Elevator music ≠ most popular

Go to your average mall / resturant and 9/10 times there's Pop or Rock playing in stores. You can go on the street and ask someone if they know who Coltrane or Miles Davis bet they won't know but if you ask em who Katy Perry or Lady Gaga is they'll know

nah, it's mainly elevator music/light jazz/smooth jazz

Black Cobain

Donkey Punch? I Donkey Slap!
Daps
Reppin
New Afrika
Garvey had more support from Black Americans,
Biggie preformed a Black American genre,
Reggae was heavily, heavily influenced by RnB,
etc.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
If reggae was solely an American offshoot then we'd have American songs that sound like reggae
I think as Afro-Brazilians gain more rights and more media exposure they too can be influential like AAs and Jamaicans on a large scale. I mean they already influenced much of Brazilian culture(similar to what AAs did with American one). Not only that they created Capoeira and Samba which are already popular worldwide. Not only that but they are also gaining more traction in MMA/UFC.

@IllmaticDelta @Dip @Yehuda do yall agree?
idk
Brazil isn't doing so well economically and there's the language barrier

Frangala

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Le Grand Congo (Kin)
Jews 0.2% of the world's population - 15 million of them in the whole world however they make up 1/5th (20%) of all Nobel Prize winners across all categories (Sciences, Arts and Literature). So in my opinion, Jewish people are the most influential given their overall population size. It is also a benefit that there is a Jewish state and that the largest population of Jews outside of that Jewish state reside in the most powerful industrialized country in the United states of America.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
Brazil isn't doing so well economically and there's the language barrier

That didn't stop Capoera from becoming popular internationally. Also language barriers CERTAINLY did not stop Japanese anime from becoming popular worldwide either.

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
Those movies are not influential, they're good but definitely not groundbreaking. I don't really know how to classify African American cinema. We seem to focus on our everyday lives which in itself I suppose is a unique thing but it doesn't translate well because it can't influence others as they aren't black and not even black but rather African American as you can't expect a Ghanaian to really mimic our films.

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
Jews 0.2% of the world's population - 15 million of them in the whole world however they make up 1/5th of all Nobel Prize winners across all categories (Sciences, Arts and Literature). So in my opinion, Jewish people are the most influential given their overall population size. It is also a benefit that there is a Jewish state and that the largest population of Jews outside of that Jewish state reside in the most powerful industrialized country in the United states of America.

Yup. Also consider they've been influential in Europe for centuries, and still are to this day. TBH I had no idea they were only 15 million worlwide, that's like one Belgium and a half :heh:

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
That didn't stop Capoera from becoming popular internationally. Also language barriers CERTAINLY did not stop Japanese anime from becoming popular worldwide either.
capoeria isn't that popular globally afaik
Brazilian music is tho

Japan is also a world power with 100+ million people, billions in capital, American assistance, and made a concentrated effort to spread its culture globally

Frangala

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Le Grand Congo (Kin)
Yup. Also consider they've been influential in Europe for centuries, and still are to this day. TBH I had no idea they were only 15 million worlwide, that's like one Belgium and a half :heh:

Yea I was amazed when I found that too a few years back and also the Jewish population in New York City metro area (a little over 1 million) alone surpasses the Jewish population of any European COUNTRY considering that they had been influential and well-represented in Europe for centuries like you said

IllmaticDelta

Veteran
Daps
If reggae was solely an American offshoot then we'd have American songs that sound like reggaeidk

reggae = soul music (foundation) + native jamaican music. There are American songs with reggae-like basslines that pre-date Rocksteady and Reggae. Reggaes classic vocal harmony styles was lifted from Doo Wop and Curtis Mayfield.

:ehh::jbhmm:

PwCb5yB.png

FHV1T9Q.png

Te2uYqN.png

time stamped

@ 1:00

1OwWo8Z.jpg

16v5qiu.jpg

l1gK3Lv.jpg

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
capoeria isn't that popular globally afaik
Brazilian music is tho
Capoeria is quite popular worldwide. Especially when it comes to discussions about martial arts.

Japan is also a world power with 100+ million people, billions in capital, American assistance, and made a concentrated effort to spread its culture globally

You mentioned "language barriers."

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
Capoeria is quite popular worldwide. Especially when it comes to discussions about martial arts.

You mentioned "language barriers."
Language barriers are less significant when you have what I listed before

Even then it's important

Notice how amines/mangas are printed in/dubbed into 20+ languages upon release

There's little Afro Brazilian or Brazilian in general infrastructure aimed at promoted Afro Brazilian culture worldwide

This can changed but I think it will take awhile

Language is also important especially considering how Jamaican artists were/are told to make songs in English rather than patois to get played abroad

bnew

Veteran
Daps
I could agree, even in NY a ton of our culture has originated from someone of Jamaican descent. Marcus Garvey, Marley, Biggie. That said, they as a people have fallen off ever since their culture became more secular.

:comeon:Jamaicans became more secular?!:heh: