Comrades. All good things must come to an end. The American's Final Season thread.

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I had my borscht and potato dumplings, and I sat down to watch the last episode, it's always interesting for me to remember my life through what I watched, listened to, experienced at the time. I remember when this premiered in 2013, that closing scene where Phil Collins played as Liz and Paige had a body in the trunk, and after they began to kiss, after disposing of the corpse in the bay, and the final scenes of Stan finding nothing in his new neighbors garage.

I thought the final episodes stumbled a little in their unveiling of the Jennings through Stan's eyes, it hasn't quite flowed the way the series strongest moments have, and there was some of that tonight. But, the falling action of the finale was brilliant, and true to the show, but also hopeful and affirming, in a way I didn't expect. There was redemption found with Stan, and those scenes were powerful, I kept waiting for Liz and Phil, with Paige to overpower Stan and strangle him in the parking lot. I mean, that shows the kind of darkness The Americans operated in.

But, there was hope and humanity there. "Oh, and I don't know how to say this....but Renee may be one of us"

That scene with Oleg too, was wrenching.

Every scene after that was near perfect. That feeling when Phil looks over at the typical family in McDonalds, with a handful of food, and just wishes he was like them, though he doesn't know them really, he just doesn't want to be HIM. I know that feeling, when your problems and life have spiraled, and you would do anything to be one of the average, everyday people you are suddenly seeing for the first time. I remember those moments in my life.

Both music montages, as Stan returns to work with the guilt and anguish weighing on him, as he does surveillance for his former friends, and confidantes, who he knows will never show, with the knowledge Renee may be a spy, but he loves her anyway, because that's who Stan is. He covers her up, and moves forward.

The train scene was wrenching, as the music sweeps back in, and Paige stands alone on the track, the Jennings safe, but leaving behind what they loved the most in the world. I choked up. A final sacrifice, of too many. Stan talking quietly with Henry, and Paige having a drink in the stash house.

I think a near perfect end to the show, which managed to stay true to itself, and transcend it's brutal and unforgiving nature, if only in small moments, Liz and Phillip together in a country they will have to rediscover, the same way they will have rediscover themselves, after years of manipulative sex, depraved violence, dismemberments and stranglings, shootings and stabbings, children killing their parents, the devastation they have caused, violence that as spread from them, and infected everything around them.

If you have done things you regret, and have retained some humanity, you will always have to live with the things you have done. And hope that the good inside, can slowly overtake what's left as the years go by.

*I didn't know how to take the Renee scene, and I think the showrunners played it perfectly, I took it as a yes.

Last edited:

TheNatureBoy

Veteran
Daps
Man, that finale :wow:. Ultimately I agree that it's fitting that a show that was always at heart a family drama with spy dressing, methodically paced, and subdued wouldn't end with a climatic shootout or explosion but the anguish coming from the family breaking apart and never being the same again.

The 2 scenes that really got me were the phone call to Henry and Paige walking off the train and the look in her parents eyes :mjcry:. Then the 2 of them returning home to a country they don't even recognize anymore, after making so many sacrifices, (giving up their bodies and souls), to a cause neither one were fully invested in at the end.

Stan is devastated too, confirming that his best friend had been lying to him all these years :to:. I think if Henry knew, it would have completely destroyed him. Then Phillip drops the bombshell that his wife could possibly be a spy too and he will possibly never know :francis:. I definitely think the writers wanted to keep things ambiguous about Renee, but Stan did have a fondnesss for Russians, RIP Nina :sadcam:.

On the Paige tip, I definitely think she would be okay. She's not stepping off the train if she expects a lifetime behind bars. Only one who knows she knew was Stan and she's not saying anything. She could say her parents came and took her or anything and the Feds don't have anything on her. I also think she can find a way to see Henry as well, as he was a big part of her deciding to stay.

The homie Oleg in prison though :to:, dude just got married and had a kid.

Ciggavelli

|∞||∞||∞||∞|
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Ehhh, pretty good :ld:

The music was definitely on point this episode.

I’m gonna sleep it over before I properly evaluate it, but it’s definitely not the worst finale of the past 5 years, but it’s not the best either (Nothing is beating The Knick).

I’m sad to see the show up though :to:

JSS

Pro
Daps
That tension when they were driving in Russia :sadcam:.

I thought they might unload the clip on them at any time :bustback:.

They lost two kids but Phil still has a b*stard kid in Russia. Maybe he can finally meet him.

He can check on Martha while he's at it too :lolbron:.

Captain Crunch

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NY
@lotteryplaya
I’m with you, I think Paige offs herself, I mean she doesn’t really have anything to live for.

@JSS
I thought when Phil asked Arkady to pull the car over, he was about to visit his son or Martha.

Sidenote why did Gregory sacrifice himself? Liz said he can go to Russia, and we all know he likes PAWGS.

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
@lotteryplaya
I’m with you, I think Paige offs herself, I mean she doesn’t really have anything to live for.

@JSS
I thought when Phil asked Arkady to pull the car over, he was about to visit his son or Martha.

Sidenote why did Gregory sacrifice himself? Liz said he can go to Russia, and we all know he likes PAWGS.
Paige has Henry...

Stan might sympathize with her and the fact that she didn't run off with her parents.

Brozay

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
It seemed Stan didn't much care about Renee being a spy or not. After this whole thing I doubt he'll even stay at the FBI so he wouldn't be of much use anyway. As someone else said he kinda looked at her thinking "p*ssy is p*ssy" and not wanting to be alone.

The Paige stuff is the most puzzling in the sense that she really has no purpose nor anywhere to go. She couldn't even stay for Henry as he's marked and has Stan as his "guardian" of sorts. I mean, I get why she didn't go with her parents, but her ending is not only open ended but a complete mystery to me. She could've committed suicide at Claudia's or went to Argentina with Pastor Tim, or who the hell knows.

And even in the most honest conversation he ever had with Stan, his best friend, he STILL had to lie to him about not knowing about the murders and acting like his job didn't have to do with that type of stuff. As y'all said before, he's the most likeable "bad" guy ever :to: :to:

BTW, his acting was once again fukking incredible. The facial expressions showing sorrow, regret, sadness, shock felt so real the whole episode. And then, in the final scene when he's in the car he looks like a shocked/scared little kid when Arkady is driving them through Russia. GIVE THAT MAN AN EMMY :damn:

bro, matthew rhys was so incredible this whole series. its criminal he doesn't have an emmy

just a fantastic job

Brozay

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
@lotteryplaya

@JSS

it wouldnt be Paiges personality to commit suicide, thats an odd leap to make as a viewer IMO

Jhoon

Spontaneous Mishaps and Hijinks
Daps
it wouldnt be Paiges personality to commit suicide, thats an odd leap to make as a viewer IMO
There was a story in the news earlier this year or late last year that talked about a woman who was not the woman she pretended to be. I imagine Paige would return to the church, find a simp, and live her life. Then 30 years later she will be reunited with her nephews and nieces through through some DNA company.

The War Report

NewNewYork
Daps
Reppin
The Empire State
Yea, she stayed behind because she didn't want to leave Henry all alone. It would make no sense for her to do that. In reality, Paige and Henry have always been lonely when they had both of their parents. Now, they're literally that.

beejus

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Red, White, & Stonewashed Blue since '94
Man so many emotions. Even reading through this thread got me almost :mjcry: at work.

I liked the ending. It wasn’t a happy ending. It was pretty dark when you think about it. Kids lives both ruined. Phil and Liz who always put work before their kids in the end lose both kids because of their work. They are now back in a new Russia after years of being "Americanized." They don't have family or friends there. All they really have is each other. They are going to have see if their love is real now.

Henry's world is rocked, but honestly did he ever really have parents? Stan was the closest thing he had to an adult in his life.

Paige. Who knows what her next step is? She does have a Canadian passport and the only person I think who would ever catch her is Stan. Her life in a lot of ways is ruined. She'll never be able to go back to college as if nothing happened. Does she have what it takes to be a spy? Especially if she doesn't have the Center backing her.

Stan. No matter what Stan really was good at his job. He never wanted to believe his best friend and a family he really considered his own truly were spies. He loves Henry like a son (probably more then his real son) he chose family over country and work. As for Renee. She probably is a spy and Stan knows it. He found someone that he truly loves though and wants to spend the rest of his life with.

One of the GOAT tv shows and it ended pretty accordingly. No huge shootouts or unrealistic ending. Just 2 spies/Russian heroes who are going back home unappreciated after years of sacrifice.