Essential Coli-members what's the last thing you watched?

THE 101

House Painter
Daps
MV5BZGQxNWJhZDEtZTAyNC00ZmMyLWFlZGYtZjRjOWM4MjQwMTMwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTUzMTg2ODkz._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Adored this film to death. You cannot watch it on an empty stomach though. I have a deep appreciation for the culinary arts and love to see it represented well in film and television. This was an extension of that. It’s a very sensual project, with a lot of intimate camera angles that made me feel like I was right there in the kitchen. A film about love, and not just between the central leads, but the love of one’s craft.

If you’ve watched ‘The Bear’ and found yourself enjoying those quieter moments where Carmy and the crew get into the food prep and were on the grind at their kitchen stations, then you should have a good time with this one. Liked how this didn’t portray cooking in a spiffy clean manner like I see in most other stuff. A spotless kitchen while at work is unrealistic as hell, and it’s inevitable that you’ll make a mess at some point.

The food actually looked…delicious? I was expecting the opposite. All those colorful ingredients they were throwing into the pot, resulting in bomb ass dishes, and there I was chowing down on some fast mozzarella sticks and a calorie bomb milkshake. Film humbled my intake game quick.

Film looks dope....i know i'm gonna have to hit up a bistro after :wow:

pickles

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
#Byrdgang
I fukk with HBO MAX documentaries so I watched this one called They called Him Mostly Harmless. I feel like I read the story about him before so I knew some details. It is interesting only because people's initial perception of someone. It also made me think, would these people do all this effort for a person of color?

They Called Him Mostly Harmless – Review | HBO True-crime doc | Heaven of  Horror 1,000 × 563

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
MV5BMWVlYTVmYjUtZDM0NC00YzI5LTg2ZDktN2E2YTQ5OTdlMTU3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_.jpg
a lot of how horrible this is, I got to put in spoliers, the acting and casting real bad, off casting alone the Americans lost.

The sets looks real bad, I know they were going for realism but still. Just see Event Horizon or Supernova again, they do what this movie tried to do better.

so from space they can see multiple explosions cross the globe, they don't say where and either i can't read a globe topography without labels or made intentionally vague or both. The Americans win on the ground and they tried to get in contact with the station, its radio silence for most of the movie.

It ends up being one Russian dude, one mulatto American female. Half the movie is in Russian with no subtitles, so i couldn't decipher what happened. Ppl seem to die because intrastation politics, not because of a game of Risk. So they both complicit in ppl dying. They leave the station in the rocket with no idea on where they are going.

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
57OynsKfXje3igW1T1TZcHHTsdzQcoBgeoUMHCsfVBIVITxCJZs0rNjJUVYSeTOXY02wUxiqcqdxdDEnq0Lwlz0P8fr-B_8jz_g
early candidate for movie of the year for me.

Nico is 19 for those who wondering about that.

All three of these ppl on the poster are problematic as hell, Wendy bryd employs her usual parenting skills, Woody is in the movie due to an historical event I won't name here.

The protagonist is dealing with the fact that her family suffered a loss yet she wants to enjoy her teenage years. She discovers an opportunity to make new friends which leads to my favorite movie genre: 80s partying and hooking up. See, the world was a different place 20 years ago, not full of lames. No woke millennial themes here, wishing we could be better. Obviously the movie has a more serious story to tell but I don't care about, all I want to do is party and bullsh-.

The one issue I have with the film is this nuclear fission family that other movies have been doing recently. A black man just a sperm donor, off screen of course. You don't see any interracial relationship, just the outcome of one. It's Hollywood way of being diverse while stuffing their movies with as many yt ppl as possible.

The two black males in this movie got the personality of window valance. One dude in love with himself and awkward, the other dude just str8 up ashy.

But other than that, it's a nice lighthearted story considering the subject matter, 8/10

TheNatureBoy

Veteran
Daps
Skylines_%28film%29.jpg

Didn't realize this was the 3rd film in the series, but I had it in my Netflix queue for a while and wanted to check it out since it stars Lindsey Morgan and I hadn't seen her in anything since The 100 ended. The opening features enough exposition to get you to speed. Mostly a B grade sci-fi action film, with some fun moments and some interesting alien tech.

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
MV5BMTY4NzcwODg3Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTEwOTMyMw@@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

All respect to Leo, but I think Jim Carrey is insanely close to that #1 spot when it comes to on-screen chemistry with Kate Winslet. Shoutout to the powerful couples at my Alamo screening who chose to go see this during Valentine’s Day week of all weeks. Me? Oh, I was holding in my sobs alone.:mjcry:

I’ve always interpreted it as a bittersweet ending, but the fact that the clinic got exposed in the end leaves me with a glimmer of hope. This movie would’ve been way bleaker had that not happened and I’m glad Gondry made the change. Joel and Clementine seem to accept the flaws in one another and are willing to take the chance again, despite the inevitable pitfalls along the way. I took those loops at the end as them being an off-and-on couple. It’s not a Disney ending. It’s…life, and that’s why it’s one of my favorite films ever.

Whatever happened to Jon Brion, btw? I know he composed the score for ‘Lady Bird’ but I feel like it’s been crickets ever since. If PTA and Greenwood weren’t so tied at the hip (not that I’m complaining), ‘Licorice Pizza’ could’ve been a nice comeback collaboration for him. His music was so good here though, and the theater was such a game-changer in this regard. For example, I never picked up on the haunting, distorted version of Beck’s ‘Everybody’s Gotta Learn Sometime’ until now, symbolizing what I believe is Joel’s memories of Clementine being erased. This is exactly part of why I catch re-releases.

Address_Unknown

Jesus Loves you...Your Cat doesn't. {#Dogset}
Daps
T1RNNU56TUAuanBn

A family Saga about Wasteman and Wenches.
I ain't never seen a show that properly touched all it's themes so succinctly within the first opening scene like this show.
Man want to be a star.
Sister got talent and he hates it.
Father is a piece of shyt who ain't interested in raising his kids.
Mother can't handle or hold things in place so she has a fractured family.
The path of this show seems mad linear and Episode 1 properly pissed me off, but I kept with it and ended up changing my mind on alot of the characters who seemed mad one dimensional off strength of that opening episode.
It's a binge worthy show if you connect with it even though the music side, UK rap/Soul doesn't shine as strongly as I think it should, but that's a personal choice.
Guy who plays the father is the main star with such a tough role and he executes perfectly. Everyone else holds weight and I find no weak performances throughout which is rare. Good watch. Check it out.​

Lootpack

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DM[V]
MV5BMTc1MTYwMzg1N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNzM0MDY4Ng@@._V1_.jpg

Elizabeth Olsen with the MCU shackles off is :ohlawd:

Brie Larson, who gets a lot of flack on this board, is too but her theatrical roles lately aren’t really doing her much justice. Anytime these two land a serious role, I know they’ll kill it.

Anywho, I had to dive into Durkin’s filmography after ‘The Iron Claw’ and…yeah, this is another one of his that will stick with me. Just as harrowing. Revolves around the main lead (Olsen) returning to her sister after breaking away from a Manson-esque cult and juggles coming to terms with lifestyles and rules she’s not comfortable with in both settings. An interesting character study, and a look into a tragic tale of disassociation.

Initially thought the ambiguous ending was a bit of a narrative cop-out but I’ve grown into a big fan of it now. Regardless of whether the cult was following Martha or not, her trauma will haunt her for the foreseeable future. Living in a constant state paranoia like that has got to be the worst.