MF budz

All Star
Daps
In many ways, yeah. If you're not a big team with manufacturer having, you probably won't be winning. Red Bull Racing is the most recent exception to this when they had a big run of dominance from 2010-2014, but they also had arguably the best aerodynamicist and car designer in Adrian Newey. Before that it would have been McLaren, and Williams before that. Every now and then a privateer team will make big gains, but the season is long and if you aren't moving forward with your upgrades, you're moving backwards. For example, Ferrari went down a bad path with development last year and it took them too long to change course and correct, probably costing them the drivers championship. If their budget is in the hundreds of millions, imagine what would happen for a team that's barely putting together 20 or 30 million.

jj23 was on the money. F1 puts out regulations (or a formula, hence the name) and teams build a car from scratch from their interpretation of the regulations. Other than the tires, the rain light, the on-board cameras, and some FIA sensors, everything is bespoke. Even though Ferrari supplies the same engine to Alfa Romeo, the packaging of the cooling, electronics, etc. are one off. Even the ECU software is written by each team. Because everything is custom and they push the limits of performance, you end up with these insane 20+ million dollar budgets on the low end.

Indycar is much more affordable because there's a more spec parts. The chassis and aerodynamics is one design from Dallara. I'm pretty sure suspension and brake assemblies are spec. I think the only area for improvement is with the engine but I doubt teams get a say in that. There are only 2 engine suppliers right now, Chevy and Honda. From what I've seen they aren't too far off in performance. I think you can purchase an Indycar chassis for about 250 grand. I think some teams might be running a full season on around 5-8 million dollars. As far as racing goes, it's relatively affordable.

On terms of performance F1 is miles ahead of Indycar. At Circuit of the Americas in Austin, the lap time difference was like 14 seconds. F1 engines are more powerful, the aerodynamics are way stronger. Indycar engines aren't that far behind in horsepower, but they don't have the hybrid energy recovery systems that make F1 engines torquey as hell. Their aero is much simpler and they don't have power steering. I think the better direct comparison would be between Indycar and Formula 2, since the later is closer in performance. The only caveat is F2 is a feeder series to F1 while Indycar is the highest open wheel category in the US.

I think the last real difference is F1 doesn't race ovals. The closest they get to a speedway is Monza in Italy (actually was an oval in the beginning) or the circuit they run the Mexican GP at.
If they race Detroit again this year might go check it out.

What’s the money like in f1 and Indy? Like race winnings?

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps

I'm not sure. F1 doesn't pay drivers directly, it all goes through the teams. I think Indycar has some races where the driver gets dedicated prize money and the team gets its own share.

jj23

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Not sure about cash per each race but the F1 payment scheme is odd.

Because Ferrari has been with F1 from the onset, they get a tribute payment. When that is combined with race winnings, they made 205 million last year. In contrast, Mercedes won the championship but only got 177 million. The lowest payout was about 50 million. All in all there is nearly a billion dollars in prize money handed out.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Indy 500 Qualifying is about to start on NBC. I don't plan on watching the whole thing, but I'll be in and out.

MF budz

All Star
Daps
Not sure about cash per each race but the F1 payment scheme is odd.

Because Ferrari has been with F1 from the onset, they get a tribute payment. When that is combined with race winnings, they made 205 million last year. In contrast, Mercedes won the championship but only got 177 million. The lowest payout was about 50 million. All in all there is nearly a billion dollars in prize money handed out.
shyt how much does that Hamilton dude bring in?

jj23

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
shyt how much does that Hamilton dude bring in?
He makes about 50 million a year, and that's outside of endorsements and stuff.

Last time I checked he was worth nearly 300 mill.

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
maxresdefault.jpg

It’s going down tomorrow :whew:

F1 in the morning, Indy in the afternoon & the Coke 600 at night time :wow:

Hamilton to win Monaco

IDK enough about the Indy 500

Daniel Suarez has been looking good in practice all weekend. But I think Kyle Busch will win the 600

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I dont see how F1 and Indy drivers do it

those in-car cameras while they're going around the track have me shook and im laying in bed