staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Not a livery I can get down with :hhh:. I haven't watched any races this year. I got my F1TV Pro subscription and that's all I need in my life :banderas:. I watch every session onboard Hamilton so I can see a maestro at work :wow:. Chasing Schumacher now.

What days & channel does F1 come on? I’ve never seen an F1 race

Dega last week was probably the best nascar race in like 6 years. Fords & Toyota been dominating this year :wow:

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
What days & channel does F1 come on? I’ve never seen an F1 race

Dega last week was probably the best nascar race in like 6 years. Fords & Toyota been dominating this year :wow:
Typically every other weekend. Practice 1 and 2 on Fridays, Practice 3 and Qualifying on Saturday, Race on Sunday. The times vary because they're global, but expect a 9:10AM Eastern race start when they're in European countries. ESPN has coverage across their networks. Usually Practice 1 and 3 are in ESPN 3 or ESPN News. Qualifying and the Race on ESPN, sometimes ESPN. They broadcast Sky Sports F1's coverage, but you don't get everything. Sky gives between 15 and 90 minutes of pre and post session coverage, depending on the session, but ESPN will give you 15 minutes at best. For years, before ESPN got the broadcast rights in the US, I was finding Sky F1 streams to watch.

They're in Barcelona this weekend. First European race of the season, so everybody is bringing the first major updates. It should shake things up and hopefully make for a good race.

KingBeez

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area
Damn I haven't watched Nascar in years, but I just fired up my PS2 to play Nascar Chase for the Cup 2005.

It stopped working :francis:

Maybe I'll catch a race soon. I'd go to an actual event just to get hella drunk and tan :mjlol:

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
@Obreh Winfrey @KingBeez did y’all just watch the all star race?

Bubba finished 5 :blessed:

Also this happened

:laff::laff::laff:

Nah, I've been waiting for the Indy 500. I want to see if Fernando Alonso can win it - I don't think he will. I think he's overrated. If Audi, Porsche, or God forbid Peugeot was at Le Mans last year then he and Toyota would have lost by at least a lap (3.5 minutes). DTM is on this weekend though :wow:, gonna have to find a stream of that.

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
Nah, I've been waiting for the Indy 500. I want to see if Fernando Alonso can win it - I don't think he will. I think he's overrated. If Audi, Porsche, or God forbid Peugeot was at Le Mans last year then he and Toyota would have lost by at least a lap (3.5 minutes). DTM is on this weekend though :wow:, gonna have to find a stream of that.

Damn bruh you bout to put me on to F1 & IndyCar. I’m bout to rename this The Coli Autosports thread.

I’ve never followed open wheel racing, just nascar, ARCA & other short track stock car series. Gotta see what the other side of racing is like

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
Damn bruh you bout to put me on to F1 & IndyCar. I’m bout to rename this The Coli Autosports thread.

I’ve never followed open wheel racing, just nascar, ARCA & other short track stock car series. Gotta see what the other side of racing is like
F1 ain't for everybody :yeshrug:. Only a couple of teams have a chance at the win and and money = performance. Some races just aren't that exciting and you gotta be ok with that. Monaco is next weekend and truthfully it's probably going to be boring. Tight and short track with very few overtaking opportunities.

Indycar has a little more unpredictability, but Penske and Ganasi cars are usually the favorites. With the 500 you never know what will happen. Indycar is glorified spec racing so things tend to be closer.

MF budz

All Star
Daps
F1 ain't for everybody :yeshrug:. Only a couple of teams have a chance at the win and and money = performance. Some races just aren't that exciting and you gotta be ok with that. Monaco is next weekend and truthfully it's probably going to be boring. Tight and short track with very few overtaking opportunities.

Indycar has a little more unpredictability, but Penske and Ganasi cars are usually the favorites. With the 500 you never know what will happen. Indycar is glorified spec racing so things tend to be closer.
So is f1

Is f1 like baseball where the big market teams usually win? Are there no specs to adhere to? What are the main differences to f1 and Indy cars?

jj23

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
So is f1

Is f1 like baseball where the big market teams usually win? Are there no specs to adhere to? What are the main differences to f1 and Indy cars?
There are guidelines and manufacturers build based on the guidelines and you get team interpretations of what is needed to build the fastest car based on the guidelines. So every car is different. It's the nature of the formula. Usually at least three manufacturers are in the mix but this year Mercedes have been dominant.

Not that I mind since they have Lewis Hamilton driving.

:jawalrus:

5 time world champion going for number 6. Also easily the most popular man in the sport and the best driver. He is basically the Tiger Woods of motor racing, but he doesn't pretend to be white. Cac media stays criticizing his earring and tattoos... He keeps winning.

Obreh Winfrey

Truly Brehthtaking
Supporter
Daps
So is f1

In many ways, yeah. If you're not a big team with manufacturer having, you probably won't be winning. Red Bull Racing is the most recent exception to this when they had a big run of dominance from 2010-2014, but they also had arguably the best aerodynamicist and car designer in Adrian Newey. Before that it would have been McLaren, and Williams before that. Every now and then a privateer team will make big gains, but the season is long and if you aren't moving forward with your upgrades, you're moving backwards. For example, Ferrari went down a bad path with development last year and it took them too long to change course and correct, probably costing them the drivers championship. If their budget is in the hundreds of millions, imagine what would happen for a team that's barely putting together 20 or 30 million.

jj23 was on the money. F1 puts out regulations (or a formula, hence the name) and teams build a car from scratch from their interpretation of the regulations. Other than the tires, the rain light, the on-board cameras, and some FIA sensors, everything is bespoke. Even though Ferrari supplies the same engine to Alfa Romeo, the packaging of the cooling, electronics, etc. are one off. Even the ECU software is written by each team. Because everything is custom and they push the limits of performance, you end up with these insane 20+ million dollar budgets on the low end.

Indycar is much more affordable because there's a more spec parts. The chassis and aerodynamics is one design from Dallara. I'm pretty sure suspension and brake assemblies are spec. I think the only area for improvement is with the engine but I doubt teams get a say in that. There are only 2 engine suppliers right now, Chevy and Honda. From what I've seen they aren't too far off in performance. I think you can purchase an Indycar chassis for about 250 grand. I think some teams might be running a full season on around 5-8 million dollars. As far as racing goes, it's relatively affordable.

On terms of performance F1 is miles ahead of Indycar. At Circuit of the Americas in Austin, the lap time difference was like 14 seconds. F1 engines are more powerful, the aerodynamics are way stronger. Indycar engines aren't that far behind in horsepower, but they don't have the hybrid energy recovery systems that make F1 engines torquey as hell. Their aero is much simpler and they don't have power steering. I think the better direct comparison would be between Indycar and Formula 2, since the later is closer in performance. The only caveat is F2 is a feeder series to F1 while Indycar is the highest open wheel category in the US.

I think the last real difference is F1 doesn't race ovals. The closest they get to a speedway is Monza in Italy (actually was an oval in the beginning) or the circuit they run the Mexican GP at.

MF budz

All Star
Daps
There are guidelines and manufacturers build based on the guidelines and you get team interpretations of what is needed to build the fastest car based on the guidelines. So every car is different. It's the nature of the formula. Usually at least three manufacturers are in the mix but this year Mercedes have been dominant.

Not that I mind since they have Lewis Hamilton driving.

:jawalrus:

5 time world champion going for number 6. Also easily the most popular man in the sport and the best driver. He is basically the Tiger Woods of motor racing, but he doesn't pretend to be white. Cac media stays criticizing his earring and tattoos... He keeps winning.

It seems to me like f1 and Indy cars have more room to change specs as opposed to nascar. Could be wrong though

Word might have to stream some races. I’ve been to Michigan speedway acouple times as a kid. I always watch the first 10 laps and last 10 just to see some fukkery.

You guys ever watch the Moto gp(idk if that’s what it’s called but the game was haha)Racing fukking sport bikes in the rain. Like wtf.