Coffee thread

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
My step dad drink black coffee. I don't know if I can...

You just have to try a good cup of black coffee. Once you do, you'll understand. A good one will actually be dark but sweet. Some will even have an ever so slight "fruity" taste on the tip of your tongue that follows it depending on the roast. A quality cup will have an extremely complex taste that's very hard to quantify, but when you taste it, you'll understand.

Your average cup is usually bitter due to the grind being too fine or it being brewed for too long. The type of grinder also plays a big role as the common blade grinder generates a lot of heat and burns the beans as they're being ground. A conical burr grinder is the way to go. These give a consistent grind and generate very little heat. TBH, I've probably burned through close to a couple racks just on beans alone in the search to find just the right roast and grind size for my equipment, but the outcome has been very well worth the effort.

Pre-ground is also bad. The hard shell of the bean is what keeps the taste and strength intact. As soon as it gets ground both attributes start to deteriorate in a matter of minutes. Keep coffee stored in a cool, dry, and dark place where the temperature is consistent and UV rays from the sun aren't beating on it. Don't store it in the refrigerator like a lot of people do as it your beans will start absorbing moistures from it.

Last edited:

mortuus est

Veteran
Daps
There are world class coffee beans available at the click of a mouse. There is world class beer available at damn near every liquor store in the USA

I dont consume beverages like that unless they are world class. I aint trying to settle for mediocrity:scusthov:

im not into coffee much but what is one that has a sweet taste or fruity taste to it?

no lie tho ive been drinking black coffee alot this month

ThiefyPoo

Trill
Supporter
Daps
I only drink black on days I go to the gym .

Gotta stay in a fasted state during my work outs .

I need a better brand than folgers doe :pachaha:

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
im not into coffee much but what is one that has a sweet taste or fruity taste to it?

You won't really find a fruity blend among any of the big, established companies such as peets or starbucks. It's a fairly recent thing as far as i know, but complex roasts are popular among these newer, hipster-type, corner coffee spots now. Local markets typically carry these craft type roasts too. Extremely light and fruity blends are what's trendy currently. Some of them are to the point to where it tastes more like tea, than coffee. I'm not really big on most of these ultra light blends, but I've found a few that are outstanding.

Check out these blends from Philz
Sooo Good
Philz Coffee Tesora
Ethiopian Yirgacheffe

Last edited:

Colicat

Docile & dominant @ the same damn time
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Adjacent to the King
I'm not a coffee drinker, but I always bring coffee back as a gift when I travel.

Usually I get many thanks, praises, and requests for the Costa Rican coffee I bring back.

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAb3AAAAJDRkNmU1NzljLTE1NjktNDc0MC05Y2ZhLTRhY2YyZjY3MmE3Yw.png

Don't know why though

Daps
Reppin
Des Moines, IA

Coffeereview.com

Check this list often and order from it as desired
Reviews of the World's Best Coffees | CoffeeReview.com

Don't get too excited by all the fruit descriptions in the reviews though. Those descriptions are highly exagerrated. A good cup of coffee has a natural sweetness and a pronounced acidic bite on the tongue. It is a flavor that is addictive

mortuus est

Veteran
Daps
You won't really find a fruity blend among any of the big, established companies such as peets or starbucks. It's a fairly recent thing as far as i know, but complex roasts are popular among these newer, hipster-type, corner coffee spots now. Local markets typically carry these craft type roasts too. Extremely light and fruity blends are what's trendy currently. Some of them are to the point to where it tastes more like tea, than coffee. I'm not really big on most of these ultra light blends, but I've found a few that are outstanding.

Check out these blends from Philz
Sooo Good
Philz Coffee Tesora
Ethiopian Yirgacheffe

Coffeereview.com

Check this list often and order from it as desired
Reviews of the World's Best Coffees | CoffeeReview.com

Don't get too excited by all the fruit descriptions in the reviews though. Those descriptions are highly exagerrated. A good cup of coffee has a natural sweetness and a pronounced acidic bite on the tongue. It is a flavor that is addictive

thanks, tbh i just put a bunch of sugar and weed honey in my muggs like a real bloke

Stir Fry

Dipped in Sauce
Supporter
Daps
thanks, tbh i just put a bunch of sugar and weed honey in my muggs like a real bloke

Stop by a small coffee shop and treat yourself to a good cup someday:obama:

Like was mentioned earlier, go to a place that prepares it using a pour-over method, rather than a place that simply dispenses it from a machine.

Tell them you want something that tastes like coffee though. Some of those light roasts they'll push are a bit much for the uninitiated :whoa:

Last edited: