Coffee thread

s@n

All Star
Daps
I wouldn't even know what questions to ask.
The one thing I do know is, I don't love coffee with a lot of acidity.

I typically do add some half & half with my coffee. But not always. I'm actually trying to drink it black (with maybe a half spoon of sugar or splenda) more often.

Also, I have a burr grinder and I feel like the taste is way, way better from grinding whole beans than when I buy the bag of ground coffee.
I only got the burr grinder because I had points with my job and it was one of the few things I could buy off the promotional store that wasn't crap. It's a Bodum model something.
a burr grinder is great! that's what you want. blade grinder chop the coffee instead of pulverizing, so you have a worse distribution of particulate leading to uneven extraction. Kenyas are usually high acidity and won't work well with half and half, but the Sumatra should fit your profile more. The processing method used in that coffee is known as wet hulling, which produces a different funk/fermentation profile that leans earthy with a bunch of bell pepper. It handles cream well, though. If you're in NY there are some great local roasters. Also, whole beans can get frozen ONCE. The cellulose structure will reabsorb water and ruin the bean if you transfer back and forth between room temp and frozen. There's a shop in Portland that keeps their grinder and coffee in custom freezer units that they then grind to order, it's pretty interesting. Other than that, store in a [preferably] mylar bag with a one way valve. While some years back we used to advocate for very fresh coffee, it's become commonplace to let coffee rest for a week or two (light roasts and espresso blends/single origins) to let the coffee off-gas properly.

Remote

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
a burr grinder is great! that's what you want. blade grinder chop the coffee instead of pulverizing, so you have a worse distribution of particulate leading to uneven extraction. Kenyas are usually high acidity and won't work well with half and half, but the Sumatra should fit your profile more. The processing method used in that coffee is known as wet hulling, which produces a different funk/fermentation profile that leans earthy with a bunch of bell pepper. It handles cream well, though. If you're in NY there are some great local roasters. Also, whole beans can get frozen ONCE. The cellulose structure will reabsorb water and ruin the bean if you transfer back and forth between room temp and frozen. There's a shop in Portland that keeps their grinder and coffee in custom freezer units that they then grind to order, it's pretty interesting. Other than that, store in a [preferably] mylar bag with a one way valve. While some years back we used to advocate for very fresh coffee, it's become commonplace to let coffee rest for a week or two (light roasts and espresso blends/single origins) to let the coffee off-gas properly.
Pretty interesting. That processing stuff is way over my head. But it's good to learn.

I am in NY and for this last order, I went with a company called "Double Barrel Roasters". But there are a lot of roasters around. It's almost like trying to hit up every local brewery. It can take years to get through them all.

• Dap
Reactions: s@n

skylove4

Veteran
Daps
I grind my beans fresh every morning no matter if I use a drip machine orb French press. I also only drink black coffee :mjpls:

DetroitEWarren

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Detroit You bytch Ass nikka
Good morning yall. :coffee:
Everyone has their preferred coffee shop and brand. :coffee:

But if you aint on this Cafe Bustelo, you lost.

:coffee:

What yall drinking?

:sas2:

71OLZMBiR%2BL._SY355_.jpg

Morning coffee, blunt, and my @Remote is all I need before 12. Pause fakkit. I'm talking about the button on the @Remote. Press that bytch. No disrespect to my nikka @Remote, I love to press buttons, pause fakkit. I just threw that bytch ass @Remote out the window. Wouldn't turn my TV on. Bet that @fakkit would work with a LGBT+ channel package. Give me my fukkin @Remote , turn that shyt off.

Daps
if you (or anyone else) has questions, I was in the coffee industry for over 15 years as a cafe manager, roaster, educator, and trainer
That’s pretty cool, thanks. Any thoughts on the Moccamaster?
MoccaMaster_Set_53941_KBGV_PolishedSilver_3533-01-540695_2048x.png

I’m also considering the Simply Good Coffee knockoff lol, for half the price.
thebrewer05.jpg

SadimirPutin

Superstar
Daps
I wouldn't even know what questions to ask.
The one thing I do know is, I don't love coffee with a lot of acidity.

I typically do add some half & half with my coffee. But not always. I'm actually trying to drink it black (with maybe a half spoon of sugar or splenda) more often.

Also, I have a burr grinder and I feel like the taste is way, way better from grinding whole beans than when I buy the bag of ground coffee.
I only got the burr grinder because I had points with my job and it was one of the few things I could buy off the promotional store that wasn't crap. It's a Bodum model something.

Grinding beans usually(well I suppose this is subjective) gives more flavor

I like my coffee strong with floral notes in the background...

I would say try drinking coffee both hot and cold(iced) because the taste profiles can be interesting and very different

s@n

All Star
Daps
That’s pretty cool, thanks. Any thoughts on the Moccamaster?
MoccaMaster_Set_53941_KBGV_PolishedSilver_3533-01-540695_2048x.png

I’m also considering the Simply Good Coffee knockoff lol, for half the price.
thebrewer05.jpg
buy the moccamaster. It's SCA approved, meaning the heating element actually gets hot enough to brew coffee properly. Only buy a maker with the SCA seal; it's going to be a little more pricey but the quality is worth it.

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Suggest a bag?

Opinion on Keurigs?

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
Trying some new things.

I ordered a bag of coffee beans from Kenya. And another bag of Sumatra Mandheling.

No idea if I will like either of these. But I felt like I needed to try something different besides the usual colombian coffee or french coffee.
In a few months when these are finished, I might try some Jamaican coffee

:lupe:
Kenyan blends are decent like everywhere the best stuff gets send abroad. Actually there's no a coffe drinking culture among non Somali Kenyans like that.

I really like Ethiopian Sidamo medium to light roast.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
Morning coffee, blunt, and my @Remote is all I need before 12. Pause fakkit. I'm talking about the button on the @Remote. Press that bytch. No disrespect to my nikka @Remote, I love to press buttons, pause fakkit. I just threw that bytch ass @Remote out the window. Wouldn't turn my TV on. Bet that @fakkit would work with a LGBT+ channel package. Give me my fukkin @Remote , turn that shyt off.
Italian dude who dated. a friend of my girl in Kenya gave me mine.

s@n

All Star
Daps
Suggest a bag?

Opinion on Keurigs?
no on Kerri's; they don't get hot enough. maybe for tea, but not for coffee. Order from Black and White Coffee Roasters; there are a couple great brothers involved with that company. Also try Three Keys Coffee which is based out of Houston. Husband and wife team doing great things down there