Clyde Drexler's career and resume is looking pretty good compared to these guards who will retire ringless journeymen

A Tribe Called Quest ™

Make Em Say Ughh ... Silk da Shocker
Daps
Reppin
Chiraq
SG of this generation:
Shai
Booker
Beal
Brown
Mitchell
Lavine
DeMar(SG for most of his TOR/SAS tenure until Pop used him as a PF)
Ant
Klay Thompson
CJ
Bane
D Murray

I’m not even including Harden

Vs
MJ
Dumars
Clyde
Reggie
Mitch
Spreewell
?????

Cmon the 90s wasn’t a SG generation

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
DREXLER WOULD AVERAGE 37 PPG IN TODAYS LEAGUE

What would you see as his comp right now....a taller Jalen Green with worse handles? Anthony Edwards with a broken jump shot?

You can't project Clyde to this era without acknowledging that his jump shot was broke, he almost always dribbled right, and his bball mind and performance under pressure was repeatedly poor.

And Clyde was my favorite player for his entire career.... but the game has changed. He'd be good today, but he wouldn't be a superstar.

A Tribe Called Quest ™

Daps
Reppin
Chiraq
What would you see as his comp right now....a taller Jalen Green with worse handles? Anthony Edwards with a broken jump shot?

You can't project Clyde to this era without acknowledging that his jump shot was broke, he almost always dribbled right, and his bball mind and performance under pressure was repeatedly poor.

And Clyde was my favorite player for his entire career.... but the game has changed. He'd be good today, but he wouldn't be a superstar.
Jalen Brown without a jumpshot

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Jaylen Brown without a jumpshot

Goddamn, that's perfect. I always get thrown off by Jaylen cause he's smart so I'm biased to think of him as a smart player, but his basketball IQ really isn't as standout as him off-court IQ. Yeah, Jaylen Brown with a broken jumper is exactly who Clyde would be today.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Yeah that Clyde player wasn’t so bad in his time :mjlol:

Here's Clyde in the 1990s against a good defender (title is stupid but that's how youtubers roll). What do you see in this clip that really sticks out as next-level basketball? He gets great hang time, and other than that....?

I loved Clyde in his day, the fact that he was an all-around player is probably a big reason why I've always stanned all-around players. But what are you seeing there that would make him a superstar above and beyond other shooting guards today? His shooting form was wack and always failed him in the biggest series, his handle was extremely suspect, his bball IQ was lacking which really hurt him in late-game situations....Clyde was incredibly athletic and could do a little bit of everything, but what skill did he have which would have allowed him to exploit teams today the way some posters are pretending he would?

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
:russ: You and the OP are not serious people

I get that his career is almost over but it seems y’all have completely forgotten how good he was which isn’t surprising it is the Coli

CP3 JUST HAS LONGEVITY
ON HIS SIDE...

AT THEIR PEAKS D-WILL
WAS BETTER THAN HIM,
THEN D-ROSE TOOK THE MANTLE,
THEN STEPH CURRY...

HE WAS NEVER CONSENSUS
BEST PG IN THE LEAGUE
BUT HES SUPPOSED TO BE
A TOP 4 PG OF ALL TIME?
:devil:
:evil:

A Tribe Called Quest ™

Daps
Reppin
Chiraq
Goddamn, that's perfect. I always get thrown off by Jaylen cause he's smart so I'm biased to think of him as a smart player, but his basketball IQ really isn't as standout as him off-court IQ. Yeah, Jaylen Brown with a broken jumper is exactly who Clyde would be today.
He was a much better playmaker so that makes him for his shooting

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
He was a much better playmaker so that makes him for his shooting

Clyde was a better playmaker in his day. In today's atmosphere, his lack of shooting and the improvement in defenses being able to shade guys who were too strong to one side would limit him a lot more. Look at those plays against MJ that I posted before, he's not doing anything special.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether

CP3 JUST HAS LONGEVITY
ON HIS SIDE...

AT THEIR PEAKS D-WILL
WAS BETTER THAN HIM,
THEN STEPH CURRY...

HE WAS NEVER CONSENSUS
BEST PG IN THE LEAGUE
BUT HES SUPPOSED TO BE
A TOP 4 PG OF ALL TIME?

:why:

This is nonsense. When the fukk was D-Will ever better than CP3? CP3 was a better shooter, a better scorer, a better passer, a better defender, and a smarter player. Putting D-Will at his level was as fake as when people put Clyde Drexler at MJ's level.

When they were both stars, CP3 was 2nd in MVP voting in 2008, 5th in 2009, 3rd in 2012, 4th in 2013, 7th in 2014, 6th in 2015, and 6th in 2016. D-Will only got MVP votes in two seasons ever, 2008 (when he was 12th to CP3's 2nd place) and 2010 (when he was 9th only because CP3 was injured that year). No serious person ever thought he was better than CP3.

And D-Rose had literally one season where he was better than CP3. You might as well say Nash took the mantle away from Kobe cause he was better in 2005.

Chris Paul was 1st-team All-NBA four times and 2nd-team All-NBA five times, despite intersecting with Nash, D-Will, Rose, and Curry.

Curry also has four 1st-team appearances, Isiah has three, Nash has three, Stockton and Payton have two each....looks like they all dominated their position the same or less than CP3 did.

Last edited:

Joe Sixpack

Build and Destroy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rotten Apple

CP3 JUST HAS LONGEVITY
ON HIS SIDE...

AT THEIR PEAKS D-WILL
WAS BETTER THAN HIM,
THEN STEPH CURRY...

HE WAS NEVER CONSENSUS
BEST PG IN THE LEAGUE
BUT HES SUPPOSED TO BE
A TOP 4 PG OF ALL TIME?

That D Will/CP3 turned out to be a lie

When we sat back and watched how their careers played out CP3 was clearly the better player

As soon as :dwillhuh: got traded to the Nets he was GAHBAGE

Last edited:

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC

CP3 JUST HAS LONGEVITY
ON HIS SIDE...

AT THEIR PEAKS D-WILL
WAS BETTER THAN HIM,
THEN STEPH CURRY...

HE WAS NEVER CONSENSUS
BEST PG IN THE LEAGUE
BUT HES SUPPOSED TO BE
A TOP 4 PG OF ALL TIME?

The only points I'd definitively place over Paul are Magic, Steph, West, and Robertson. I'm not impressed with Zeke's career at all, I don't think Stockton was better than CP3. Those two were never tasked with the carry jobs he was tasked with, and if we're doing a skills competition, CP3 was better at virtually every basketball skill than Isiah besides maybe dribbling, and at every basketball skill than Stockton besides passing and man defense, where they were about the same. Paul was a significantly greater scorer when called upon than Stockton....

I remember the Deron/Paul conversations but I don't remember this consensus that Deron was better, it was more of a toss up. And that was gone by the time CP3 hit LA, we weren't even having that discussion anymore. Rose literally had a 3-year run he was even in the discussion and then it was over with...

Rose's career effectively ended when he went down in '12. 2012, '13, '14 were those in between years befire Steph's ascent, I'd say it was pretty widely agreed upon in that stretch that CP3 was the best point in basketball, and he'd been in that conversation anyway dating back to '08 or '07...

Sccit

LA'S MOST BLUNTED
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LOS818ANGELES

THERE IS NO COMP FOR CLYDE TODAY

AND HE DEVELOPED HIS SHOT LATER IN HIS CAREER

HE CAME INTO THE LEAGUE WHEN THE 3 POINT SHOT WAS CONSIDERED A NOVELTY

COMING IN TODAY HE WOULD OBVIOUSLY FOCUS ON THAT MUCH EARLIER

BUT AS A SLASHER HE WAS A1 .. NOBODY IN THE LEAGUE TODAY CAN FINISH AT THE BASKET THE WAY DREXLER COULD

WITH THE SPACING IN TODAYS GAME, HE WOULD EAT