Clyde Drexler's career and resume is looking pretty good compared to these guards who will retire ringless journeymen

stepbackj34spud

Top 75 All-Time
Daps
Reppin
BK
Russ and nash > Clyde too :wtf: what’s your point there ?

And, uhhh yea mvp’s matter tf :heh:

My point is we have seen these players play in real time. Somebody like Nash was never the best player in the league yet he has 2 mvps. It doesnt mean anything.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem

LMAO

NOT ONLY IS THIS NOT
THE SAME THING AT ALL...

MAVS LITERALLY EMPLOYED
THIS DEFENSE ON DAMN NEAR
EVERY POSSESSION
WHICH IS WHY I SAID THEY
SOLD OUT.

SHAQ WAS NEVER GUARDED
LIKE THIS IN HIS CAREER
FOR A FULL GAME LET
ALONE A WHOLE SERIES.

THIS WASNT EVEN LEGAL
BEFORE THE ZONE DEFENSE GOOFY.
:devil:
:evil:

I didn't realize your argument is that shaq was being guarded offball by two or three defenders on every single possession, but if it is.
:mjlol: :mjlol: :mjlol: :mjlol:

That's obviously not true either

hola emoticons

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
I didn't realize your argument is that shaq was being guard offball by two or three defenders on every single possession, but if it is.
:mjlol: :mjlol: :mjlol: :mjlol:

That's obviously not true.

:dahell:ARE YOU SLOW?

SHAQ USED TO GET DOUBLED
WHEN HE WAS BACKING DOWN.

DALLAS WAS DOUBLING HIM
ON THE CATCH AND
OFF THE BALL.

:devil:
:evil:

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm noticing a trend with every Chris Paul and Harden supporter that's just supporting arguments of "he's one of the best ever" or "he's a generational goat" but ignore their constant playoff failures, them doing WAY less, folding under pressure repeatedly.

How many all NBA players did Clyde go to 3 finals with and win a ring?

How many HALL OF FAMERS did those guys fail with???

I think it's a matter of when they played skewing perception of their careers, and it goes both ways.

For example: Clyde Drexler form your original post, is a classic example of a guy who, if their career occurred even just five years earlier or later they're probably seen in a different light, because their career overlapped with an all time talent who overshadowed them.

Going the other way, Chris Paul gets regarded as one of the all time greats because his career has occurred in a span when there are few pure point guards. As a result, what he does has a unique spot in the sport in the perception of most people. Same for Harden. He just scored in a way that was different than what people were really used to in his prime. Whenever you stand out from everyone else in some way, it automatically boosts your career, even if realistically speaking, the achievements are lacking.

MoneyTron

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
The knock on Jordan early on was that he was a selfish player. He'll get all the stats not much success. Plenty of players at the time were saying that Clyde had just as much talent, but held back.

Even the 92 finals was waaaaaaay closer than people are lead to believe.
In what way?

Braman

Superstar
Daps
My point is we have seen these players play in real time. Somebody like Nash was never the best player in the league yet he has 2 mvps. It doesnt mean anything.

Nash is literally the only guy people bring up for that conversation. There is honestly no better, more undeniable accolade than an MVP. Its ok for Nash to be an outlier.

But we not bout to disregard LEAGUE MVP like be real

Braman

Superstar
Daps
The knock on Jordan early on was that he was a selfish player. He'll get all the stats not much success. Plenty of players at the time were saying that Clyde had just as much talent, but held back.

Even the 92 finals was waaaaaaay closer than people are lead to believe.

The bolded was true until Mike obliterated Portland and Clyde in the finals, so let’s not go too far with that

@ the underlined, I was ready to laugh you off but….you actually right :ehh:

Portland actually won game 2 ….Portland also led by 15 going into the 4th of game 6 :lupe:

I definitely remembered chicago making a comeback at some point and famously Phil kept the reserves in and they made the comeback, but I did not realize/forgot that it was that late, that it was a 15 point lead, and that it was game 6

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
I think it's a matter of when they played skewing perception of their careers, and it goes both ways.

For example: Clyde Drexler form your original post, is a classic example of a guy who, if their career occurred even just five years earlier or later they're probably seen in a different light, because their career overlapped with an all time talent who overshadowed them.

Going the other way, Chris Paul gets regarded as one of the all time greats because his career has occurred in a span when there are few pure point guards. As a result, what he does has a unique spot in the sport in the perception of most people. Same for Harden. He just scored in a way that was different than what people were really used to in his prime. Whenever you stand out from everyone else in some way, it automatically boosts your career, even if realistically speaking, the achievements are lacking.
I'm confused. Are you saying Chris Paul played in a weak era for point guards? Because that isn't true.

And are you saying Clyde Drexler played in a strong era for two-guards? Because that also isn't true.

Legal

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I'm confused. Are you saying Chris Paul played in a weak era for point guards? Because that isn't true.

And are you saying Clyde Drexler played in a strong era for two-guards? Because that also isn't true.

Nah, not quite.

I'm saying that if Drexler's career just didn't happen at the same time as Jordan's, he would likely be looked at more favorably.

And for Chris Paul, his career happened at a time when there weren't as many players playing closer to the traditional pure point guard style as he does. The majority of praise for Chris Paul has the phrase "best pure point guard" in it somewhere.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Nah, not quite.

I'm saying that if Drexler's career just didn't happen at the same time as Jordan's, he would likely be looked at more favorably.

And for Chris Paul, his career happened at a time when there weren't as many players playing closer to the traditional pure point guard style as he does. The majority of praise for Chris Paul has the phrase "best pure point guard" in it somewhere.
I disagree with both of these.

First, no one is downplaying or dissing Drexler's career. His career took place before the boom of two guards. He got passed several times after he retired. (side note, Drexler was one of the last people considered for the Dream Team, which also boosted his legacy more than it should have).

THats not a diss of Drexler, but better players at that positon came after him. If Drexler is the same player and gets drafted in 2000, we probably see him even less.

And Chris Paul played in the Curry era, yet is still regarded as an all time point guard. He isn't knocked down because he is more of a passer than a scorer. We just saw someone like Steph Curry do it better. Its not like we saying a guy like Kyrie is better than Chris Paul. We don't even say Dame Lillard had a better career than Chris Paul.

Daps
Reppin
206 & 734
There isn't a single explanation, let alone excuse, I've seen for James Harden, Paul George, and Chris Paul, being surrounded by hall of fame support, and consistently failing to achieve, when Clyde Drexler got to 3 NBA finals with only one all NBA player beside him. Especially Paul and harden. I could've included Westbrook in this thread too btw, for the exact same reasons.

Drexler's second best teammate ever was a 2x all star.

At some point it's THEM.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
There isn't a single explanation, let alone excuse, I've seen for James Harden, Paul George, and Chris Paul, being surrounded by hall of fame support, and consistently failing to achieve, when Clyde Drexler got to 3 NBA finals with only one all NBA player beside him. Especially Paul and harden. I could've included Westbrook in this thread too btw, for the exact same reasons.

Drexler's second best teammate ever was a 2x all star.

At some point it's THEM.
Portland just had one of the deepest teams in the league during that period. :hubie: