China largest city on earth... Jing-Jin--Ji population 130million

inndaskKy

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Posted this in the NBA off season thread yesterday but it's more relevant here I guess:

Whole video for those curious:

Funny to read all the comments by Chinese surprised and giddy that David West is so positive and knowledgeable about their society. :heh:

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
one of the most profound speeches ive ever read. and it really helped me understand my time in china more clearly.

Sun Yat-sen's speech on Pan-Asianism - Wikisource, the free online library

Funny thing is China would have never been able to come up the way they did if the US didn't basically castrate Japan in WW2. Japan would have never allowed China to become what they have under their watch. There is a reason why Japan is beginning to rebuild its military, the Japanese have always been far sighted people, they see what's coming.

Tommy Knocks

retired
Daps
Reppin
iPaag
Funny thing is China would have never been able to come up the way they did if the US didn't basically castrate Japan in WW2. Japan would have never allowed China to become what they have under their watch. There is a reason why Japan is beginning to rebuild its military, the Japanese have always been far sighted people, they see what's coming.
shoulda coulda woulda. thats not how history works.

japan is worried, as they should be. I have never seen such disdain as I have the chinese for the japanese. they wont let it go. Im not sure whats going to come of it. as long as america is there, they will chill. but bruh. I saw 2 riots in china over japan.

I once posted a photo entering a club where they used japans flag as a doormat. people be like ChiNA iS rAcisT' pffff you aint seen hatred until you seen how the chinese view the japanese. They want that ass, and not in a good way.

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
I know of Alibaba but never used it, never liked their interface. But I do know that a lot of africans and youtubers that use it to get bulk wholesales.

Taobao on the other hand...no....nah breh. within china it can match amazon based off their population size. its used as regularly as amazon for the chinese. I couldnt live without it.

manipulating their currency? why do they need to stop? if it benefits them. :heh: America made the Yuan paper money during the Nixon days to have a one up and be able to use China as a factory for cheap labor and they figured out how to manipulate it.

Play math with asians breh.

they will become consumers soon. they are turning africa into it's own 'china' .

Alibaba is literally Taobao's parent company. I get that "you" use it. The point I'm trying to convey is, everyone needs to use it. It works great in China for whatever knick-knacks you may want to buy there, but it hasn't surpassed Amazon in any perceived capacity outside of China.

The discussion I'm trying to have is China needs to become greater than just China if they are looking to lead the world. Alibaba itself is profitable because it's almost exclusively Chinese made goods that copy other tech or materials no one else wants outside of China. You can't claim dominance or superiority if you're in your own self-contained bubble.

aXiom

Maximized Potential
Daps
Reppin
Parc fermé
Good points.

I use taobao. and taobao is amazon on steroids. They even have a sister company here in the Philippines called Lazada. I used to get whatever I wanted, ANYTHING. nikka I could buy an actual monkey or fox on taobao, and have it delivered in 2 days. Even til today, since Im a designer I use taobao to get daz studio models and cracked software. They have the U.S beat in terms of virtual monopoly, apps, and just the internet in general. why do you think they dont need youtube? they have youku, why do you think they dont need fb? they have weibo. they have over a billion people they dont need to crutch on U.S sites. They just do their own shyt. wechat is still hands down the best app ive ever used. I used to pay my rent, book a didi (uber type thing), pay my groceries, pay my utilities, chat my friends, videochat my moms, post photos, group chat, all on one app. shyt is wild.

The fastest super computer is currently in China so you could be right. Folks think its 2005, and stuck in time. these nikkas aint playing. I saw their growth first hand. My first year I hit the :heh: , 3 years in I was like :dwillhuh:

The intensity and speed they work . is absolutely insane.

Nah: The 5 fastest supercomputers in the world.

This is where I start to differ and revert back to my original claims about China copying America's model.

Correct me if i am wrong here. Taobao is a C2C business. By web traffic they are a monster, but they don't take on physical inventories, there is no logistics network, and their server platform is no where near AWS in scope, capability, or profitability. From what I can see they are like Ebay minus the bidding feature. Alibaba; Taobao's parent company; cloud computing platform remains unprofitable and has zero foothold in Europe and America.

This goes back to my other point, China needs to stop manipulating their currency and become apex consumers.

China's need isn't the point, market saturation is.

I've been saying this the whole thread.. you can't lead if you're not innovating.. It's easy to copy from the blueprint.

If the world is still referring to your leading platforms or heavy hitters as... China's Amazon, China's Tesla, China's Apple, China's AWS etc.. You aren't leading.

Also, to become apex consumers they first need to be able to self sustain without this huge dependency on the west $ for cheap labor. Show that your economy is able to stand on it's own 2 feet. We're also fast approaching mass automation in factories, and there's still 3+ billion people still available to exploit for cheap labor if needed, it's just a matter of the temporary infrastructure costs and supply chain hit. Companies are already starting to move and they can't just pour a fukkton of concrete to keep people "working" building ghost cities they can't afford like they did last recession. They already played that card. The inequality gap in China is also much more of a problem than it is here.

China's economy is a house of cards.. not really different from ours in theory, but there's a reason why China's uber rich have been buying up US assets and swapping the yuan for the the $ for the past few decades. They don't even believe in it.

Last edited:

Tommy Knocks

retired
Daps
Reppin
iPaag
Alibaba is literally Taobao's parent company. I get that "you" use it. The point I'm trying to convey is, everyone needs to use it. It works great in China for whatever knick-knacks you may want to buy there, but it hasn't surpassed Amazon in any perceived capacity outside of China.

The discussion I'm trying to have is China needs to become greater than just China if they are looking to lead the world. Alibaba itself is profitable because it's almost exclusively Chinese made goods that copy other tech or materials no one else wants outside of China. You can't claim dominance or superiority if you're in your own self-contained bubble.
I get what you're saying.

but you're under the impression china needs to be greater by being outside of china. and thats where we disagree. they have the population size and all of asia to be able match numbers of the west. china is now tapping into india. i mean ffs its a fukking wrap.

Dallas' 4 Eva

Superstar
Daps
shoulda coulda woulda. thats not how history works.

japan is worried, as they should be. I have never seen such disdain as I have the chinese for the japanese. they wont let it go. Im not sure whats going to come of it. as long as america is there, they will chill. but bruh. I saw 2 riots in china over japan.

I once posted a photo entering a club where they used japans flag as a doormat. people be like ChiNA iS rAcisT' pffff you aint seen hatred until you seen how the chinese view the japanese. They want that ass, and not in a good way.

I was alluding more to the fact that the United States... really any country with origins in Europe has a whole history of creating their own problems. Historically Japan kept China in check, the same way the U.S. keeps people in check now, we have a better military. With no Japanese threat to keep China's attention they have prospered.

I know all about the hatred the Chinese and Japanese have for each other, and Japan should be worried, they are literally outnumbered by China like 16 to 1, and China has enough missiles to bomb Japan into oblivion at this point. If it wasn't for the U.S. China probably would have handled Japan a while ago... Taiwan as well... South Korea too if we being honest.

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
I get what you're saying.

but you're under the impression china needs to be greater by being outside of china. and thats where we disagree. they have the population size and all of asia to be able match numbers of the west. china is now tapping into india. i mean ffs its a fukking wrap.

Then China would become more isolationist, I don't know if they have fully crossed that threshold where they can disengage from the world yet. They don't have the resources internally (hence their participation in Africa) or the knowledge base internally (hence their participation in American universities), and I say that loosely.

Aptitude is one measure of intelligence, but you need to merge that with innovation. Not that they would turn around and collapse tomorrow if ever, but part of the reason they can create so many loans to fund internal infrastructure projects is because there's trillions of dollars in foreign investment to pay those loans. I think Covid was a wake-up call to other countries to slowly disengage from China being the world's factory.

I think we agree on the ending; them surpassing America; it's how China will get there is what we disagree on.

I actually think the US will beat China to quantum computing. The US just won't apply it to anything before China.

Tommy Knocks

retired
Daps
Reppin
iPaag
Then China would become more isolationist, I don't know if they have fully crossed that threshold where they can disengage from the world yet. They don't have the resources internally (hence their participation in Africa) or the knowledge base internally (hence their participation in American universities), and I say that loosely.
I read your post, but here is where we disagree.

They are already here. these 2 lines...theyve already happened. its done. they are here/there now.

Tommy Knocks

retired
Daps
Reppin
iPaag
Imagine thinking this is somehow a good thing.
depends on your culture.

i actually think china should adopt america's political system and i think america should adopt china's system. I could write an essay on this, having lived in both systems, culturally, believe it or not, I can see america being a one party system. but again, this is a loooooong post that would require some deep posting.