Chick playing young STORM think its time for a "SOLO" movie....

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
:jbhmm:Who's writing it? I rarely mess with modern marvel comics, but if that solo series really is worth checking out, I might have to take a look sometime.

It came out in 2012. Jams Asmus did it
pXPTAAAAQBAJ

Gambit (2012 - Present)

kingdarius

Wtf u talkin bout? Ya Bish
Daps
Reppin
FayetteNam, North Carolina #byrdgang
Are there any women of color comic book characters you guys think could carry a solo movie? If the answer is no, I'd say that's very telling of the comic book sub-culture.
crimson avenger Jill Carlyle. Thats prolly the only one that could be cool for a full flick. She has nice feats as well. Prolly could even be r rated

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
Captain Marvel.

There are two captain marvels (there's really more, but for the sake of simplicity..). Marvel had a choice of pushing the blonde airforce pilot chick or the black Louisiana chick. They chose the blonde, and cast Brie Larson as her and apparently they want to make her the new face of the MCU following next year's Avengers movie. The black one will probably be the "black friend" in the blonde one's movie.

The Lousiana chick (Monica Rambeau) probably would've been the best option for black women. She's more powerful than Storm, arguably more powerful than blonde Captain Marvel, was actually the leader of the Avengers in the 80s, and had a brief flirtation with Black Panther... to the point where Wakandans were questioning whether T'Challa had wifed up the wrong chick.

Would not be surprised at all :wow:

They've been trying to make Carol fetch since NA/CW.... the movie will probably finally do it.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
...nah

honestly, i didnt even know there was a storm solo. as for the others, as much as i enjoyed the cyclops solo, people are fukking done with the o5. they need to get them the fukk outta here already. as for gambit and rogue, they keep retreating to the base part of their relationship and noone wants to hear that shyt anymore. both characters have evolved(and rogue has gotten around a bit since) so their relationship needs to as well. it doesnt help that other writers make gambit a fukking idiot too.

thats a reality some fans dont want to face

Yea. I don't think the x-men are as popular/be all end all mainstream-wise as some of the hardcore fans would have folks believe.They're solid, but amplified by nostalgia bc of a kids cartoon in the thriving Saturday morning cartoon era.

Storm was largely wallpaper status in that cartoon, but someone like Monica Rambeau never had that platform to begin with. Yet when you compare them:
  • One is a Kenyan woman with eurocentric features [blue eyes/straight white hair] and weather powers.
  • The other is a New Orleans woman with afrocentric features and powers that combos Human Torch + the Flash.
If a movie for either was announced; both would garner a strong positive response bc of the void both would fill... but a Monica movie would be received just as strongly if not more so. Sure, mainstream black girls would be completely unfamiliar with her upon the initial announcement.. but give it to that first teaser trailer drops and it wouldn't even matter. Like seriously, they'd lose they shyt.

200px-Monica_Rambeu_Captain_Marvel.png

nieman

Daps
Reppin
Philly
Would not be surprised at all :wow:

They've been trying to make Carol fetch since NA/CW.... the movie will probably finally do it.

I've never seen a stronger push. Her push has been for like 15 years. Everyone else has had their push dropped, but not her. And she's been garbage since she assumed the Captain Marvel name. I get it, since they really only had a handful with that potential, but fetch ain't happening. Pick someone new.

Off top, some characters who push came and went during the Carol run:
Pixie/Armor
Luke Cage
Hope Summers
Iron Fist
Shang Chi
The Hood
Red Hulk(s) - those series were good tho
BP 2x
Silk
Idie
Maria Hill/Quake
Blue Marvel
Daken
Spider-Woman more times than I can count
Black Cat
Hawkeye

The Hood & the SHIELD women were horrible too. But out of that list, Hope & the Five Lights could make a good movie. It's almost Children of Men. Blue Marvel, but it is iffy to not make him Superman, Silk & Shang Chi.
Yea. I don't think the x-men are as popular/be all end all mainstream-wise as some of the hardcore fans would have folks believe.They're solid, but amplified by nostalgia bc of a kids cartoon in the thriving Saturday morning cartoon era.

Storm was largely wallpaper status in that cartoon, but someone like Monica Rambeau never had that platform to begin with. Yet when you compare them:
  • One is a Kenyan woman with eurocentric features [blue eyes/straight white hair] and weather powers.
  • The other is a New Orleans woman with afrocentric features and powers that combos Human Torch + the Flash.
If a movie for either was announced; both would garner a strong positive response bc of the void both would fill... but a Monica movie would be received just as strongly if not more so. Sure, mainstream black girls would be completely unfamiliar with her upon the initial announcement.. but give it to that first teaser trailer drops and it wouldn't even matter. Like seriously, they'd lose they shyt.

Monica is the oh-so-cool homegirl. Her powerset is great. She really does have the next most potential. I get the initial Carol push, because at the time she was one of maybe 3 characters that could be primed for A-list (616), with mainstream appeal. Flyer - check, heavy hitter - check, easy to market costume (ehhh now it is). And Monica was stuck in limbo then, so it wasn't like let's get behind her. So at the time, you would kinda lean towards Ms. Marvel. But once she didn't take, they should've moved on to Monica.

I think the main problem with Storm is that people really don't know how to characterize her. Personality wise, she's a smart hood-chick. She's not regal, she's a child from the streets that rose in the ranks, but she never forgets where she comes from. This is why her and BP fail, because in the end, she's a hood chick attracted to street dudes.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
Monica is the oh-so-cool homegirl. Her powerset is great. She really does have the next most potential. I get the initial Carol push, because at the time she was one of maybe 3 characters that could be primed for A-list (616), with mainstream appeal. Flyer - check, heavy hitter - check, easy to market costume (ehhh now it is). And Monica was stuck in limbo then, so it wasn't like let's get behind her. So at the time, you would kinda lean towards Ms. Marvel. But once she didn't take, they should've moved on to Monica.

It's going to be a complete and utter WASTE if they cast that black actress as Monica in a 90's timeline Carol origin movie. Bc either you give Monica powers too and explain away where she's been or you dont give her powers and she becomes too old when you come back to the current timeline.

Either way you're wasting a superior character on bullshyt just to serve captain marvel's diversity quota.

That's essentially the best black female character in Marvel for a solo movie.

I think the main problem with Storm is that people really don't know how to characterize her. Personality wise, she's a smart hood-chick. She's not regal, she's a child from the streets that rose in the ranks, but she never forgets where she comes from. This is why her and BP fail, because in the end, she's a hood chick attracted to street dudes.
Yea they dont know what to do with her.
Sometimes she on that being mutant prioritizes being black shyt, then other more recent times they want to make her be woke, then they want to throw around this regal/queen/goddess thing, but then revert back to oh she was a ratchet roaming the streets like aladdin. pshh.

That's why I say I like the concept of her but I've never been impressed by what we got. I'd prefer she stay away from black panther mytho, and if it were one or the other I wish Hudlin had paired TChalla up with Monica, instead of just teasing it.

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
What's funny... poll internet comic fans and they'll have Storm and Cyclops in their top ten, and Rogue & Gambit as this popular couple. But check how the Storm solo, Cyclops solo, and "Rogue & Gambit" duo series did... and them sales #s were more wood than platinum.

Even in the movies: Highest grossing "x-men" movies (domestic) last 10 years: X:DoFP = 233m; X:Apocalypse = 155m; X: First Class = 146m

Comparatively, Dr. Strange = 232m; Deadpool 1 = 363m; Logan = 226m. The Wolverine = 132m

Mainstream-wise, X-Men been living vicariously off that fox cartoon for 26 years now. But at this point they gotta do a lil more with these characters bc the general audience got options in quality and quantity now.
Yeah but the xmen movies been trash tho its just people with superpowers not the X-Men

Daps
Reppin
NULL

It feels like Storm has been wallpaper status lowkey ever since Chris Claremont stopped writing the book. I'd be on board to see Monica Rambeau in the cinematic universe. Seeing her fight alongside the Avengers in an adaptation of the Under Siege storyline would be :banderas:

1ca0dd0601584e1fe14104feef6ef8e8.jpg

Last edited:

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
I've never seen a stronger push. Her push has been for like 15 years. Everyone else has had their push dropped, but not her. And she's been garbage since she assumed the Captain Marvel name. I get it, since they really only had a handful with that potential, but fetch ain't happening. Pick someone new.

Off top, some characters who push came and went during the Carol run:
Pixie/Armor
Luke Cage
Hope Summers
Iron Fist
Shang Chi
The Hood
Red Hulk(s) - those series were good tho
BP 2x
Silk
Idie
Maria Hill/Quake
Blue Marvel
Daken
Spider-Woman more times than I can count
Black Cat
Hawkeye

The Hood & the SHIELD women were horrible too. But out of that list, Hope & the Five Lights could make a good movie. It's almost Children of Men. Blue Marvel, but it is iffy to not make him Superman, Silk & Shang Chi.

There are even more characters like Gwenpool, Noh-Varr, etc :wow:

The movie is the only way that fetch is gonna happen :wow:

flo

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It is. Just not with her in it :mjlol:

I think she may be one of the worst mainstream actresses I’ve ever seen.