Chick playing young STORM think its time for a "SOLO" movie....

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
Yea. I don't think the x-men are as popular/be all end all mainstream-wise as some of the hardcore fans would have folks believe.They're solid, but amplified by nostalgia bc of a kids cartoon in the thriving Saturday morning cartoon era.

Storm was largely wallpaper status in that cartoon, but someone like Monica Rambeau never had that platform to begin with. Yet when you compare them:
  • One is a Kenyan woman with eurocentric features [blue eyes/straight white hair] and weather powers.
  • The other is a New Orleans woman with afrocentric features and powers that combos Human Torch + the Flash.
If a movie for either was announced; both would garner a strong positive response bc of the void both would fill... but a Monica movie would be received just as strongly if not more so. Sure, mainstream black girls would be completely unfamiliar with her upon the initial announcement.. but give it to that first teaser trailer drops and it wouldn't even matter. Like seriously, they'd lose they shyt.

200px-Monica_Rambeu_Captain_Marvel.png
This makes no sense. You can't argue that a Storm movie won't pop because the xmen aren't as popular as fans believe, and then argue that someone completely obscure will catch the minds and hearts of the people.

The reason a storm movie would fail now is because they completely ruined any chance of being able to elevate the character (or any other character) while being able to tell a cohesive story.

It's too late for any xmen anything.

Primetime

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
This makes no sense. You can't argue that a Storm movie won't pop because the xmen aren't as popular as fans believe, and then argue that someone completely obscure will catch the minds and hearts of the people.

The reason a storm movie would fail now is because they completely ruined any chance of being able to elevate the character (or any other character) while being able to tell a cohesive story.

It's too late for any xmen anything.

Nah it makes sense. GotG is totally obscure and it caught the hearts and minds of people.

I stated in that post why a storm or Monica movie would garner a 'positive response' roughly on the same level.. bc either one would be the first black female superhero movie, which is a big void.

Thats got nothing to do with X-Men popularity bc whether its storm, Monica, or the mom who leads the black Nova corps family on some Incredibles meets Green Lantern shyt, just that announcement of an uber powerful black girl getting a solo is going to get a huge positive reception.

And if its family oriented, or cultural, and black female director led, etc.. then Oprah, Michelle Obama will be singing its praises, black twitter will embrace it, etc.

It would still have to be a well done movie with a cohesive story tho.

Last edited:

richaveli83

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Dallas, Texas but living in Houston, Texas
Storm doesn't need a solo movie and neither do most X-Men characters. They primarily function as team members. The X-Men are not like the Justice League or Avengers where the bulk of their lineup have solo books and can carry a solo series and movies with no problem.

If they do a Storm solo movie she shouldn't be the star. :scust: I would rather have Halle Berry back then Shipp.
full

KravenMorehead™

Barrel Brothers.®
Daps
Reppin
NoVA
Are there any women of color comic book characters you guys think could carry a solo movie? If the answer is no, I'd say that's very telling of the comic book sub-culture.

Taraji P Henson couldn't even carry a solo movie sales wise and you worried about us comic book nikkas? Lmao we good over here, please and thank you

I have an idea for a black female movie but i'm playing it close to the chest. But when it comes to this comic book shyt we're about characters first

KravenMorehead™

Barrel Brothers.®
Daps
Reppin
NoVA
Storm couldn't even sell a solo comic book. How is a solo flick gonna do numbers

I bought storm #1 a couple years back. Next thing I knew shyt was already cancelled

X-Men specifically are team characters. Wolverine solos were bad enough, when he works best as a background character. As opposed to say spidey who has a big enough rogues and supporting cast for solo books to work.

Last edited:

Ironman

#Knickstape
Daps
Reppin
Avengers compound
Are there any women of color comic book characters you guys think could carry a solo movie? If the answer is no, I'd say that's very telling of the comic book sub-culture.
Vixen:ehh:If a Gargoyles film does happen I can see Elisa being the main character and the others introduced around her. Thunder and Lightning from Black Lightning:ehh:A Suicide Squad film introduced through Waller:ehh:

Black Trash!

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
Most X-Men don’t even have lives outside of being x-men

Most of them don’t need a solo movie