Chicago Mayor Announces Plans To Renovate Soldier Field Into A Dome (EDIT: Bears Announce Plans For Domed Lakefront Stadium)

grendelprime

Suits 2 for $99
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Long time Bears fan :old:
My family had season tickets in the late 80’s early 90’s. I’ve been to plenty of cold weather games. I was at the Fog Bowl!
Re: transportation - we always went to a bar that had a bus service (school bus) to and from the game. They provided beer and pop on the bus ride there. If there was anything left on the way home, you could have it. It was like tailgating with the same people as you were driven to the game. You didnt have to worry about parking or driving drunk.
Re: moving the team - hate to see them leave Chicago. After the space saucer renovation, I don’t mind the team leaving. Soldier Field looks like an old white lady that tried to be young with liposuction and it didn’t turn out well.
Re: Dome - I loved watching in the elements. Every week we would have to prepare what you were going to wear. Most of the fan base back then were blue collar, outdoors people, salt of the earth. One week we would be in shorts and t shirts . Two weeks later, we’d be in snowmobile suits.

I understand if they move, just wish they didn’t have to.

Chicago would probably do some gangsta shyt and annex the land around the new stadium (like they did with O’Hare) so the team can still be the Chicago Bears 🐻⬇️

Astroslik

Veteran
Daps
Los Angeles is one of the strangest shaped cities in the country. Even a lot of folk who live in/around LA have no idea which cities are officially LA and which cities are not. When you're driving around half the time its impossible to tell where one city starts and the next begins, it all just blends into each other.

ZeeMap-595069.png

Hollywood is LA but Burbank is not, Venice is LA but Santa Monica is not, Crenshaw is LA but Inglewood and Compton are not, and half the docks are in LA but the other half are in Long Beach. A bunch of LA is up in the San Fernando Valley in the middle of nowhere but then pretty much all of East LA which is just a few minutes away from downtown isn't actually part of LA at all.
San Fernando Valley isn’t exactly the “middle of nowhere”. You have Studio City, Sherman oaks and North Hollywood all prominent and popular spots. A lot of athletes and entertainers live in the valley.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
San Fernando Valley isn’t exactly the “middle of nowhere”. You have Studio City, Sherman oaks and North Hollywood all prominent and popular spots. A lot of athletes and entertainers live in the valley.

It's a long-ass way from downtown and no one I knew ever went there. I'm struggling to remember a single time that I ever was in the Valley as a destination and not just passing through.

Just checking the map, it's a 23 mile drive to get from downtown LA to San Fernando. That's fukking crazy. How you going to drive 25 miles out from the middle of town and still be within city limits?

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
The Valley isn’t that close to the city of LA.

Marc Spector

the 4'11 Cuban
Daps
Reppin
The Milky Way
alll of fukking paul thomas andersons movies take place there

(with either no black folks or black folks as deviants :mjpls: )

beaniemac

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
People are soft.

I know it gets hella cold im Chicago, but playing in cold weather and seeing the breath, the mud/grass on jerseys is part of football.

Unless it's near or below freezing (or flooding rain) no dome should be closed in places like Chicago.

u are buggin. being outside for 3 hours in a cold weather game with no heat is not my idea of fun. especially when ur paying like $500 for this "privilege".

Brozay

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Bears released early renderings of the project, definitely looks like they want to build a dome:

as a Bears fan, Im excited about this. Solider Field is a dump tbh. and as long as the city/parks own it, its never going to get the serious redevelopment needed. They cant even put proper grass down for the players, thats been a pain point for decades somehow.

we open at home on Sunday, and they had a huge concert at Solider Field this past Saturday, and are dropping new sod TODAY:

Bears deserve a state of the art stadium, give me Sofi Chicago please. I only go to a game once every other year maybe, so I can handle the commute once a year tops. I live in the city and it probably wont take tat much longer to drive to Arlington than taking public transportation to Solider Field tbh