Chicago Mayor Announces Plans To Renovate Soldier Field Into A Dome (EDIT: Bears Announce Plans For Domed Lakefront Stadium)

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
Damn i though Inglewood was LA. Yeah this shyt crazy these owners rather not pay to play in the city but go to the surburb to get Tax breaks etc...
They also know their fanbases want 2 major things to go with a new stadium

1. a big lot to tailgate at

2. away from the riffraff in the city :mjpls:

charknicks

All Star
Daps
I see alot of complaining about moving 'away from the city' and the riff raff, and I agree about that in certain instances (the Braves had no need to move and was clearly about racial motives), but even then that is partly about who is going to the games, etc.

I dont know much about the layout of LA but Im pretty sure that with NYC as congested and lack of space as their is, there just isnt many great options to build a 70,000 seat football stadium. And yeah, city taxes for both LA and NYC have a great deal to do with it for sure.

As for Chicago, as the own native said, aint no one looking to go to games in Chicago outdoors after October, and everyone that wants the games to stay outside arent ones who are looking to go to Chicago and pay hundreds of dollars to see in that cold ass stadium in November/December. They just want to watch on TV from their comfortable homes. At the end of the day, its still a business, so these owners want to be able to attract more shyt to their city/stadiums and use it all year. They want 70k at each game all year, not just the first 3-4 games.

Plus, a dome in Chicago can now attract big events: Super Bowl, a major college football bowl game (much needed in that area with the Big 10 now one of the major 2 conferences in NCAA), some concerts, Wrestlemania, a big UFC PPV. $2.2 billy is a huge price tag, but this is the nature of the beast and business in 2022

Trojan 24

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Just Win Baby
I see alot of complaining about moving 'away from the city' and the riff raff, and I agree about that in certain instances (the Braves had no need to move and was clearly about racial motives), but even then that is partly about who is going to the games, etc.

I dont know much about the layout of LA but Im pretty sure that with NYC as congested and lack of space as their is, there just isnt many great options to build a 70,000 seat football stadium. And yeah, city taxes for both LA and NYC have a great deal to do with it for sure.

As for Chicago, as the own native said, aint no one looking to go to games in Chicago outdoors after October, and everyone that wants the games to stay outside arent ones who are looking to go to Chicago and pay hundreds of dollars to see in that cold ass stadium in November/December. They just want to watch on TV from their comfortable homes. At the end of the day, its still a business, so these owners want to be able to attract more shyt to their city/stadiums and use it all year. They want 70k at each game all year, not just the first 3-4 games.

Plus, a dome in Chicago can now attract big events: Super Bowl, a major college football bowl game (much needed in that area with the Big 10 now one of the major 2 conferences in NCAA), some concerts, Wrestlemania, a big UFC PPV. $2.2 billy is a huge price tag, but this is the nature of the beast and business in 2022

The Rams built they stadium where the riff raff is though, they just working on getting them all out :dead:

beenz

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)

soldier field already lost their landmark status when they renovated it and put a flying saucer on the top in 2003. I could give a damn if they build a dome or not. like u said, they'd be building it not just for the bears, but to use it as a venue all year round.

Brozay

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
the thing people need to understand is the Bears don’t own Soldier Field. Even if the stadium was vastly improved, the Bears can’t maximize revenue from it. It’s also limited in capacity and it’s a national landmark so it’s restricted in terms of the renovations you can add, although this plan actually looks nice.

end of the day, the Bears want to own their own stadium and make it a year long event space and destination

It would suck in theory to lose the stadium in the city just for the history and aesthetics. It’s on the lake and pretty much picturesque perfect in terms of location. The actual stadium is kind of a dump though and it’s actually difficult to transit to with a car or public trans

If the Bears built a state of the art stadium in Arlington and made it a full on destination with other attractions besides the actual stadium and a full on Bears campus, I can’t really hate on that decision. Arlington Heights is basically right by Ohare airport. It’s not like it would be in Joliet or something

the city would have to setup some serious revenue sharing split with the Bears to keep them in Soldier Field along with this massive renovation. I don’t see it happening, Bears are done there it seems

the city and park district organization might have to upgrade the stadium regardless if Bears stay. Maybe they can get a second NFL team. Chicago could easily support another team with full support

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
the thing people need to understand is the Bears don’t own Soldier Field. Even if the stadium was vastly improved, the Bears can’t maximize revenue from it. It’s also limited in capacity and it’s a national landmark so it’s restricted in terms of the renovations you can add, although this plan actually looks nice.

end of the day, the Bears want to own their own stadium and make it a year long event space and destination

It would suck in theory to lose the stadium in the city just for the history and aesthetics. It’s on the lake and pretty much picturesque perfect in terms of location. The actual stadium is kind of a dump though and it’s actually difficult to transit to with a car or public trans

If the Bears built a state of the art stadium in Arlington and made it a full on destination with other attractions besides the actual stadium and a full on Bears campus, I can’t really hate on that decision. Arlington Heights is basically right by Ohare airport. It’s not like it would be in Joliet or something

the city would have to setup some serious revenue sharing split with the Bears to keep them in Soldier Field along with this massive renovation. I don’t see it happening, Bears are done there it seems

the city and park district organization might have to upgrade the stadium regardless if Bears stay. Maybe they can get a second NFL team. Chicago could easily support another team with full support

Chicago Jets :ehh:

Brozay

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Bears have no issues filling up Soldier Field in the winter if they have a half way decent team

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps

That’s probably what’s going to happen most likely,the question is what team would move to chicago
I hope at least leave the dome open during nfl games

Brozay

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Chicago Jets :ehh:
Chicago could easily support another team if that stadium becomes vacant and gets an upgrade. Goodell would love adding another team to the market I bet. Would print money. Better than something like going back to St Louis or trying San Antonio, Memphis, Orlando which have meh histories supporting pro teams

Brozay

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
That’s probably what’s going to happen most likely,the question is what team would move to chicago
I hope at least leave the dome open during nfl games
they wouldn’t even move a team there. Goodell wants to add a bunch of new franchises. They were talking about maxing up to 40 teams and keep expanding the schedule for games played lol

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
This cap about cold weather football gotta stop, nikkas sounding like 60 year old white men. Football thrives in the sunbelt becuase, gasp, it ain’t cold. And no one wants to pay $100-2000 for tickets to sit in 7 degree weather. This ain’t 1980 when you could take a family to a game for fifty bucks. Lastly, let these teams go to the burbs, at this point every big city has more pressing issues and better things to do with land than having it occupied for games and with slabs of parking lots

Last edited:

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
My Pops Forever RIP
This cap about cold weather football gotta stop, nikkas sounding like 60 year old white men. Football thrives in the sunbelt becuase, gasp, it ain’t cold. And no one wants to pay $100-2000 for tickets to sit in 7 degree weather. This ain’t 1980 when you could take a family to a game for fifty bucks. Lastly, let these teams go to the burbs, at this point every big city has mor pressing issues and better things to do with land than having it occupied for games and with slabs of parking lots
You say that now. When your team leaves the whole city cries and is like "don't gooooo" :damn: unless you're Oakland.

and when gentrification drives us out of cities, where do we eventually settle? In the burbs, so in a weird way you're pushing the franchises to places with people you're tryna get away from.

Then 10 years from now someone (sometimes, a desperate politician) sketches up a plan for a stadium downtown. It never fails.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
You say that now. When your team leaves the whole city cries and is like "don't gooooo" :damn: unless you're Oakland.

and when gentrification drives us out of cities, where do we eventually settle? In the burbs, so in a weird way you're pushing the franchises to places with people you're tryna get away from.

Then 10 years from now someone (sometimes, a desperate politician) sketches up a plan for a stadium downtown. It never fails.
Every city ain’t doing it to escape certain citizens :mjpls: especially when you have a whole bunch of baseball and basketball ball teams moving into cities, but today’s football stadiums don’t fit today’s cities.

And people crying “stay” be the same ones mad it ain’t no parking lot or tailgating because they don’t have space and zoning for that and parking costs $50.

Moving outside the city is not the same as a team actually relocating to a different metro. Most football attendees are coming from all over the area/state, it makes no difference if a city dweller gotta drive 30-40 minutes to get to a burb, they’re a drop in the bucket of attendees. Only thing being lost are the more interesting views for broadcasts to pan out to.