Chained Echoes December 8 (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Game Pass, Switch, and PC via Steam and GOG)

Doomsday

Superstar
Daps
Had this have come out during the 16-bit era it would be held in the same regard as FF6 and Chrono Trigger. It's that good.

Rell Shyt
:mjlol:This game wouldn't exist without those games to influence it.

:mjlol:And the writing is terrible. The music is great though.

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I like the direction of everything so far, but yeah, it was definitely a rougher translation from German to English with some of the writing being a bit awkwardly phrased

Grand Conde

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's very hard to judge this game on its own merits - it's such a SNES JRPG pastiche; a very good pastiche, but completely unoriginal.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
It's very hard to judge this game on its own merits - it's such a SNES JRPG pastiche; a very good pastiche, but completely unoriginal.
The majority of the game subvert tropes from that era. Like the lead male character being the chosen one who ends up in a romance with the female lead. Completely subverted almost masterfully so.

The guy was a drunk jealous silver spooned a$$hole that killed his crush and spent the rest of his days trying to make himself feel better about what he did. The female lead hated him but ended up forgiving him for what he did and she was actually the chosen one

Or how the king basically has his plan
completely implode on him so he turns it into a zero requiem from Code Geass and decides to unite the continent behind his sister and commits suicide to have it appear she killed him to save the continent. For most of the game he was the antagonist.

The battle system and leveling system is drastically different from most of the games of that era.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I think I'm gonna have to YouTube this game's ending. I'm not sure this is the last boss but it cast act thrice at the beginning of the battle and it can one-shot anybody in your party at will. One time it one shot the next in line and cranked out 6 uninterrupted turns at the start of the fight.

Part of the problem is there's no way to revive someone with more than 25% in the sky armors and that's not enough health to take a single attack from it. Once it down a character I can't revive them without them going right back down in the 3 turns it gets at a time.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Buckled down and finished it. This game left major plot threads unfinished. I would say to the point there really needs to be a sequel. Interesting choice made with the main protagonist at the end. Stays with the theme of the game subverting normal tropes in JRPGs.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
So I've got about 12 hours into this game now and some of yal been staight up full of shyt :mjlol:

Honestly the game is great and way better than I expected, but difficulty? Can't grind? Money strain? C A P

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Until you are half way into the game you don't get access to a decent group healing spell.

80% of the enemy acts in the game are enemies spamming attacks that hit your whole party for 1/3rd to 1/2 of your HP. Almost every boss cast act twice at the start of the battle and usually just spams party hitting spells over and over again.

Because of the overdrive bar you can't even always heal when you want because both your actions and the enemy actions drive the bar higher unless you take an action you don't necessarily want to take to mitigate the bar.

Late game bosses cast act thrice and or summon minions with those same group spamming spells.

Sometimes fights came down to redoing them until it worked out that the boss didn't down my healer or mage. Many times had to put poison and bleed on the boss and spend the rest of the fight managing the overdrive meter, keeping everyone alive, and keeping those statuses on the boss until it killed them.

66 hours into the game. Did every side quest presented to me. Did about 2/3rds of the reward board.
Screenshot-20230102-144340-Chrome.jpg

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
i can already see the problem is you're trying to outlast these bosses and not burst them down

and wtf - there are items that manage that overdrive meter too. also a lot of these armor upgrades outright dissolve incoming damage if you're buffing/debuffing. the crystal system is materia on crack. the aoe's aren't any worse than octopath either

shyt, bosses spamming multihit attacks at the start gets you into the overdrive sweetspot faster lol

Last edited: