Chained Echoes December 8 (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Game Pass, Switch, and PC via Steam and GOG)

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
:mjlol:Exactly, stupid battle system like I stated.

:mjlol:And who the fukk makes an RPG that you can't grind on?
The battle system is decent. It’s the leveling system that’s beyond broken. This is the type of game where any battle can wipe your party out. The game keeps you at a certain battle strength throughout never letting you become so powerful you can just run through enemies.

In a usual JRPG dungeon fights are trivial or easily become trivial. You can just mindlessly tap a button and get through them. Here pretty much every fight requires your full attention you gotta buff your party debuff the enemy mind the overdrive meter.

I’m digging the story but NGL I’m at the point I avoid all battles I don’t have to fight because the fact that you’re not really getting stronger from them makes them tedious especially considering how long they take.

The easiest way to fix this game is to go to a traditional experience level system instead of tying level progression to boss battles.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
some of yal be telling on yourselves boldly

gotta be able to grind to brute force a battle system that's whooping on you or its the game's fault :dead:
Not really. What’s the point of these battles? Skill level 2 requires like 300-400ish skill points to go to the next level on attacks and I’m getting 2-7 skill points per battle. A regular battle can take upwards 5-7 minutes per battle. Why bother fighting them for such minuscule rewards?

The game doesn’t do a good job of giving you a reason to fight rank and file enemies.

For the bosses the fights are good and challenging. For normal enemies they become a chore. Luckily you can avoid a fair amount of battles.

Th3G3ntleman

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
The battle system is decent. It’s the leveling system that’s beyond broken. This is the type of game where any battle can wipe your party out. The game keeps you at a certain battle strength throughout never letting you become so powerful you can just run through enemies.

In a usual JRPG dungeon fights are trivial or easily become trivial. You can just mindlessly tap a button and get through them. Here pretty much every fight requires your full attention you gotta buff your party debuff the enemy mind the overdrive meter.

I’m digging the story but NGL I’m at the point I avoid all battles I don’t have to fight because the fact that you’re not really getting stronger from them makes them tedious especially considering how long they take.

The easiest way to fix this game is to go to a traditional experience level system instead of tying level progression to boss battles.

No offense but yall kind of sound like trash in here. Don't you get healed after every fight too? I haven't played it yet but it seems like its designed for you whack ass niccas to stare at the game over screen repeatedly and for those of us who put controller to proper purpose to succeed.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
No offense but yall kind of sound like trash in here. Don't you get healed after every fight too? I haven't played it yet but it seems like its designed for you whack ass niccas to stare at the game over screen repeatedly and for those of us who put controller to proper purpose to succeed.
you see it too

they not adding up

Doomsday

Superstar
Daps
:mjlol:Who's yaw? I never once stated I had a problem winning battles. My issue was the feature within the battle system, not enemies.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
It takes about 4 full series of party turns to kill a single enemy. You hit a cluster of 4 enemies and some of these enemies are hitting you for upwards of 30%-50% of your character's health per single attack.

Almost all the enemies have a group attack that hits everyone for almost 1/3rd of your full health. Depending on how the battle goes I either kill the enemies or if a few of them target a mage or weaker character and down them I just restart the battle. You can't really do whatever you want to do in these battles because once you go into the red on the overdrive meter the enemy damage is much worse. It's not usually worth the effort to try and save the battle if a mage gets downed.

Boss fights are much more manageable because they don't have that level of RNG of having 4 enemies and who they randomly decide to attack and or pile up on it's usually just a single boss. In the normal mob fights there's been battles I've restarted and the second time it was a cake walk because they didn't wail on a single character and down them.

It's hard to describe. There are times where healing a low HP character will only make things worse for you. That's not intuitive in any other JRPG.

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I was quasi-interested in this game, but some comments here and in reviews + its artstyle being underwhelming for me for what it's trying to do. I think I'm probably pass on it. I have higher faith in Sea of Stars further succeeding in what this game is going for.

feelosofer

#ninergang
Daps
Reppin
Brick City, NJ
I am relatively early in the game. The story is interesting but when it comes to battles you have to make good use of buffs and status ailments to make the most of it. Otherwise the battles will overwhelm you.

Champion

#RxLife #UCF #FAMU
Daps
Reppin
Chi-Town to Tampa
A couple hours into this and it’s solid. The level system is weird you can’t really grind you have to beat bosses to level up. It’s more about strategy in the fights.

Money is too tight in this game. I can't really afford to reoutfit my party so unless I find equipment in the field. Some members 5 hours in still rocking the same weapon they came with.

This game is good. It’s hard but not ridiculously so. Just gotta play smart. But yeah I have about 10 game overs already. Some regular enemies are harder than boss fights

The battle system is decent. It’s the leveling system that’s beyond broken. This is the type of game where any battle can wipe your party out.

I am relatively early in the game. The story is interesting but when it comes to battles you have to make good use of buffs and status ailments to make the most of it. Otherwise the battles will overwhelm you.
Well it looks like I will be buying this. Thanks. :myman:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
At the beginning of act 2 you get a better healer with a decent revive spell that revives a character with 50% of their HP instead of like 15% for the usable item. Makes the battles so much more manageable if a character is downed. Also has a better group heal spell that heals the group for I wanna say 60% of their HP at the cost of their next turn.

That and getting a few more emblems has made battles much better. There is a reason for fighting some enemies because beating a certain number triggers rewards on the reward board.

If I had to score the game at this point I’d give it a 9/10. Love the story, main cast, boss battles are challenging, the music is amazing. The only thing I don’t really care for is the levels being tied to boss events, the reward board, and class emblems.

This game really does manage to capture the feel of an upper end SNES / PS1 level JRPG. The belongs in the conversation with games like Chrono Trigger, Suikoden, Final Fantasy IV and Xenogears. I like it way better than the new Star Ocean.

It’s hard to believe a single developer made this whole game. I plan to purchase it even though I got it on Game Pass just to support the developer.