Chained Echoes December 8 (PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Game Pass, Switch, and PC via Steam and GOG)

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Yeah you’re talking to the wrong person I don’t base what I play off reviews I think for myself :yeshrug:
I think for myself as well but when a group of people recognize something as being of high quality they typically aren’t wrong. The reverse is also usually true.

Animal House

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I think for myself as well but when a group of people recognize something as being of high quality they typically aren’t wrong. The reverse is also usually true.
I’m not saying the game is a masterpiece it’s a cool 7 or 8 and I’m fine with that some of my favorite games get that score from me. I don’t ultimately judge a game because of what a group of people think or say. That’s not facts that is usually true, you want to play a indie rpg have at it but leave me out of the hive mind gamer talk

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
I’m not saying the game is a masterpiece it’s a cool 7 or 8 and I’m fine with that some of my favorite games get that score from me. I don’t ultimately judge a game because of what a group of people think or say. That’s not facts that is usually true, you want to play a indie rpg have at it but leave me out of the hive mind gamer talk
Acknowledgment of general consensus isn’t being part of a hive mind. If Grand Theft Auto V gets called a masterpiece and the new Saints Row is said to be trash by general consensus you might feel the opposite but I’d say there’s a high probability they aren’t wrong.

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Going to enjoy this over the holidays, copped for Switch.

Love these passion projects made by a single person. Dude put like 7 years into this and it seems like a love letter to the SNES/PSX era

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
A couple hours into this and it’s solid. The level system is weird you can’t really grind you have to beat bosses to level up. It’s more about strategy in the fights.

There’s also a meter that requires you to keep it in the green to be at optimal fighting strength. Some actions fill it and some reduce it. If you aren’t careful you will go into the read and be stuck defending for a while unable to heal so you can reduce it.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
for 20 bucks this has been way more than i expected lol

people get real weird about 7-8 being an underrated gem or sharp disappointment too. shyt's insufferable and the minute you ask someone to expand on it themselves they can't even speak plainly

Doomsday

Superstar
Daps
:mjlol:It's a cool game but he put too many eggs in one basket IMO.

Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy Tactics & VI, you can tell the aforementioned influence is oozing throughout the game. That's not necessarily a bad thing, however the game would have benefited from being more focused. I'm an hour or two in, and I don't like the character jumping one bit. It's too much exposition at one time, let me get comfortable playing with one character/party before we move on. In the short time I've played, I've jumped to a different character 4 times already. Final Fantasy did it the right way, but the guy who made this game didn't understand the nuance that goes into an ensemble cast in a videogame. The writing is also awkward. The synopsis during character spotlights were laughably bad at times.

I also don't like the battle system. It's interesting in that it's unique, but the execution of the feature misses the mark. I don't want to be told HOW to play the game, that defeats the purpose of immersing myself in an RPG. The game forcing you to defend or choose highlighted abilities in order to maintain the battle gauge is annoying.

I will play the game through to the end, which is indicative that the game IS interesting enough for me to feel that way, however the lack of professionalism is all over this INDY game.

Last edited:

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
:mjlol:It's a cool game but he put too many eggs in one basket IMO.

Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy Tactics & VI, you can tell the aforementioned influence is oozing throughout the game. That's not necessarily a bad thing, however the game would have benefited from being more focused. I'm an hour or two in, and I don't like the character jumping one bit. It's too much exposition at one time, let me get comfortable playing with one character/party before we move on. In the short time I've played, I've jumped to a different character 4 times already. Final Fantasy did it the right way, but the guy who made this game didn't understand the nuance that goes into an ensemble cast in a videogame. The writing is also awkward at times. The synopsis during character spotlights were laughably bad at times.

I also don't like the battle system. It's interesting in that it's unique, but the execution of the feature misses the mark. I don't want to be told HOW to play the game, that defeats the purpose of immersing myself in an RPG. The game forcing you to defend or choose highlighted abilities in order to maintain the battle gauge is annoying.

I will play the game through to the end, which is indicative that the game IS interesting enough for me to feel that way, however the lack of professionalism is all over this INDY game.
The character jumping is at the introduction to the game. In about 2 hours in all those characters are in the same party.

Once you get that party you can switch characters at will without penalty and you don’t have to worry about the Overdrive gauge as much.

This game is about party balance and set up for optimal strategy. Switching characters lowers the overdrive gauge. You simply haven’t made it far enough to have a real grasp of the full battle system.

Doomsday

Superstar
Daps
The character jumping is at the introduction to the game. In about 2 hours in all those characters are in the same party.

Once you get that party you can switch characters at will without penalty and you don’t have to worry about the Overdrive gauge as much.

This game is about party balance and set up for optimal strategy. Switching characters lowers the overdrive gauge. You simply haven’t made it far enough to have a real grasp of the full battle system.
:mjlol:It's still annoying. FFVI did it in a much more nuanced way, getting you comfortable and invested with each character before they jumped to the next one. This game just randomly switches characters and you have no idea what's going on in the begining.

winb83

52 Years Young
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Michigan
Money is too tight in this game. I can't really afford to reoutfit my party so unless I find equipment in the field. Some members 5 hours in still rocking the same weapon they came with.

Because money is so tight healing items are costly and I try to avoid using them. Consequently if one of your party members gets downed it's a bytch trying to revive them because only one guy has a dedicated healing spell that heals for a decent amount the other spell is a group heal that doesn't hit for enough HP. At times I revive a character and before I can get their HP up they're back down especially because the revive item gives them barely any HP.

The enemies are damage sponges that take a lot to kill. So regular fights start dragging on and these fights aren't really getting you stronger because you only really level up after boss fights. The battles aren't random but the enemies are placed in your path so you have to defeat them to continue.

The fact that you can't grind to get stronger makes these fights kinda tedious. Once one or two of your party members falls the fight is effectively over because you can't get them back up and the overdrive meter becomes unmanageable so you'll end up in the read with the enemies attacks hitting harder.

Interesting ideas with the battle system but the cliché JRPG money constraints and locking you out of grinding really hurt it.

Doomsday

Superstar
Daps
Interesting ideas with the battle system but the cliché JRPG money constraints and locking you out of grinding really hurt it.
:mjlol:Exactly, stupid battle system like I stated.

:mjlol:And who the fukk makes an RPG that you can't grind on?

Styles

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The H
This game is good. It’s hard but not ridiculously so. Just gotta play smart. But yeah I have about 10 game overs already. Some regular enemies are harder than boss fights

Doomsday

Superstar
Daps
some of yal be telling on yourselves boldly

gotta be able to grind to brute force a battle system that's whooping on you or its the game's fault :dead:
:mjlol:I never once said I had a problem beating the enemies or bosses in this game. I explained my position. If you're not going to read what I wrote and respond directly to that, then you're just saying nothing.