Carmelo and La La on cover of "Black Love" Ebony Mag. edit-thoughts?

RhodyRum

Mark Gassed-A-Heaux
Daps
Reppin
The Great Green North
Dude, some black people throw their so-called mixed background all the time when it's to their advantage. Saying they are part this and that even if they aren't. There are black women all over Houston saying they are Creole or mixed but come to every black event or party. I'm sure they run back and shyt on darker skinned black people when it's convenient. It's all insecurity about being black because quite frankly being black in this world is not what's hot especially when you interact with other races. Some people embrace their blackness and some don't. It's just the way it is.

And I wouldn't consider those self-hating a$$holes to be representative of black love neither. Black love shouldn't be defined as only 2 black people in a romantic relationship, but should also be defined empirically as self love, and self acceptance of who you are. And I have no problem whatsoever with a person who chooses to relate and identify with just a single part of their cultural makeup, it's your life and you can do as you see fit for your survival. Just don't play the two faced game. Don't be on some black power, freedom fighter ish, yet you're quick to play the other side of the coin when you see fit to your benefit. That's not black love, or black anything. It's just being a phoney person, and that's not exclusive to any one race or culture.

Furthermore, anyone who realizes that being black ain't the hottest thing in these streets of America yet uses that to fuel self-hate, is just a spineless, weak-willed coward IMO. But it's easier to do that than to strengthen your will & use that :mjpls: attitude hoisted upon you from society as fuel and motivation to do better for yourself. They need to realize how much sweeter victory tastes when you score a W in an arena where you're not expected to score anything but a rap sheet. But again, it has to start with self love and acceptance of who you are, and rejection of "black" being synonymous with bad traits (for example when 2 sistas are trading words and one ALWAYS has to call the other a "black bytch" :snoop: . Like damn, "bytch" wasn't enough?). Anyway, that's just my 2 cents and feel free to ask me anything else.

And keep in mind I ain't a Coli militant who's looking to rule over white folk. I'm just a black dude whose extremely comfortable in his skin, LOVES his skin color, loves to share the brown pipe with any chick I'm attracted to, and just wants to see love and humane treatment from and for all.

blackzeus

Superstar
Daps
Please refer to @Marvel post:

She's black when it comes time to be an NBA baller wifey and BET VJ. She could be a high class black girl or be a wigger wife, and she chose what she chose. I can't really speak on LaLa, I don't know her personally. But I've seen too many of her types to still believe in giving her the benefit of a doubt if she really considers herself AA. And obviously breh by the responses in this thread, it's not just me. :manny:

And just in time...

I'm not mad, I saw the same interview where she made sure to include that her black father grandma was Hispanic and some other bullshyt.

That bytch said "In this country, black." Because of the one drop "law" that no longer exists. I'm not mad, but you are dumb, you wanna accept a bytch who is only black by technicality in her opinion.

/thread in-denial brehs. @GreatestLaker, do you understand now why we don't consider her black?

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
dont see what the issue is some of yall have.... i think it's good shyt...need more couples of color being celebrated....

DarlingNikki

lil baby
Daps
Reppin
Puerta Medusa.
She can be what she wants to be. A lot of people with her same racial/ethnic wouldn't even give two shyts about their black part. A person's identity is shaped by their environment and how they react to it. That is why a dude like Mario Ballotelli considers himself Italian over being Ghanaian. If he grew up in a Ghanaian home he would think differently. You are the one that has the problem breh. I'm not considered African-American by some even though I was born here. I've been told I'm different since parents came straight from the motherland. It doesn't bother me. People have different categorizations for the themselves and others have a different for them. Some people argue that black Americans are not 100% black so they shouldn't consider themselves of African decent and just consider themselves mixed or American.

Didn't read past the first sentence, if you read my original quote you'd see that I agree. Identify with what you want, but if you think you're only technically black you shouldn't be on the cover of a black love mag.

lutha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
When I think black love, I think of:

obama10207_narrowweb__300x387,0.jpg

emmitt-smith-wife-pat-smith-leliacheley.jpg

dat nikka won :banderas:

harold-washington.jpg

wsmith_jada_GL_22apr09_pa_b_592x888.jpg

I always think AA when I think about it, so yeah, to me at least, it's kind of weird that they're not really AA. But whatever though, I'm not a subscriber :manny:

those are good examples of black love too....but so are the 2 couples on the mag's cover

Marvel

Psalm 149:5-9
Daps
Reppin
House of Yasharahla

She's black when it comes time to be an NBA baller wifey and BET VJ. She could be a high class black girl or be a wigger wife, and she chose what she chose. I can't really speak on LaLa, I don't know her personally. But I've seen too many of her types to still believe in giving her the benefit of a doubt if she really considers herself AA. And obviously breh by the responses in this thread, it's not just me. :manny:

But those are still assumptions about how some feel about how she identifies herself. I'm sure some so called Latinos is mad that she was on the Ebony cover as well even though most Latinos don't have African ancestry like she does. If she got into a fight with a Mexican girl in East LA she would be called a mayate real quick.

Marvel

Psalm 149:5-9
Daps
Reppin
House of Yasharahla
Didn't read past the first sentence, if you read my original quote you'd see that I agree. Identify with what you want, but if you think you're only technically black you shouldn't be on the cover of a black love mag.

I agree with this but a lot of black people say they have this and that in their blood but yet consider themselves black, that is also a technicality.

blackzeus

Superstar
Daps
But those are still assumptions about how some feel about how she identifies herself. I'm sure some so called Latinos is mad that she was on the Ebony cover as well even though most Latinos don't have African ancestry like she does. If she got into a fight with a Mexican girl in East LA she would be called a mayate real quick.

She considers herself Hispanic breh, yes her reality is different, as is Tiger Woods, as is Zoe Saldana, but if you ask them, they don't say BLACK. That's why they shouldn't be representing BLACK love. Cotdman y'all need to learn how to read :snoop:

DarlingNikki

lil baby
Daps
Reppin
Puerta Medusa.
I agree with this but a lot of black people say they have this and that in their blood but yet consider themselves black, that is also a technicality.

Here's the thing, when you ask those people what race they are, if they consider themselves black, they'll say black. That makes them Black Americans.

Mariah Carey blatantly said she's black, only in this country, and due to the one drop law although she has way more than one drop because her father is a black man. That in itself shows she excludes herself, so why try to accept someone who doesn't accept you?

She went one step further to make her father a special negro by saying he has a Venezuelan grandma, as if there are no black people in Venezuela. She doesn't want to be black, don't force her.

Rack4K

Banned
Daps
Reppin
BK
Wait..Lala is not black because she has spanish-speaking parents? Huh?:patrice:

It's the Mariah Carey part I don't agree with. She's a white one-dropper. Putting her on the cover with Nick Cannon with 'Black Love' written on it clearly trivializes the term. You may as well put Jessica Alba and her husband Cash Warren (both confirmed to have black ancestry) on there as well.

GreatestLaker

#FirePelinka
Bushed
Daps

Why would she have to consider herself African-American? AA = A black person whose ancestors were slaves in the US.

You can still identify as black and not be African-American. Her black ancestry isn't from the US, but that doesn't make her any less black. Her identifying as, Rican, Latina or Hispanic doesn't make her any less black either. Those aren't racial categories.

valet

The official Chaplain of the Coli
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Well she's Black and he's Black, so HELL YEAH!

I don't see the issue, you do know that slave ships brought more people to the Caribbean and Central/South America than were brought to North America right? Latino is a cultural designation, not racial.
Yes, I do understand that. But people have different def. of Blackness. Thus, why I made the thread.