Captain Marvel (Official Thread) March 8th 2019: 7th Marvel Film To Cross 1B$

JMurder

SOHH Member since 01...
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
OG ms marvel and captain marvel carol danvers are different characters are they not? And honestly Larson isnt a good casting as either. :yeshrug: you talking about hair length as if the character in its current iteration isnt literally the short hair version that never changed costume

This is like defending Andrew Garfield's Spiderman by reminding me there's a version where spidey is a cartoon pig. Like....alright.....
:heh: I really have no idea what you're talking about. Ms. Marvel and Captain Marvel are the same character. That's like saying Robin and Red Hood Jason Todd were two different characters. Your last analogy is nonsensical.

JMurder

SOHH Member since 01...
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
In 2012, DeConnick created something of a masterpiece when she breathed new life into Captain Marvel. The female superhero first appeared in 1977, and originally named Ms. Marvel as a nod to the iconic feminist magazine, Ms.. She was a minor character but with DeConnick’s writing, Captain Marvel was re-developed to become one of the central characters in the Marvel Universe.

You're paying too much attention to the use of the word reboot. In comics you can reboot an established character without really changing their backstory. Actually, many times they reboot a character and just flesh out the backstory... But it's still there same character.

JMurder

SOHH Member since 01...
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
DeConnick created something of a masterpiece when she breathed new life into Captain Marvel. The female superhero first appeared in 1977, and originally named Ms. Marvel as a nod to the iconic feminist magazine, Ms.. She was a minor character but with DeConnick’s writing, Captain Marvel was re-developed to become one of the central characters in the Marvel Universe.

DeConnick’s reboot was also accompanied by a new look—leaving behind thigh-high boots, a swim suit, and a mask for shorter hair, a Chuck Yeager jumpsuit, and sensible footwear.

DeConnick’s comic book narrative begins with a touching tribute to Carol Danvers’s mentor and fellow air force pilot Helen Cobb—stressing the importance of inspiring female role models. Readers find out that Captain Marvel has tremendous powers drawn from her half human, half Kree DNA. Soon, Danvers is transported back in time and joins the Banshee Squadron, an all-female fighting unit in the Second World War doing battle and using Kree technology to advance the fight.

Carol Danvers also winds up being present at the moment of her superhero origin. Instead of following the 1977 narrative, where she was the victim in an explosion that would give her powers, DeConnick re-writes the narrative as a choice.

Danvers has the opportunity to prevent the explosion but chooses to let the past unfold in alignment with her current desire to be a superhero. This gives Captain Marvel’s reboot a compelling edge. She’s chosen her own destiny to become “the stars we were always meant to be.”

New author, new artstyle, rewrote the orgin story onscreen....yet...this is not a reboot. In the same publication with like 2-3 Peter Parkers. Ok man:hubie: im no comic expert

Im not gonna keep mincing words with dudes hopping in a discussion spinning the point away from Larson being a miscast in any iteration in the first place
:heh:

A new author and new art style means absolutely nothing in comics breh. Some comics get that every other year. shyt, some comics have multiple authors and artists putting out content for the same character in the same month.

Edit: and so you're aware of the author and art style of the Deconnick Captain Marvel
cm2.jpg

Another Deconnick panel with a different artist
captain-marvel-deputy-avenger-9.png

Kelly Sue Deconnick's Captain Marvel in Review! | Comic Book Herald

That’s not to say DeConnick’s work is a hard departure from all that’s come before, in fact it wholly owns Carol’s past. But while previous creators chose to play up nostalgia elements for what amounts to their own self-serving ends, Kelly Sue embraces it all with a wink and puts it all in the rearview- because it is very much all about the empowerment of the current moment. Carol is Captain Marvel now. There is no going back.

It’s not total smooth sailing for thirty-something issues, though, as there are periodic hiccups. The first volume sees a great deal of artist turnover, with initial artist Dexter Soy taking off after only the first handful of issues. The 2014 follow-up relaunch sees a more consistent visual with regular artist David Lopez, with physical, expressive comedy becoming more common in the storytelling.

Last edited:

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
DeConnick created something of a masterpiece when she breathed new life into Captain Marvel. The female superhero first appeared in 1977, and originally named Ms. Marvel as a nod to the iconic feminist magazine, Ms.. She was a minor character but with DeConnick’s writing, Captain Marvel was re-developed to become one of the central characters in the Marvel Universe.

DeConnick’s reboot was also accompanied by a new look—leaving behind thigh-high boots, a swim suit, and a mask for shorter hair, a Chuck Yeager jumpsuit, and sensible footwear.

DeConnick’s comic book narrative begins with a touching tribute to Carol Danvers’s mentor and fellow air force pilot Helen Cobb—stressing the importance of inspiring female role models. Readers find out that Captain Marvel has tremendous powers drawn from her half human, half Kree DNA. Soon, Danvers is transported back in time and joins the Banshee Squadron, an all-female fighting unit in the Second World War doing battle and using Kree technology to advance the fight.

Carol Danvers also winds up being present at the moment of her superhero origin. Instead of following the 1977 narrative, where she was the victim in an explosion that would give her powers, DeConnick re-writes the narrative as a choice.

Danvers has the opportunity to prevent the explosion but chooses to let the past unfold in alignment with her current desire to be a superhero. This gives Captain Marvel’s reboot a compelling edge. She’s chosen her own destiny to become “the stars we were always meant to be.”

New author, new artstyle, rewrote the orgin story onscreen....yet...this is not a reboot. In the same publication with like 2-3 Peter Parkers. Ok man:hubie: im no comic expert

Im not gonna keep mincing words with dudes hopping in a discussion spinning the point away from Larson being a miscast in any iteration in the first place

Comics always get new writers and new art styles. :skip:

the origin story in her movie is of course gonna be different then the comic. There ain't no OG Captain Marvel in the mcu for starters.

And yeah their gonna crib from the recent runs..
1. Marvel has been trying to make her their "Wonder Woman" since the mid-2000s
2. She doesn't really have any stories worth talking about. Everyone knew her as the chick who Rogue got her powers from or the chick who married the son she gave birth too :pachaha:

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Comics always get new writers and new art styles. :skip:

the origin story in her movie is of course gonna be different then the comic. There ain't no OG Captain Marvel in the mcu for starters.

And yeah their gonna crib from the recent runs..
1. Marvel has been trying to make her their "Wonder Woman" since the mid-2000s
2. She doesn't really have any stories worth talking about. Everyone knew her as the chick who Rogue got her powers from or the chick who married the son she gave birth too :pachaha:
Im referring to her remaking her origin in the comics

Honestly this shyt is just confusing

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
they didn't remake her origin in the comics breh
"DeConnick created something of a masterpiece when she breathed new life into Captain Marvel. The female superhero first appeared in 1977, and originally named Ms. Marvel as a nod to the iconic feminist magazine, Ms.. She was a minor character but with DeConnick’s writing, Captain Marvel was re-developed to become one of the central characters in the Marvel Universe.

DeConnick’s reboot was also accompanied by a new look—leaving behind thigh-high boots, a swim suit, and a mask for shorter hair, a Chuck Yeager jumpsuit, and sensible footwear."

Coli says not a reboot tho.

"Carol Danvers also winds up being present at the moment of her superhero origin. Instead of following the 1977 narrative, where she was the victim in an explosion that would give her powers, DeConnick re-writes the narrative as a choice.

Danvers has the opportunity to prevent the explosion but chooses to let the past unfold in alignment with her current desire to be a superhero. This gives Captain Marvel’s reboot a compelling edge. She’s chosen her own destiny to become “the stars we were always meant to be.”"

B b but breh, its not reboot, they didnt redo the origin.

Somebody lying:coffee:

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
"DeConnick created something of a masterpiece when she breathed new life into Captain Marvel. The female superhero first appeared in 1977, and originally named Ms. Marvel as a nod to the iconic feminist magazine, Ms.. She was a minor character but with DeConnick’s writing, Captain Marvel was re-developed to become one of the central characters in the Marvel Universe.

DeConnick’s reboot was also accompanied by a new look—leaving behind thigh-high boots, a swim suit, and a mask for shorter hair, a Chuck Yeager jumpsuit, and sensible footwear."

Coli says not a reboot tho.

"Carol Danvers also winds up being present at the moment of her superhero origin. Instead of following the 1977 narrative, where she was the victim in an explosion that would give her powers, DeConnick re-writes the narrative as a choice.

Danvers has the opportunity to prevent the explosion but chooses to let the past unfold in alignment with her current desire to be a superhero. This gives Captain Marvel’s reboot a compelling edge. She’s chosen her own destiny to become “the stars we were always meant to be.”"

B b but breh, its not reboot, they didnt redo the origin.

Somebody lying:coffee:

That's not a reboot. That's a retcon. Retcon's happen alot in comics

Nobodies lying breh, you're just making some comic shyt more complex then it is. That's understandable tho.. these characters have been around for a long time :pachaha:

JMurder

SOHH Member since 01...
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
Didnt she get rebooted without that backstory? Which the short hair iteration is?

Thats the actual question. I don't follow comics but they should have rebooted then universe twice in that span right?

her backstory never got rebooted... they did I think retcon her mom being kree around the time the movie came out

Ummmmmm:francis:

It's a very subtle goal post move you're making but you're making it.

Remember your original argument
OG ms marvel and captain marvel carol danvers are different characters are they not? And honestly Larson isnt a good casting as either. :yeshrug: you talking about hair length as if the character in its current iteration isnt literally the short hair version that never changed costume

This is like defending Andrew Garfield's Spiderman by reminding me there's a version where spidey is a cartoon pig. Like....alright.....

It's been shown to you several times that your take is wrong. Why don't you try listening to the actual comic readers. Deconnick did create the short haired Danvers that wasn't as hypersexualized as Ms Marvel but when the story started she still was very clearly a more feminine long haired version. Her backstory remains mostly the same with small changes which happens to EVERY comic character. You see that the Captain Marvel suit was actually created in the Deconnick storyline and I have provided you images containing a feminine long haired version wearing that suit, but you're still out here arguing.

Red Shield

Global Domination
Daps
Reppin
.0001%
Also I think a huge part of why Carol got short hair and looked mannish when she got the new costume/new name.. is because the designer for the new suit was Kris Anka

like his designs..but he can't draw women with making them look like guys :pachaha:

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Ummmmmm:francis:

It's a very subtle goal post move you're making but you're making it.

Remember your original argument

My nikka, you're not even quoting my original argument then you're telling me im moving goalposts. The argument was about Brie Larson being a miscast and you brought up 6 other different designs that she looks nothing like and that the MCU didnt adapt

If you wanna talk moving goalposts why the fukk are you arguing with me about this design that has never appeared in the MCU?

626835._SX1600_QL80_TTD_.jpg

You got upset that I shyt on the movie now you arguing nonsense for pages on end. Remember that when you wanna talk about goalposts :scust:

It's been shown to you several times that your take is wrong. Why don't you try listening to the actual comic readers. Deconnick did create the short haired Danvers that wasn't as hypersexualized as Ms Marvel but when the story started she still was very clearly a more feminine long haired version. Her backstory remains mostly the same with small changes which happens to EVERY comic character. You see that the Captain Marvel suit was actually created in the Deconnick storyline and I have provided you images containing a feminine long haired version wearing that suit, but you're still out here arguing.
It's hard to take you seriously when you lost the plot on this discussion posts ago to appeal authority as a comic reader. Like I posted an article (twice) referring to it as a reboot and you still stuck on "Look! She had long hair but liek now she doesnt! Comik expurt!"

You keep going on about hair length but the fact is the current comic Carol Danvers has a different orgin story along with the different look than the 70s. Her body shape is different. Art style different. They redepicted her origin on screen and changed it.

And to the retcon point, I know im not a comic expert like the rest of you but I know the difference between a retcon and a reboot :mjlol: you dont re-depict an entire origin story for a retcon
"
Retroactive continuity, or retcon for short,[1][2] is a literary device in which established diegetic 'facts' in the plot of a fictional work are adjusted, ignored, or contradicted by a subsequently published work which breaks continuity with the former."

But since my flawed takes dont matter, here are other comic experts referring to a reboot as a reboot
Captain Comics: The many iterations of Captain Marvel

On here is the only.time I've seen it referred to as a retcon BUT OK.

Like if we we're arguing reboot vs recon in the sense that the 2012 version reimagined the orgin via time travel but you not even taking it there. Whatever

JMurder

SOHH Member since 01...
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
My nikka, you're not even quoting my original argument then you're telling me im moving goalposts. The argument was about Brie Larson being a miscast and you brought up 6 other different designs that she looks nothing like and that the MCU didnt adapt

If you wanna talk moving goalposts why the fukk are you arguing with me about this design that has never appeared in the MCU?

626835._SX1600_QL80_TTD_.jpg

You got upset that I shyt on the movie now you arguing nonsense for pages on end. Remember that when you wanna talk about goalposts :scust:

It's hard to take you seriously when you lost the plot on this discussion posts ago to appeal authority as a comic reader. Like I posted an article (twice) referring to it as a reboot and you still stuck on "Look! She had long hair but liek now she doesnt! Comik expurt!"

You keep going on about hair length but the fact is the current comic Carol Danvers has a different orgin story along with the different look than the 70s. Her body shape is different. Art style different. They redepicted her origin on screen and changed it.

And to the retcon point, I know im not a comic expert like the rest of you but I know the difference between a retcon and a reboot :mjlol: you dont re-depict an entire origin story for a retcon
"
Retroactive continuity, or retcon for short,[1][2] is a literary device in which established diegetic 'facts' in the plot of a fictional work are adjusted, ignored, or contradicted by a subsequently published work which breaks continuity with the former."

But since my flawed takes dont matter, here are other comic experts referring to a reboot as a reboot
Captain Comics: The many iterations of Captain Marvel

On here is the only.time I've seen it referred to as a retcon BUT OK.

Like if we we're arguing reboot vs recon in the sense that the 2012 version reimagined the orgin via time travel but you not even taking it there. Whatever

That's a lot of text I'm not reading.

At the end of the day you said she was miscast cause she's not some butch lesbian looking chick with a short cut like in the comics. I pointed out that she's had several looks in that uniform including a more feminine long haired one. If you wanna say she doesn't look like those either cool. All this shyt about her having a different origin was you juelzing just like you're doing here. It's ok

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
That's a lot of text I'm not reading.

At the end of the day you said she was miscast cause she's not some butch lesbian looking chick with a short cut like in the comics. I pointed out that she's had several looks in that uniform including a more feminine long haired one. If you wanna say she doesn't look like those either cool. All this shyt about her having a different origin was you juelzing just like you're doing here. It's ok
Yeah i realized you were wrong posts ago as well

JMurder

SOHH Member since 01...
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
marvel from what I see in the comics looks like a tough chick that lowkey got peach fuzz and wears boxers with dikkholes in em

For the movie they just got some random white bytch with negative ass who looks like she still live in a dorm room...she doesnt look old enough nor has the vibe of a war vet.

Seems like any blonde would have done for yall :yeshrug:

They arent depicting the "versions" of the character over the years, they are depicting butch war vet carol danvers

Furthermore OG ms marvel and danvers aint even the same people
. You must think im green or something:ufdup:

Besides, OG ms marvel doesnt resemble Larson either. A ms marvel with negative ass would have never made it on my Ultimate Alliance teams:ehh:

Its not better than GotG 2, Im 2 or Antman 2.

CM was consistently aight for better or worse. It was forgettable but not offensively bad.

The above 3 at least managed to hit high points in action (AM and IM2) or comedy. Thor 2 was the only truly bad MCU flick. Thor 1 was as forgettable as CM but the latter had better fight scenes.

I can't believe people hated AM2 like this, they did their thing on the fight scenes

Whatever bro cook lol