CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER - Kevin Feige (Movie Discussion Thread)

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
640x343xCaptain-America-The-Winter-Soldier-Baron-Speech.jpg.pagespeed.ic.9_QnZJ5VA3.jpg

:salute:

Roaden Polynice

Superstar
Daps
I thought it was the received wisdom that Nolan sucks at filming action scenes?

Uh...just got back from seeing it. fukk me there were a lot of Marvel previews in the beginning. I know, I know, it's a MARVEL film but I just never really want to see that goddamn Amazing Spiderman 2 trailer again, "It's all in the wrist!" "PETER!!" Ugh. And does that movie look like utter nonsense anyway? Ok yes, yes, marketing departments have the job to make the trailer sometimes and people want to get people into the theater to watch movies and far be it from me to judge if someone really thinks it's "cool" to show Spiderman hitting The Rhino in the face with a manhole cover in slow motion to boot, that's fine, I'm sure people will love that part in the movie but that movie looks like it's just gonna be a bunch of action sequences that have no real narrative thrust or purpose.

Like the scene in Cap 1 where it's just basically a montage of Captain shooting and twirling and shyt but it has very little to do with the actual plot of the movie. I get that feeling from TAS2.

Guardians of the Galaxy looks like a mess too but moreso because tonally it looks all over the fukking place.

That trailer for Lucy look...I mean I can't even :snoop:

I mean it looks dumb as fukk, time traveling, but it could sorta be dumb good. I dunno. And Hollywood needs to quit with the 10% brain use nonsense.

Oh. The Winter Soldier. It was good. Good Spring Blockbuster!

I just rewatched Cap 1 and TWS is hands down a better movie in almost every aspect, action, plot, non-stop intrigue and kinetic etc. Though I will say I think the dramatic portions of TWS aren't done as well as in Cap 1. Like, I think the dramatic, character beats in Cap 1 are much more resonant than in TWS. Yes, the part where Cap goes to the Smithsonian and watches his old boo on the screen, and then he visits her at her bedside are sorta hard-hitting, and then they put in the part with Bucky back in the 40s and that adds to the final confrontation and their whole dynamic. I dunno that just wasn't really clicking with me on a personal level. But compare that to the love arc between Peggy and Cap in Cap 1 where they sorta fumble around their love, Cap is that sorta shy doesn't really know much to do with women, but Cap shows that he can be a good guy and he's moral and upstanding which attracts a strong woman, they have genuine feeling for each other displayed in the bar scene after Bucky dies, and then they kiss at the end, say they're gonna dance next Wednesday and Cap falls into the Arctic or whatever. That was good for me. I will say though the bantz between Scarlett and Cap were good.

The thing that I loved about the movie was the plot parallels to real life. Privacy, freedom, social networks, whistleblowing, modern warfare. That all really clicked with me and I loved thinking about what the film was referencing or what it was getting at. I think in that regards it was a success to me. Like all the action was good, but it wasn't blowing my socks off, it was just all nicely put together and...no complaints.

:ld:

Khalil's_Black_Excellence

The King of Fighters
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
I never said the fights were completely lacking in grit (I like how Bucky got choked out for instance) , but the acrobatics took me out of the moment. Thats me. You enjoyed it, cool. And I will take Batmans fight scenes on the whole over this.

So Capt. is a superhuman? Presumably an extremely low level one? That would explain how he fared as well as he did against Buckys cyber arm. I thought his face would be ground beef and his ribs would be powder.

:rudy: They're fukking comic book movies you silly sonuvabytch. They're SUPPOSED to be acrobatic and a bit over-the-top (within reason/i.e. in lines of the character/s in question).

Daps
Reppin
49ers..Braves..Celtics
Y'all gotta stop with the Marvel Studios/Disney narrative. This was a great movie but it doesn't mean Iron Man 3 was also great. These are all different writing teams and different directors with different casts. Sometimes they get it right and it's awesome like they did here with Winter Soldier.

Other times is not so good (i.e. Iron Man 3).

pike

Banned
Daps
The action sequences in this were dope as fukk. Can't understand anyone hating on them. They were a lot more realistic and dark in tone than previous Marvel movies. The bullets ripping through cars and windows on the highway was some ill shyt :whew:

I'm not going to compare the scenes to anything else, just saying that Marvel really stepped their game up for this. :blessed:

mayne when the winter soldier spun that tactical knife outta his pocket like a boss the audience gasped like oh shyt, this guy is not playing

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Y'all gotta stop with the Marvel Studios/Disney narrative. This was a great movie but it doesn't mean Iron Man 3 was also great. These are all different writing teams and different directors with different casts. Sometimes they get it right and it's awesome like they did here with Winter Soldier.

Other times is not so good (i.e. Iron Man 3).

I disagree with the Iron Man 3 thing but I do agree with the overall sentiment. They're just like any movie studio, some hit, some miss, but every movie has their fans. I'm a fan of Iron Man 3 but not a lot of cats on here aren't. :yeshrug: it is what it is

Starman

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I
:rudy: They're fukking comic book movies you silly sonuvabytch. They're SUPPOSED to be acrobatic and a bit over-the-top (within reason/i.e. in lines of the character/s in question).
Theres no reason comic book movies are "supposed to be acrobatic", dummy. This is all taste. The director or whoever, obviously thought it was a good idea. You like it, good for you. I don't;
It's Capt. America, not Daredevil or Catwoman.

Jefe Blanco

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
I

Theres no reason comic book movies are "supposed to be acrobatic", dummy. This is all taste. The director or whoever, obviously thought it was a good idea. You like it, good for you. I don't;

:snoop: Cap is a Super Soldier. This isn't the director's taste, he's actually capable of pulling acrobatics off.

Abilities
Master Martial Artist: Rogers is an expert in hand-to-hand combat being very skilled in multiple martial arts through his training in military combatives and instruction under various private instructors.[67][68] He mainly utilizes American Boxing[64], Judo[64], Aikido[64], Jujutsu[64]. However, he has utilized other martial arts including hand techniques in Ninjutsu[64], Karate[64], Muay Thai[64], Escrima[64], Chin Na[64], Wing Chun[64], Northern Shaolin kicking methods[64] and Wushu[64] with his gymnastics ability creating a style that suits his strengths and enables him to use his knowledge to the best of his ability. Rogers has displayed all types of martial arts techniques from physical combat to chi manipulation. He is considered one of the finest martial artists on Earth[64].

Master Shieldmanship: His years of training and experience with his unique shield, as well as its physical properties, allow him to accomplish amazing feats with the item. Aside from bashing foes and blocking incoming attacks, he is able to throw it with nearly perfect aim. Rogers can hit multiple targets with the same throw by means of ricochet, and could even achieve a boomerang-like return effect, allowing him to strike enemies from behind or retrieve the shield without objects to ricochet from.

Master Tactician and Strategist: Rogers is an accomplished strategist. He had been widely considered one of, if not the greatest, tacticians on the planet, both on and off the battlefield. He is able to formulate battle strategies and his brilliant tactical sense allows him to alter any strategy to fit the changing need of the situation.

Advanced Military Operator: He is well-versed in all Armed force disciplines including intelligence gathering, escape arts, assassination, demolition, survival tactics, hunting, swimming, mountaineering, march/drill skills, map making and reading, decoding cipher and other secret code messages, reading and making wood craft signs and other secret code languages, disguising, interrogation, computers, explosives, communication systems, vehicles and electronic appliances used in armed forces.

Master Acrobat: His years of training and experience have made him an expert acrobat, gymnast, and aerialist. He often utilizes these talents in combat for both evasive and offensive purposes.

Indomitable Will: Rogers is a very strong-willed person. He is able to overcome most forms of temptation and resist the effects of extreme pain, drugs and toxins to a great extent. Rogers accepts his own mortality, and refuses to rob any sentient creature of its freedom. During the Forever War, he destroyed the Forever Crystal, deciding it was too dangerous to exist, despite the many benefits of its power. Rogers is also capable of resisting all forms of mind control; only the strongest willed individuals have a chance of enslaving him.

Professional Sketch Artist: He has great artistic skill which he developed from childhood. Rogers often worked as a freelance illustrator and sketch artist even loaning his skills to the NYPD for a time. He enjoys drawing and does so with his free time.

Expert Marksman: He can throw most projectile weaponry with great aim and is well-versed in the use of firearms, though he prefers not to use them.

Expert Swordsman: Steve is proficient with swords and staffs, but is more comfortable with his shield.

Weapons Proficiency: He does not typically utilize weapons other than his shield, but in desperate situations he wields additional weapons to ensure victory. He is proficient in wielding swords, daggers, throwing knifes, staffs, sticks, tonfa, axes, maces and even firearms.

Multi-lingual: Rogers is fluent in English, German, Russian, Spanish, Japanese, and some Italian. He might be lingual in other languages.

Expert Vehicular driver: He is proficient in driving cars, motor cycles, Trucks, jets, Tanker, helicopters, motor boats, sub marines, and some types of trains and utility vehicles.

http://marvel.wikia.com/Captain_America_(Steven_Rogers)

Fillerguy

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey
I

Evans: I remember when I first met with the Russos… Has anyone played the Captain America video game? I love it. And I don't like video games. But I loved it because I liked the way Cap moves. He moves so well and beats ass. This is how he should be moving. He doesn't just have speed and power. He's been training. He's got the frame of mind to absorb this information, so you can imagine with his training and abilities, the guy should really be dangerous and we should show this. It's not just taking Jason Bourne, if Bourne can do it, Cap should be flying through these things. We're turning up his power and his speed, so the fights are a bit more grisly.

Read more: Chris Evans on Captain America: The Winter Soldier, New Photos Released - ComingSoon.net http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=113585#ixzz2y3kXD95I
Follow us: @ComingSoonNet on Twitter | ComingSoon on Facebook

captainamerica34910wn5.jpg

captainamerica34912bw1.jpg

Starman

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
:snoop: Cap is a Super Soldier. This isn't the director's taste, he's actually capable of pulling acrobatics off.

http://marvel.wikia.com/Captain_America_(Steven_Rogers)

You guys love to burn a strawman. I never said he couldnt pull of those stunts, I said I think the fight scenes would have been better without them-and still do. And this isnt just about Capt., either. The villain on the ship might've slipped a back flip in there too.

Achille

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
S.M.B 4 EVER
I

It's already been stated that Cap can do all those things but the biggest influence how they wanted Cap to move came from the Super Soldier Video Game that came with the First Avenger Movie in 2011. Chris Evans wanted that too be in this movie.

Last edited: