Canibus says rappers don't have enough experience to make poetry like his era

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
Can you list some of these? I just want to be sure you’re not saying this while thinking of rappers like Young Thug, Lil Baby, Trippie Red, Carti, Durk, Lil Baby, DaBaby, and several others
Some of these Rappers today seem more up with the punchlines and things of that nature that involve clever lyrics and puns.
just listen to some of these rappers like say Sada baby

plus alot of these rappers were influenced by wayne bruh. so theres that where they try to mimic him and how he spits

but similar to wayne, they lack any ability to make cohesive narratives, thoughts, creative conceptual ideas, or substance

so like i said pros and cons.

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Some of these Rappers today seem more up with the punchlines and things of that nature that involve clever lyrics and puns.
just listen to some of these rappers like say Sada baby

plus alot of these rappers were influenced by wayne bruh. so theres that where they try to mimic him and how he spits

but similar to wayne, they lack any ability to make cohesive narratives, thoughts, creative conceptual ideas, or substance

so like i said pros and cons.

Yeah exactly. A lot of rappers these days sound like the offspring of Wayne, Jadakiss, Future and/or Gucci in the way that they construct their verses and the content of said verses. What's worse is that a lot of the time they're not innovating on the formula either.

In terms of the delivery though there is innovation, I like some of what Sada Baby does with delivery and the way his flow uses comedic timing & irony. His content is formulaic but the way he raps it isn't (as much).

Last edited:

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
Yeah exactly. A lot of rappers these days sound like the offspring of Wayne, Jadakiss, Future and/or Gucci in the way that they construct their verses and the content of said verses. What's worse is that a lot of the time they're not innovating on the formula either.

In terms of the delivery though there is innovation, I like some of what Sada Baby does with delivery and the way his flow uses comedic timing & irony. His content is formulaic but the way he raps it isn't (as much).
Yeah kinda

Throw Jay Z in there to cause he helped in that to

But Wayne was the biggest nail to hammer this in

He helped usher in a generation of great shyt talkers(Like Him, Jay z and Drake are) but not good Writers when it comes to expressing thought, feelings, stories, ideas

There's great spitters and shyt talkers in the game but no great writers let alone poets

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Yeah kinda

Throw Jay Z in there to cause he helped in that to

But Wayne was the biggest nail to hammer this in

He helped usher in a generation of great shyt talkers(Like Him, Jay z and Drake are) but not good Writers when it comes to expressing thought, feelings, stories, ideas

There's great spitters and shyt talkers in the game but no great writers let alone poets

There's a couple underground rappers that do that but yeah none that are mainstream.

Killalex

Hov did it so you don't have to
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TDE
How the fukk is Redman Poetic but not DMX and Scarface

I mean the prayers on all his albums are more poetic than MF Doom whole career and Redman's

I mean that song Who Be is literally in stanzas like a poem, he literally rapping a poem on that song

The Snakes, The Grass, Too Long Too See, the Lawn Mower, Sitting Right next to the Tree

That is incredible lyricism, because he's saying a lot with a just a few words while painting a picture

you have to understand what being poetic means, there's nothing poetic about 90 percent of Wu Tang music because they using slang every other word

There's nothing poetic about Andre 3k music, he can rap really well he's not lyrical at all

:comeon:

hcobbland84

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Chicago
The GOAT lyricist dropped plenty of jewels in this interview (as well as in his interview with all hip hop) and people only focus on a “perceived” negative.

:camby:

Bboystyle

Bang Bang Packers gang!
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
You big mad huh my guy. I don't care about the LL shyt or Dizaster. Dude was bodying everything.
Why would i be big mad lil guy? :heh:
Canibus aint no goat and u bumped a 2 year old thread just to suck him off. :scust:

LevelUp

Born To Mack
Daps
Why would i be big mad lil guy? :heh:
Canibus aint no goat and u bumped a 2 year old thread just to suck him off. :scust:
FOH. Bis had some of the best dudes of his era scared. Nas said it himself. And who gives a shyt about a bump. It's better than any SexxyRed thread

Tommy Gibbs

Superstar
Daps
well he's not lying. Some rappers had been waiting their whole lives to get their first album out. Illmatic had songs nas wrote from years prior, Eminem was 27, Jay was 26 going on 27, Canibus was 23. Today, someone starts rapping for the first time in February, by july of the next year they have a million followers and an album dropping. How the fukk can an artist be developed in that short amount of time?

Last edited: