Canibus says rappers don't have enough experience to make poetry like his era

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
hes right ion a sense, and this critique is applied to all really.

He's right. Minus a handful of rappers, the majority are just making trap haikus. I know that's a form of poetry as well, so I killed my own argument.

:francis:

this critque is not just limited to the trap rappers, same is the case with the "lyricial nikkas" real hip hop nikkas, etc hip hop in general is lacking very good poetic writing in terms of lyrics.

there arent many good poetic rappers or rappers who have a poetic element to them. nikkas are either obsessed with trying to come with some clever line to have as "bars" or just be so blunt in their words its no poetic touch to it.

feel how you feel about the blog era rappers in Cole, Krit, Mac Miller, kendrick etc. but they were atleast good poets and had good poetic showings in their music.

its pros and cons tho, because rappers today i feel are more wordplay and punchline savvy compared to prior gen(2000s rivaling them) and are better

DraymondT

Superstar
Daps
cebef6debb85a70fca0965c0b9e52551--blues-clues-dandy.jpg

All he wanna do is spit his shyt their 30 pages of rhymes in this mutha. Yagotta prepare every day for 3 weeks so many poetics can't memorize all that shyt :heh:

Cadillac

Veteran
Daps
The one thing i dont agree with canibus on, is that its base on experiences that the poetry is lacking

its not that some of these artist lack experiences, its creativity.

writing and lyric wise, there really hasnt been any artist as of late that has been impressive as a writer. Im not talking bars, but lyrics as far as telling a narrative, storytelling, creative idea, etc.

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps
hes right ion a sense, and this critique is applied to all really.

this critque is not just limited to the trap rappers, same is the case with the "lyricial nikkas" real hip hop nikkas, etc hip hop in general is lacking very good poetic writing in terms of lyrics.

there arent many good poetic rappers or rappers who have a poetic element to them. nikkas are either obsessed with trying to come with some clever line to have as "bars" or just be so blunt in their words its no poetic touch to it.

feel how you feel about the blog era rappers in Cole, Krit, Mac Miller, kendrick etc. but they were atleast good poets and had good poetic showings in their music.

its pros and cons tho, because rappers today i feel are more wordplay and punchline savvy compared to prior gen(2000s rivaling them) and are better

Can you list some of these? I just want to be sure you’re not saying this while thinking of rappers like Young Thug, Lil Baby, Trippie Red, Carti, Durk, Lil Baby, DaBaby, and several others

FruitOfTheVale

Superstar
Daps
Unpopular opinion, the majority back in his time were not poetic like that either. It's a handful that were incredibly poetic that made it seem like the era in general was moreso... but in reality, lyrically-speaking, most rappers weren't kicking it too differently than now. The problem with that is that rappers now haven't really evolved lyricism beyond what it was 20 years ago, which is why a lot of the shyt is redundant.

Last edited:

TripleAgent

FBA. ZayK
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
Half these new rappers ain't even emcees

They're from the Nelly linage of melodic yodelling

With that being said Canibus is ass in 2022 but Prime Bis was Neo in the Matrix status
Agreed except Canibus is not ass. In his own world, yes, but he's still better than most. Paired with a good producer and EP, he could kill shyt.

KingsOfKings

π•„π•’π••π•π•šπ•“ π•šπ•€ π•₯𝕙𝕖 𝔾𝕠𝕒π•₯
Daps
Agreed except Canibus is not ass. In his own world, yes, but he's still better than most. Paired with a good producer and EP, he could kill shyt.
Rip the Jacker showed this.
Time Flys with Bronze Nazareth as well.