Can William clay ford kick the bucket already official Detroit Lions 2013-14 season thread

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
Gonna spend top 10 pick money on a clear #2 WR? Look at the roster for a min.
Top 10 pick money ain't what it used to be though. It's moreso making sure you actually get a playmaker in that area if there's one to be had, regardless of position.

*Hulks Up*

got that new coli smell
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The D (where it's so cold)
Thanks to Mayhew genius restructures, Suh is on the books for 21 mil this year. We gotta cut Nate and Delmas just to sign the draft picks and shyt. Forget about any relevant free agents. Our hope is that 5 productive rookies reveal itself draft day .

I don't mind the loss of Burleson especially with the emergence of Jeremy Ross and even Durham I guess but I hope they can keep Delmas. He's no playmaker but he's contributed more at safety than anyone else on the Lions.

eastside313

Superstar
Daps
The offense is the reason for season collapse. The defense is a #1 cb away and Chris Houston returning to form, away from being upper tier. Wouldn't mind another playmaking lb to eventually replace tulluch. If cj mosley is there i wouldn't be mad though. Delmas and quin are solid and dline will only get better. But the offense is embarrassing when cj is not on the field. Not a coincidence that staffords best year was when he had cj, burleson and young all on the field with best, pettigrew and scheffler. Other than CB, Wr is biggest need. And unless dennard or gilbert wow in workouts i dont see them as top 10 picks. Watkins on other side of cj would be ridiculous. Or another 6'5 wr in vincent jackson mold with evans wouldnt be bad. I feel the lions are in position to pick BPA even if its considered a luxury pick.

The defense played well but don't be fooled thinking they as set on that side of the ball outside the corner back position. They got no pass rush and Tulloch is too slow in the middle and Palmer needs to be back in special teams. Delmas is a joke at safety, worst angles and tackling on the defense.

If stafford was any good those same wr you callin bums woulda been part of the #1 offense in the league. Stafford accuracy issues was the problem not Durham and burleson. Watch a accurate qb throw a quick out to a wr and they hit him out front with the ball so he can catch and run. Stafford would hit Durham behind him so he gotta turn around then try to run and the cb is on it by then. Of course he can't get any yac like that.

eastside313

Superstar
Daps
Stafford is the 8th or 9th highest paid qb, that's plenty reasonable for what his skillset, being 25, and what he's done so far. When Kap and Wilson gets paid Stafford won't be in the top 10. Suh being a DT will never be worth a 21 mil cap number. Suh restructured in 2012 to keep backus and tulloch etc and Suh did it again in 2013 to free cap room. Mayhew kept passing the buck to future years to the point where we are fukked. Mayhew gonna pay Suh a deal he will never live up to
Stafford is the highest paid qb in nfl history for the first 5 years of a career.

Knights89

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Exactly, Delmas play and his salary should have him on the way out.

They need several draft like this years if they wish to keep Suh, Staff, and Calvin.

If they go offense with the first pick, fine, would like a safety personally, but a better commiment to the run game is needed.

We got a lot of young corners, and hopefully the new coaches can get more out of them.

*Hulks Up*

got that new coli smell
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The defense played well but don't be fooled thinking they as set on that side of the ball outside the corner back position. They got no pass rush and Tulloch is too slow in the middle and Palmer needs to be back in special teams. Delmas is a joke at safety, worst angles and tackling on the defense.

If stafford was any good those same wr you callin bums woulda been part of the #1 offense in the league. Stafford accuracy issues was the problem not Durham and burleson. Watch a accurate qb throw a quick out to a wr and they hit him out front with the ball so he can catch and run. Stafford would hit Durham behind him so he gotta turn around then try to run and the cb is on it by then. Of course he can't get any yac like that.

Exactly, Delmas play and his salary should have him on the way out.

They need several draft like this years if they wish to keep Suh, Staff, and Calvin.

If they go offense with the first pick, fine, would like a safety personally, but a better commiment to the run game is needed.

We got a lot of young corners, and hopefully the new coaches can get more out of them.

You brehs thought Delmas was that bad? LMAO, dude did blow alot of tackles and alot of times seemed to take out his own teammate on occasions but for the most part he was solid. I didn't realize Delams made 5 milli so yeah, unless he restructures I think he will get that as a FA. He's a vet that the team respects if they can keep his cap number down I think he should stay, he's not the worst of the Lions problems. If they can upgrade safety in the draft,fine, but I'd like Delmas their atleast for teaching and mentoring.

eastside313

Superstar
Daps
You brehs thought Delmas was that bad? LMAO, dude did blow alot of tackles and alot of times seemed to take out his own teammate on occasions but for the most part he was solid. I didn't realize Delams made 5 milli so yeah, unless he restructures I think he will get that as a FA. He's a vet that the team respects if they can keep his cap number down I think he should stay, he's not the worst of the Lions problems. If they can upgrade safety in the draft,fine, but I'd like Delmas their atleast for teaching and mentoring.
Teaching what:pachaha:
Delmas is a bad tackler yeah he occasionally comes up and plays the run Well but he is out of position in the secondary and can't take the correct angle to save his life. Homie is replaceable, just because he's better than spievey don't make him good.

dh86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Stafford is the highest paid qb in nfl history for the first 5 years of a career.

Suh is the highest paid PLAYER in the first 4 years of a career. A hall of fame DT is not worth as much as a highly productive qb. The best DT in the league is averaging 11 mil a yr on his deal. Suh hired Jay Z to get a raise and cripple someone's cap. Hope not ours

dh86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Top 10 pick money ain't what it used to be though. It's moreso making sure you actually get a playmaker in that area if there's one to be had, regardless of position.

The NFL now more than other is about mitigating weaknesses. Can wide receiver be called a weakness as long as Calvin Johnson is in his prime? It's clear cornerback is the number one need and has been for over a decade

*Hulks Up*

got that new coli smell
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Teaching what:pachaha:
Delmas is a bad tackler yeah he occasionally comes up and plays the run Well but he is out of position in the secondary and can't take the correct angle to save his life. Homie is replaceable, just because he's better than spievey don't make him good.

:dead:

I think alot of Delmas bad angle problems are based on him having to much freedom from Cunningham/Schwartz to roam if he sees something sort of like Dre Bly did. I think a new DC will have him more under control and that will decrease his constantly being out of position (and hopefully tackling) he's aggressive and it's working against him, that could be fixed. Plus, if Delmas is cut the safety becomes a major priority when keeping him (hoping at vet minimum) atleast gives them some depth.

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
:dead:

I think alot of Delmas bad angle problems are based on him having to much freedom from Cunningham/Schwartz to roam if he sees something sort of like Dre Bly did. I think a new DC will have him more under control and that will decrease his constantly being out of position (and hopefully tackling) he's aggressive and it's working against him, that could be fixed. Plus, if Delmas is cut the safety becomes a major priority when keeping him (hoping at vet minimum) atleast gives them some depth.
They cannot keep Delmas at that price. He's not good enough to warrant it and they can't afford it.

dh86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Big safety market in free agency. Lions could always bring back delmas or get someone equal if Suh new deal is reasonable. If Suh plays on the 1 yr deal, gotta draft a safety

*Hulks Up*

got that new coli smell
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
They cannot keep Delmas at that price. He's not good enough to warrant it and they can't afford it.
That's true. I thought that if Suh signed a new contract that his money could be stretched out and that would allow them to keep a few guys that otherwise would have to be cut. In all seriousness I don't really expect the Lions to form anything like the Seahawks defense if 3 guys (Suh, Matthew and CJ) are making half the salary cap but that's another problem all togther.

I guess Delmas is good as gone then.:manny:

FaygoMI

All Star
Daps
Suh should get a long term deal and be paid no more than 12-13 million a year....

Delmas must go unless he is cut and resigned.

If Sammy Watkins is there you take him (He won't be there)

Lions had the best draft in the NFL last year and Slay looked good once we went to man coverage.

Once Suh is resigned you take your cap room and pay for a corner OR a receiver and draft the other.