Can William clay ford kick the bucket already official Detroit Lions 2013-14 season thread

iceberg_is_on_fire

Honolulu Blue Ski Mask Way
Daps
Reppin
Lombardi Trophies in Allen Park
A team playing with young, undrafted wide receivers (Kearse/Baldwin), DBs taken in the 5th round (Sherman/Chancellor), a quarterback taken 75th overall, and Cliff Avril just won the Super Bowl by dominating the no. 1 offense and scoring 43 points. :unsure:

Would it be too crazy to consider giving Calvin and/or Suh the :camby: for a load of picks, so we can build the secondary up and find young, serviceable receivers? :patrice:

WIlson had first round talent, only reason he didn't get picked is because of height. Lions are constructed wrong and I fully maintain that fact until they A) Get rid of Stafford or B) Get pieces around him to make him a game manager. Matthew Stafford will never be the reason we make it to the Super Bowl. Can you imagine Stafford with that pass rush tonight? At least two TAINTs.

eastside313

Superstar
Daps
I know one thing the lions need to draft damn near all defense. If you need a top 10 wr next to the best wr in the game then your team is doomed anyway.

iceberg_is_on_fire

Daps
Reppin
I know one thing the lions need to draft damn near all defense. If you need a top 10 wr next to the best wr in the game then your team is doomed anyway.

I looked at the Bleacher Report draft preview of what we should take. I couldn't go further than the first round. They were suggesting that we take a WR from Clemson. I closed the tab. It was too early to read fukkery.

eastside313

Superstar
Daps
I looked at the Bleacher Report draft preview of what we should take. I couldn't go further than the first round. They were suggesting that we take a WR from Clemson. I closed the tab. It was too early to read fukkery.
You look at the best teams and they all got versatile play making linebackers and safeties. We havent had a safety since bennie blades and levy played well this year but the other 2 can :camby:

Avril out there hounding the qb dont gotta worry about the run game cause they got linebackers thats gonna swallow that shyt up.:damn:

djthegreat88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Flint, MI
The offense is the reason for season collapse. The defense is a #1 cb away and Chris Houston returning to form, away from being upper tier. Wouldn't mind another playmaking lb to eventually replace tulluch. If cj mosley is there i wouldn't be mad though. Delmas and quin are solid and dline will only get better. But the offense is embarrassing when cj is not on the field. Not a coincidence that staffords best year was when he had cj, burleson and young all on the field with best, pettigrew and scheffler. Other than CB, Wr is biggest need. And unless dennard or gilbert wow in workouts i dont see them as top 10 picks. Watkins on other side of cj would be ridiculous. Or another 6'5 wr in vincent jackson mold with evans wouldnt be bad. I feel the lions are in position to pick BPA even if its considered a luxury pick.

iceberg_is_on_fire

Daps
Reppin
You look at the best teams and they all got versatile play making linebackers and safeties. We havent had a safety since bennie blades and levy played well this year but the other 2 can :camby:

Avril out there hounding the qb dont gotta worry about the run game cause they got linebackers thats gonna swallow that shyt up.:damn:

Bennie Blades/Ray Crockett days. I know. The thing about the Seahawks defense that gets to me is that they didn't outscheme Denver, they just beat them up. Our d-line is physical but do we really get push like the Seahawks front four? Peyton was in the backfield looking like MC Hammer most of the game. They made Peyton look ordinary because he didn't have any pre-snap reads, it was basically man on man all game long.

iceberg_is_on_fire

Daps
Reppin
The offense is the reason for season collapse. The defense is a #1 cb away and Chris Houston returning to form, away from being upper tier. Wouldn't mind another playmaking lb to eventually replace tulluch. If cj Mosley is there i wouldn't be mad. Delmas and quin are solid and dline will only get better. But the offense is embarrassing when cj is not on the field. Not a coincidence that staffords best year was when he had cj, burleson and young all on the field with best, pettigrew and scheffler. Other than CB, Wr is biggest need. And unless dennard or gilbert wow in workouts i dont see them as top 10 picks. Watkins on other side of cj would be ridiculous. Or another 6'5 wr in vincent jackson mold with evans wouldnt be bad. I feel the lions are in position to pick BPA even if its considered a luxury pick.

Breh, he threw for 4600 last year and we are saying that Stafford needs more help? I have to respectfully disagree but we need some defense.

djthegreat88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Flint, MI
Breh, he threw for 4600 last year and we are saying that Stafford needs more help? I have to respectfully disagree but we need some defense.
I could care less about staffords hollow passing yards. When you throw as much as the lions do in todays pass friendly league and always playing from behind, he is going to get yards. Outside of cj, wr position is joke. Burleson is old, durham, ross, ogletree are #4 wr on good teams at best and no telling what will happen with broyles.

If there is a potential Luke kuechly like lb available or dennard shows he has nfl speed, i have no problem going defense. But knowing what i know now, i would take best wr available.

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps

That's the key. They got hitmen at the safety and lb position. nikkas out there laying the wood and they don't miss tackles. Big plays are minimized cause once one of them get they hands on a player it's a wrap. We don't have that kind of sure tackling here.

Also, in fairness to Avril's performance, they were up so big that Denver running the ball wasn't a threat, so he got to do what he does best pretty much the whole game, just attack the qb. It also speaks to their depth, as Avril is a situational pass rusher off the bench, where as he was our full time starter and best end. I'm hoping this new coaching regime does a much better job of developing talent on the roster to build that kind of depth on both sides of the ball.

iceberg_is_on_fire

Daps
Reppin
I could care less about staffords hollow passing yards. When you throw as much as the lions do in todays pass friendly league and always playing from behind, he is going to get yards. Outside of cj, wr position is joke. Burleson is old, durham, ross, ogletree are #4 wr on good teams at best and no telling what will happen with broyles.

If there is a potential Luke kuechly like lb available or dennard shows he has nfl speed, i have no problem going defense. But knowing what i know now, i would take best wr available.

Breh, I know that they are hollow, you are preaching to the choir on that one. However, it leads to a bigger point and that is Stafford's salary. It hamstrings us in a big way. With that said, you can't be paid that much money and still need more help to shore up your QB deficiencies. That shows that we have far bigger issues.

dh86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Thanks to Mayhew genius restructures, Suh is on the books for 21 mil this year. We gotta cut Nate and Delmas just to sign the draft picks and shyt. Forget about any relevant free agents. Our hope is that 5 productive rookies reveal itself draft day .

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
Thanks to Mayhew genius restructures, Suh is on the books for 21 mil this year. We gotta cut Nate and Delmas just to sign the draft picks and shyt. Forget about any relevant free agents. Our hope is that 5 productive rookies reveal itself draft day .
I'm not gonna pretend to understand the nfl salary cap and restructuring of deals to continue to be under it, so I'm not willing to throw Mayhew under the bus for that one. I think just about any fan would be lying if they said they did get it. The bigger problem is the fact that we were so routinely shytty that we had to draft top 2-3 picks on a regular basis during the time when rookies were getting retarded ass contracts, and then 2 of those players turned out to be studs (obviously not Stafford) who we needed to continue to pay that way to retain them. Stafford is the elephant in the room who's pay isn't equal to his production. The team isn't fukked, but they need to have another draft or 2 like last years and Stafford needs to improve in order for this team to have any type of sustained success. Don't really think there will be much opportunity to improve through free agency. But then again, I'm not cap expert and have seen many teams magically come up with space to sign players when everybody said it was impossible.:yeshrug:

dh86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
I'm not gonna pretend to understand the nfl salary cap and restructuring of deals to continue to be under it, so I'm not willing to throw Mayhew under the bus for that one. I think just about any fan would be lying if they said they did get it. The bigger problem is the fact that we were so routinely shytty that we had to draft top 2-3 picks on a regular basis during the time when rookies were getting retarded ass contracts, and then 2 of those players turned out to be studs (obviously not Stafford) who we needed to continue to pay that way to retain them. Stafford is the elephant in the room who's pay isn't equal to his production. The team isn't fukked, but they need to have another draft or 2 like last years and Stafford needs to improve in order for this team to have any type of sustained success. Don't really think there will be much opportunity to improve through free agency. But then again, I'm not cap expert and have seen many teams magically come up with space to sign players when everybody said it was impossible.:yeshrug:

Stafford is the 8th or 9th highest paid qb, that's plenty reasonable for what his skillset, being 25, and what he's done so far. When Kap and Wilson gets paid Stafford won't be in the top 10. Suh being a DT will never be worth a 21 mil cap number. Suh restructured in 2012 to keep backus and tulloch etc and Suh did it again in 2013 to free cap room. Mayhew kept passing the buck to future years to the point where we are fukked. Mayhew gonna pay Suh a deal he will never live up to

dh86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Detroit

Gonna spend top 10 pick money on a clear #2 WR? Look at the roster for a min.

manyfaces

Superstar
Daps
Stafford is the 8th or 9th highest paid qb, that's plenty reasonable for what his skillset, being 25, and what he's done so far. When Kap and Wilson gets paid Stafford won't be in the top 10. Suh being a DT will never be worth a 21 mil cap number. Suh restructured in 2012 to keep backus and tulloch etc and Suh did it again in 2013 to free cap room. Mayhew kept passing the buck to future years to the point where we are fukked. Mayhew gonna pay Suh a deal he will never live up to
Without me looking, with the the exception of Romo, and I guess now Cutler, I bet all the players ahead of Stafford have either won or either led their team to a superbowl. Hell, at least won a playoff game. Again, I don't know enough about cap maneuverability to shyt on him for that. Like what were the alternatives? I'm not saying it was all they could do, but I'd like to be educated on the cap and the alternatives if you understand it. And the contract Suh received as rookie was absurd by itself, but that was the nature of the rookie landscape then. Wasn't shyt they could do about that. I'm hoping the next contract would be more along the lines of what Atkins got from Cincy, maybe a lil more, but in that range.