can we agree that John Calipari and Roy Williams are not good coaches?

Reggie

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Virginia
Roy is still a great coach. What more do you want from a man who lost four first round picks last year. He still got UNC to the tourney. And next year they will be right back in the top ten. In 2006 he led them to the second round after losing Felton McCants and May. And then in 2010 they were NIT runner-ups after losing three more first round picks. I think that is the epitome of a good coach right there.

NV-ME

Make It Hot-ta
Daps
Reppin
FiyaStarter
Roy is still a great coach. What more do you want from a man who lost four first round picks last year. He still got UNC to the tourney. And next year they will be right back in the top ten. In 2006 he led them to the second round after losing Felton McCants and May. And then in 2010 they were NIT runner-ups after losing three more first round picks. I think that is the epitome of a good coach right there.

the 2010 NIT was the reload for roy haters that had lost all steam from their 1) cant win a title, then 2) cant win a title w/ his own players campaigns. this year's NIT was gonna solidify the reup, but it just didnt work out that way.

anyway, comparing him to cal when you look at wins the guys he's gotten to the league that have had long careers, its a joke.

aceboon

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
oh, niggs still tryna hold on to that shyt w/ roy after he switched the lineup? cool.

if anything, after everyone left this team for dead (*NIT) in jan and he switched his whole strategy whereas some coaches would never do that, its proven how good of a coach he is.

plus

It took him quite a while to figure out what his best lineup was tho, yea he gets credit for adjusting but it shouldn't have taken him that long when it was obvious playing another big together with JMM wasn't best for the team. Same thing with him taking so long to figure out Marshall was better than Drew a couple years ago.

Gravity

Banned
Daps
And I won't take those two titles away from him. UNC 05 was the best team in college ball that year. UNC 09 was a group of upperclassmen staying around long enough to develop their game further and make a legit run at a national title. Roy did great with those two teams.

Doesn't change the fact that he never actually won shyt at Kansas. Or my opinion, that he's on the lower tier of "elite" coaches. If he doesn't leave for UNC I think at most he wins one title.
You can't take them away, that's was the point. Your opinion is your opinion but like you said, you expected him to hold NC back from titles. So that should tell you how much weight that your opinion holds. Like I said, the man has 2 in like 10-11 years at unc while K has 4 in 30+ years at dook.

NV-ME

Make It Hot-ta
Daps
Reppin
FiyaStarter
It took him quite a while to figure out what his best lineup was tho, yea he gets credit for adjusting but it shouldn't have taken him that long when it was obvious playing another big together with JMM wasn't best for the team. Same thing with him taking so long to figure out Marshall was better than Drew a couple years ago.

ehhh. my biggest criticism of him this year is waiting so long to put pj in the starting lineup. going to 4 guards might have been late for some, but if you go through the summer and fall preparing for one style. you atleast wanna give it a fair go w/ so many young & inexperienced pieces. they got a big win vs. unlv w/ that old lineup...

drew/marshall. yeah, he shoulda been did that. im just saying that b/c i hated drew, but he eventually made the move around the same time as this year.

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps
I doubt there are many UNC fans that think Roy is a bad coach, particularly after the Matt Doherty disaster. Roy has as many national titles as Dean Smith too. :ehh:

NV-ME

Make It Hot-ta
Daps
Reppin
FiyaStarter
I doubt there are many UNC fans that think Roy is a bad coach, particularly after the Matt Doherty disaster. Roy has as many national titles as Dean Smith too. :ehh:

you underestimate the absurd fan gene that unc supporters have just like any other program. i know two heels fans that dont even know each other and dead ass wanted brad stevens back in dec, ready to throw roy in the bushes. thank god this knee jerk reactionary-social media-spoiled fukkeryness wasnt around when dean was coaching. this thread woulda been about him.

Carlos Huerta

Just keep my rep red
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Look at the team Calipari took within a within one missed FT of the national title game in memphis, and tell me that dude is a bad coach.

I know @track 1 is trolling, but there are a lot of people who think Calipari only works with very talented teams. Thats not anywhere near the truth. Its not like his UMass teams were bustling with top notch NBA players either.

LOL @ "they only win with great players".. like the rest of the coaches are out there killing it with high school scrubs. :snoop:

Last edited by a moderator:

Frump

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Cals is not a very good ocach

That dirty oily haired mafioso tied ginny is ruining our sport :pacspit: