can we agree that John Calipari and Roy Williams are not good coaches?

CarolinaKing

The Carolina Blueprint
Daps
Reppin
NC
FreedS[ohh]lave;3613440 said:
Ive always said that..its how the players skill level/size/positon/ translates to the pros it has little to do with the coach

People just try to use it against coaches they dont like

They use it with Coach K the most as if he is getting all potential nba superstars that hes ruining :childplease:

They also use it to prop up a coach they do like, i.e., John Calipari.

Champ_KW

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
And Joe Torre has more jewelry than Earl Weaver. And K.C. Jones has more jewelry than Tom Thibbodeau. And Steve Fisher and Jim Harrick both have more jewelry than Rick Majerus, Brad Stevens, Bo Ryan, and Gene Keady combined.

Steve Lavin: During Lavin’s tenure as head coach, the Bruins qualified for six consecutive NCAA Tournaments (1997–2002). During this period, Lavin became one of two coaches (along with Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski) to have led his team to five NCAA Sweet 16s in six seasons. Lavin’s record in the first and second rounds of the NCAA tournament is 10–1. His winning percentage (90.9%) in the first two rounds is second only to Dean Smith in NCAA Tournament history.

I played ball at a high level and I watch it at a high level of understanding. I gives a fukk about "jewelry." I watch basketball and process what I see on the court, period. Joe Torre is no Earl Weaver, jewelry aside. And Roy Williams is not some dynamic, brilliant coach because he took great talent to Final Fours, no more so than he is a shytty coach because he has lost with great talent (a lot, to much worse fukking teams). The good goes with the bad. He's an okay coach. Show me a year he had a team like that Kemba Walker UConn team and took them somewhere significant? Roy isn't a top 10 coach to me, not even close.

:manny:

Man, stfu with this cliche debate lingo. I haven't "moved the goalpost." My point has been the same each post. Judging coaches of stacked teams by the talent winning out is outright fukking stupid.

I'm a Carolina fan, but Coach K is such a superior coach to Roy that it's not worth discussing. Coach Gut took Carolina on deep tourney runs... was it because he was a top coach, or did he have teams that needed him to just not trip over himself (which he eventually did)?

You are moving the goal post. Judge Izzo, Shaka, Brad, Majerus, etc by there successes....but judge Roy by his rare failures (damn near .800 career win %, 2nd or 3rd fastest to 700 eventually, 2 rings, etc). Even your comprehension sucks. Nobody said Roy was better than K, but you chose to argue that...when all I said was even somebody as great as K can be nitpicked apart. This thread isn't about whether Roy is the greatest coach ever....its about him being bad, which he isn't. Since 2000, UNC has 2 ships and lost in the tourney 7 times to eventual Final Four or Champion team. Where's the basis for his "losing toway worse teams"? Oh that's right...forget a decade of superb coaching jobs and lets highlight the few failures that most coaches go thru when dealing with 18-21 year olds.

Walt

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
You are moving the goal post.

You clearly don't know what this cliche means.

Judge Izzo, Shaka, Brad, Majerus, etc by there successes....but judge Roy by his rare failures (damn near .800 career win %, 2nd or 3rd fastest to 700 eventually, 2 rings, etc).

No, I'm judging them by what they do with the talent they have. Brad Stevens taking Butler to back-to-back Chips, for instance, is more impressive than Tark's UNLV run, despite Tark being the coach with a ring. Bill Guthridge took Carolina to two Final Fours in 3 seasons, won a coach of the year award... and no one is retarded enough to think he was one of the best coaches going. In fact, the Weber State and Utah losses are two of the most painful in Carolina history. Though his second Final Four run came as a #8 seed.

With Gut you can - and have to - ask whether he coached the shyt out of that first Final Four team, or her just inherited a team destined for greatness. You have to ask if the Weber St. loss is as much a blemish as the Final Four run the following year is a badge of excellence. You have to ask whether the second Final Four run proved they underachieved in the regular season. You have to fukking contextualize, judge based on plays out of timeouts, adjustments in games, how well players were utilized... basic fukking shyt. Only a moron says something like "Joe Torre/K.C. Jones/Jim Harrick" are clearly above reproach because they had success with good teams.

Even your comprehension sucks.

This would be like Andrew Bynum telling me my haircut sucks. Thanks.

Where's the basis for his "losing toway worse teams"?

The loss to Georgetown was terrible. The loss to Kansas was terrible. So many losses at Kansas were terrible. Atrocious. I'm talking tourney losses. Teams stacked with pros.

The blowout losses this year are terrible. The mark of a poorly coached team. The NIT season was all time disgraceful, regardless of whatever spin anyone wants to put on it.

Oh that's right...forget a decade of superb coaching jobs and lets highlight the few failures that most coaches go thru when dealing with 18-21 year olds.

This 18-21 talking point is retarded, and gets no less retarded by you continuing to repeat it. Oh my God! 18-21 year olds! Who can control them? How can they be coached? Who can possibly predict the play of 18-21 year olds against... other 18-21 year olds? You get paid millions to coach the best 18-21 year old recruits in the nation? Well, you get a pass - because they are so young, so crazy! Let us pray for the high school coaches who deal with - GASP - 14-17 year olds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can anyone evaluate good coaching when the children are so young, so volatile, so confused?????

:jackeenikkaplease:

Roy took two squads with NBA talent everywhere on the fukking court to chips. Like I said, Joe Torre isn't in my top 5 baseball managers of all time, and Roy ain't in my top 10 college bball coaches. To judge coaching by winning % when you have significant built-in advantages is so obtuse it's not worth regarding. Carry on though.

Champ_KW

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You clearly don't know what this cliche means.

No, I'm judging them by what they do with the talent they have. Brad Stevens taking Butler to back-to-back Chips, for instance, is more impressive than Tark's UNLV run, despite Tark being the coach with a ring. Bill Guthridge took Carolina to two Final Fours in 3 seasons, won a coach of the year award... and no one is retarded enough to think he was one of the best coaches going. In fact, the Weber State and Utah losses are two of the most painful in Carolina history. Though his second Final Four run came as a #8 seed.

With Gut you can - and have to - ask whether he coached the shyt out of that first Final Four team, or her just inherited a team destined for greatness. You have to ask if the Weber St. loss is as much a blemish as the Final Four run the following year is a badge of excellence. You have to ask whether the second Final Four run proved they underachieved in the regular season. You have to fukking contextualize, judge based on plays out of timeouts, adjustments in games, how well players were utilized... basic fukking shyt. Only a moron says something like "Joe Torre/K.C. Jones/Jim Harrick" are clearly above reproach because they had success with good teams.

This would be like Andrew Bynum telling me my haircut sucks. Thanks.

The loss to Georgetown was terrible. The loss to Kansas was terrible. So many losses at Kansas were terrible. Atrocious. I'm talking tourney losses. Teams stacked with pros.

The blowout losses this year are terrible. The mark of a poorly coached team. The NIT season was all time disgraceful, regardless of whatever spin anyone wants to put on it.

This 18-21 talking point is retarded, and gets no less retarded by you continuing to repeat it. Oh my God! 18-21 year olds! Who can control them? How can they be coached? Who can possibly predict the play of 18-21 year olds against... other 18-21 year olds? You get paid millions to coach the best 18-21 year old recruits in the nation? Well, you get a pass - because they are so young, so crazy! Let us pray for the high school coaches who deal with - GASP - 14-17 year olds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can anyone evaluate good coaching when the children are so young, so volatile, so confused?????

:jackeenikkaplease:

Roy took two squads with NBA talent everywhere on the fukking court to chips. Like I said, Joe Torre isn't in my top 5 baseball managers of all time, and Roy ain't in my top 10 college bball coaches. To judge coaching by winning % when you have significant built-in advantages is so obtuse it's not worth regarding. Carry on though.

You saying a lot without saying nothing. Everybody has NBA talent. You still running around giving props to Brad for cinderella runs. Contexualize him getting caught with his pants down all season in the A-10 this year then. Your baseball analogy sucks. UNC are the Yankees now? The last 10 years they've only had one class ranked #1 by Rivals. Three years they didn't even rank in the top 20. Their avg ranking from the last decade is #1 1. But they're the Yankees? Two chips outta a decade where you ranked 11th in recruiting? But he's avg....you're a clown. And you proved my point....you dig past all the good to harp on Weber St. Thats like clowning K for Lehigh. Pointless. I'm sure you played ball at a "high" level but you're condescending approach is flawed. And since you don't know what "moving the goal post" is, read your responses....we got a Joe Torre shout out, Steve Lavin, K.C. Jones, and a Bill Guthridge tirade.....all to say what? You're going outta your way to sound like you see the game different when you just embarrassed yourself. What Roy accomplishes with the players he get is right on par.

Da_Eggman

Can't trust every face you gotta watch em
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So-Fla
^^ this cornball is by far the worst poster in the Coli. Not only is he dumb, he really really works hard at it daily.

Homie your opinion is so meaningless that I take can'tstop more serious than you :birdman: