can someone explain to me why fubu flopped?

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
It has been covered, but urban fashion comes and goes in waves, especially since our population is small relative to other demographics.

If you want to worry about where your next check is coming from, limit your brand to 11-14% of the population, if it is even able to go national.

The brands that have longevity can be put on at any time and mix with vintage and contemporary fashion wear.

I have a closet with a fex Avirex jackets and Steve Madden hoodies from when I was a kid. Wouldn't wear that clown shyt today, big ass

lettering and such. Fubu fell to the wayside because Black folks weren't on that wave anymore. I think it gets more play in Japan now

than in the USA. 99% of Urban fashion is trash.
the GOAT jackets... can't even wear them no more cause our entire black community will be on some :scust: you still wearing that

and people wonder why you should never make an urban brand... you can have the most beautiful shyt in the world... soon as you're "played out" it's over

JahBuhLun

Graphic Alchemist
Daps
People forgot when LL wore a FB hat while saying "for us, by us, but on the low" in a GAP commercial. :wow: Best example of subterfuge marketing I had seen. There's probably been more examples since then. That just stuck out.

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Sh!t was just too urban IMO.

You cant wear FUBU and be low-key. Sh!t was made for the urban/hiphop glitz :scust:
I'm low-key and dont like to attract attention to myself in public around people i dont know. Wearing FUBU and their huge ass logos and sh!t was way too LOUD

Last edited:

At30wecashout

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
the GOAT jackets... can't even wear them no more cause our entire black community will be on some :scust: you still wearing that

and people wonder why you should never make an urban brand... you can have the most beautiful shyt in the world... soon as you're "played out" it's over
Breh, I got a closet full of old shyt like that. They fit me to this day because of course, a lot of urban fashion was built to be too damned big. I wouldn't
wear them today, not because of people clowning me (im damn near 30, dont care about that), but because it looks bad. I been wearing shyt like

hugo-boss-grey-pattern-shawl-collar-knit-product-2-3221680-554565873_large_flex.jpeg
With a pair of Supra Henry in this color
Getting mad compliments and question about my gear, including a couple chicks tugging on my shyt. Urban wear doesn't look good on anyone. Black designers want to come up?
Stop pandering to the hip hop bullshyt. Those come and go with whatever was hot on the internet for that season, and the market
dries up and goes to the next brand. When you make your shyt good for all seasons, and multiple occasions, you look good 24/7.

I end up spending a grip every now and then for my stuff, but not nearly as much on some corny fair-weather fashion.

When the spring comes, back to polos and
:banderas:
I tell people, be dressed as if you are going to a casual interview. You will be ready for anything. Fubu played itself when tastes changed.
On that note, Avirex jackets:wow:Have you burning up even when its -20 degrees out.

VladTheImpaler

The Sensational Prince
Daps
Reppin
The Palace of Eternal Sun
just wondering.

some say because they didnt keep up with the fashion evolution, but Pelle Pelle did, and they flopped too.

what happened?

why is it uncool to wear rocawear and fubu ?
:what: did this beta say flopped? Fufu was one of the highest grossing clothing lines for years.

Only on the Coli does that constitute a flop.

:snoop:

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
For what it was FUBU came out and them cats got they money.

Hell one of the founders is on Shark Tank breh. Dude is on his Venture Capitalist steez....that the shyt that creates wealth...not JUST a clothing line.

christinasade

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NULL
cause nikkas switch it up every year... for no good damn reason..

everything "urban" style, will never last. it's funny cause i just posted this exact same thing on fb timeline.. i own a clothing line.. our first designer wanted it to be urban... black everything.. one of my black partners was like "nah you better whiten this shyt up if you wanna be around longer than 5 years"

so he was mad.... left to start his own shyt... we started to diversify our models and looks... we now doing better than ever before... and he ain't sold but maybe 3 shirts...

1. black people ain't rocking your shyt unless it's nationally known and popular already

2. black people stop rocking your shyt after everybody and their mama is copping from marshall's for 70% off

it's always cool to say "yea nikka i got this new shyt first.. fresh new gear" then "awww you still wearing that shyt, that shyt dead now"

AND WHEN HE SAYS NATIONALLY, HE MEAMS WHITE PEOPLE

CAUSE YALL KNOW WE CAN'T DO shyt WITHOUT WHITE PEOPLE'S APPROVAL.

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
AND WHEN HE SAYS NATIONALLY, HE MEAMS WHITE PEOPLE

CAUSE YALL KNOW WE CAN'T DO shyt WITHOUT WHITE PEOPLE'S APPROVAL.
i actually meant famous people... you see jay-z in some shyt, you ready to cop it... even tho it's been in the store for 3 years, and you wasn't even looking twice at it

that happens way more than seeing some white guy

take gino green for example... avirex... fubu... those lines didn't blow up till rappers were wearing them and all the sudden they had to be had.... then rappers stopped wearing them and it was "oh that shyt is wack now"

Lost His Smile

Stop Existing.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The 12th Dimension
I remember a girl in middle school wanted to wear my FUBU hoodie but I was like "nah".

I didn't want to be cold during the school day.