Can someone explain Drake's thought process behind the Whitney, Dave Free and Top Dawg angles?

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
This the shyt they're using to say she was having a cry for help. That just reads like a woman going through a breakup and finally getting therapy. Also could be about her struggling to know who she is due to being in the shadow of Kendrick for so long and not feeling like her own person.

This was one of the pictures I seen floating that week. No indication of abuse, but it definitely tells you their relationship was in shambles.

Either way, this is all chatty patty speculation at this point.

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
This was one of the pictures I seen floating that week. No indication of abuse, but it definitely tells you their relationship was in shambles.

Either way, this is all chatty patty speculation at this point.
I mean, all you had to do was listen to Mr. Morale to know their relationship was in horrible shape at points, that post is completely consistent with that. That's part of why Drake's angles with the "You cheated on her with white bytches!" shyt didn't land, because Kendrick already put all that out there in his music and was critical of himself for it. We talk about Drake trying to 8-Mile himself throughout the beef but Kendrick actually did that and the funniest part was that wasn't even the intention; it's just that one guy is self-aware and self-reflective while the other guy is a deflective narcissist.

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It aint rocket science. He was thinking he had that shyt in the bag and if it was somebody other than Kendrick he woulda. He obviously had no idea what Ken had on deck or how masterfully he was gonna play it. fukkin Future or Ross or whoever aint doin that shyt. Nobody cares about facts or what can be verified :mjlol:. It aint a court proceeding or a debate either. Its a rap battle. Its all about getting the most :ooh: :ohhh: :krs: from the crowd. Drake had that...for 30 minutes :russ:

Ken took the shyt. We cant do revisionist history like Drake made all these missteps. No he just got out done by a superior :manny:

CoolinInTheCut

Superstar
Daps
I mean, all you had to do was listen to Mr. Morale to know their relationship was in horrible shape at points, that post is completely consistent with that. That's part of why Drake's angles with the "You cheated on her with white bytches!" shyt didn't land, because Kendrick already put all that out there in his music and was critical of himself for it. We talk about Drake trying to 8-Mile himself throughout the beef but Kendrick actually did that and the funniest part was that wasn't even the intention; it's just that one guy is self-aware and self-reflective while the other guy is a deflective narcissist.

I think people didn't care because Kendrick is more beloved by people and the industry, and Drake has become too big and cocky to where people want to see him lose.

All that 8 mile getting ahead of the bullet shyt only works when people are on the same level, otherwise it's almost always going to be a popularity contest when it comes to credibility. Obviously Drakes own (lack of) credibility doesn't help here.

That's why all that nuance and critical thinking disappeared when it came to dissecting Kendrick's bars, but everyone highlighted Drake's Mother I Sober mistake. Both parties made mistakes, and had some low hanging fruit & glass house disses, but one was scrutinized far more than the other. The burden of proof almost always resided with Drake too.

Last edited:

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I mean, we knew the relationship was in shambles. MMTBS was about his struggles, him discussing trauma that's led to him doing shyt that was fukking up the relationship and how she was the one to push him to get help, seek therapy. Whitney is the 2nd voice we hear on the album saying "Tell them the truth"

OVhoes on some Dhalsim shyt taking a quote like that and turning it into her getting her ass beat.

FunkDoc1112

Heavily Armed
Daps
Reppin
The 718
I think people didn't care because Kendrick is more beloved by people and the industry, and Drake has become too big and cocky to where people want to see him lose.

All that 8 mile getting ahead of the bullet shyt only works when people are on the same level, otherwise it's almost always going to be a popularity contest when it comes to credibility. Obviously Drakes own (lack of) credibility doesn't help here.

That's why all that nuance and critical thinking disappeared when it came to dissecting Kendrick's bars, but everyone highlighted Drake's Mother I Sober mistake. Both parties made mistakes, and had some low hanging fruit & glass house disses, but one was scrutinized far more than the other. The burden of proof almost always resided with Drake too.
There is a difference though - Kendrick putting his shortcomings out there was on some, "Wow, I was really fukking up out here." Like the white bytches stuff comes from a song where Kendrick essentially said, "I was cheating on my wife with so many white women that I literally had to go therapy." When Drake puts his flaws out there intentionally it's an attempt to downplay or deflect them and get in front of the issue, or it's just unintentional results from his lack of self awareness

When Drake did the "Tell them how I like young girls" shyt it didn't work because like...that's very concerning behavior and there was smoke to the fire. You can't get in front of pedo accusations. It's not like 8 Mile or Kendrick's infidelity where it was just personal L's.

Last edited:

Bigblackted4

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Eastcleveland
It aint rocket science. He was thinking he had that shyt in the bag and if it was somebody other than Kendrick he woulda. He obviously had no idea what Ken had on deck or how masterfully he was gonna play it. fukkin Future or Ross or whoever aint doin that shyt. Nobody cares about facts or what can be verified :mjlol:. It aint a court proceeding or a debate either. Its a rap battle. Its all about getting the most :ooh: :ohhh: :krs: from the crowd. Drake had that...for 30 minutes :russ:

Ken took the shyt. We cant do revisionist history like Drake made all these missteps. No he just got out done by a superior :manny:
Said this since meet the grahams. Aubrey was Barkley going up against Jordan in the finals or Bron and Kyrie going up against the Durant Warriors. You can put up a top 15 performance in finals history but you just got beat by the better man.

FTBS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
There is a difference though - Kendrick putting his shortcomings out there was on some, "Wow, I was really fukking up out here." Like the white bytches stuff comes from a song where Kendrick essentially said, "I was cheating on my wife with so many white women that I literally had to go therapy." When Drake puts his flaws out there intentionally it's an attempt to downplay or deflect them and get in front of the issue, or it's just unintentional results from his lack of self awareness

When Drake did the "Tell them how I like young girls" shyt it didn't work because like...that's very concerning behavior and there was smoke to the fire. You can't get in front of pedo accusations. It's not like 8 Mile or Kendrick's infidelity where it was just personal L's.
It didn't work because Ken dropped the bop of the summer not because people genuinely care about dudes fukkin teenage or even underage girls. Half the nikkas on that stage probably popped a young broad. The shyt wit Drake and young broads been out there but no one cared until Ken said "a minooooooooor".

People want to make stuff bigger than what it is or apply deeper meaning to pretty surface level shyt. Ken outrapped him (surprise, surprise), outstrategized him, then dropped a banger (actual surpise) to finish him off. No more, no less.

Knucklehead

HMFIC
Daps
Reppin
Montreal #byrdgang
Said this since meet the grahams. Aubrey was Barkley going up against Jordan in the finals or Bron and Kyrie going up against the Durant Warriors. You can put up a top 15 performance in finals history but you just got beat by the better man.
Drake is more Bradley Beal or Tobias Harris status compared to Kendrick. Huge contract but none of the acclaim.