Can anyone recommend other science fiction RPGs?

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
He said something about where his choices have impact. Sounds more like Dues Ex Machina is up his alley.
I mean, Shadowrun's definitely got that in Dragonfall and HK - even if they're a bit more episodic a times. Can't go wrong with either.

I may actually replay Deus Ex while waiting for Tales to come out.

I was kinda hyped for Encased, but unless they make substantial changes between now and the 'real' release, I wouldn't recommend it.

The Mad Titan

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
^^^

nah it doesn’t have to be like ME1-3 per se

I realize that’s pretty much in a class of its own at this point

just interested in any sci-fi RPG with a decent story where your choices have some impact
Does age matter?

If not

Any of the star oceans (second story was the truth)

Cosmic heroine

Xenogears and saga.

Outriders too actually low key

Wasteland 3

The outer world

Desus ex human revolution

edit: nvm on a few of these, I probably should have read the full 1st post. But over all, all of these are a good sci fi rpg experience.

If you haven't tried wasteland 3 it sounds like what you might be looking for. It's a bit more post apocalyptic but its easily one of my fav recent sci fi RPGS.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Wasteland 3 is good but again your main characters, outside of the recruitable ones don’t have any story or personality. You have to kind of outfit them with whatever you want them to say and act like

Thats kind of the real difference between the AAA pseudo-rpgs and the crpgs. Thats why i love divinity because you can just use the characters they already have story for and customize them to your liking so you get best of both worlds.

I think the only way you’re really gonna scratch the mass effect itch is to wait for starfield and even then Bethesda games don’t really do character stories that well either.

KoTOR feels the most like mass effect in terms of structure, plot, characters, which is why I think mass effect even exist in the first place. It’s just the gameplay and the graphics are incredibly dated, if you can get past that its the closest thing to Mass Effect you can get.

There were rumors they were remaking it, i wonder whats going on with that. Disney probably axed it

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
I Been searching for more of these types of games since I first finished fallout 4. I actually didn’t like new Vegas after playing 4 the gameplay was too outdated and it was a lot slower.
Dragons dogma is aiight good gameplay but there is a ton of walking. And it felt tedious going from one town to the next but It’s in the Skyrim vein of environment

dragon age inquisition was great back in 2013 not sure how well it holds today

xenoblade chronicals is good, not really choice driven tho

honestly I’m just naming games I was able to get invested in after discovering fallout and Skyrim. I too like the Bethesda and BioWare style of rpg over everything and I’m starting to realize they are a class of there own. I even got the outer worlds thinking it was going to scratch that itch and it just wasn’t that great to me. I would say it’s time to venture out and try some of the more traditional rpgs

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
I Been searching for more of these types of games since I first finished fallout 4. I actually didn’t like new Vegas after playing 4 the gameplay was too outdated and it was a lot slower.
Dragons dogma is aiight good gameplay but there is a ton of walking. And it felt tedious going from one town to the next but It’s in the Skyrim vein of environment

honestly I’m just naming games I was able to get invested in after discovering fallout and Skyrim. I too like the Bethesda and BioWare style of rpg over everything and I’m starting to realize they are a class of there own. I even got the outer worlds thinking it was going to scratch that itch and it just wasn’t that great to me. I would say it’s time to venture out and try some of the more traditional rpgs

Y’all gotta start playing crpgs if you want choice based systems.

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
What’s a crpg? I know western, mmo and j. Never heard of c lol

Crpgs are mostly western, more deeply rooted in table top/pen and paper style role playing games. C stands for Computer. They are usually isometric, turn based, feature a lot of RNG, dialogue heavy, and offer complete player freedom. It’s where BioWare rpgs and current day Bethesda rpgs are born from, they are like CRPG lite games made for a more casual audience.

If you feel like you can’t get your choice based-rpg fix from anything else after playing fallout, Skyrim, mass effect, then you gotta move onto crpgs.

• Divinity original sin 1 &2
  • Pillars of Eternity 1 & 2
  • Shadowrun, Returns, Dragonball, Hong Kong
  • Wasteland 2 & 3
  • Pathfinder
  • The original Fallout games including tactics
  • Maybe even x-com
A lot of them are ported to consoles now so you don’t even need a good pc to play them anymore.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
crpg = classic role playing game

There's more 'small' games that scratch that itch compared to big releases imo

outer worlds is just a clean spruced up fallout 3.

the problem, for me at least, is the gameplay. like i think pathfinder: kingmaker did a great job of giving you non-kiss ass party members, open setting strongly influenced by your choices/actions, multiple approaches to situations - but the gameplay was absolute dogshyt :unimpressed:

the 'issue' with crpgs is that often times they lean too much into character building to the point where, imo, it fukks up the gameplay

and i wouldn't even include dragon's dogma tbh lol..... the game doesn't 'start' until you beat the initial story. then it drops the charade to reveal its basically an action game in disguise

Gizmo_Duck

blathering blatherskite!
Daps
Reppin
Duckburg, NY
Divinity Original Sin 2 is the greatest rpg ever made. Don’t do yourself the disservice of not playing it. :yeshrug:

I’ve played that game 4 times since it released, on both pc and console. Might play it again before i die

Rayzah

I'm Everywhere you ain't never there
Daps
Divinity Original Sin 2 is the greatest rpg ever made. Don’t do yourself the disservice of not playing it. :yeshrug:

I’ve played that game 4 times since it released, on both pc and console. Might play it again before i die
I’ve heard. Lol So do I have to play 1 I’m order to get the full experience