California $20 minimum wage for fast food workers start on April 1 2024

OperationNumbNutts

Superstar
Daps
Ehh, it’s a talking point that’s real. Out here, they already had push labor costs through - it already a costs $10-13 for a combo at McDonald’s at the local min wage which is like $15-16, and they said they will be raising prices. I don’t eat fast food enough to care, but spending $17 on a meal at McDonald’s when you can get a better meal from a casual spot out here for that same $15-20 :francis:
Respectfully, it's real but it's bullshyt. Like I said in a previous post, people were saying the same (including the industry) when minimum wage was bumped up to $5.15. We are talking about an industry that rarely pays health benefits, retirements, and other benefits. What they have done is convenience people why wages should be low while expanding their business.

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
People ignore rising prices until folks start getting paid more.

I’m an :old: breh. I remember .29 and .39 burgers. That shyt was dead by the time I reached high school.

Prices have BEEN going up.

Don’t be fooled by them saying they have to increase prices at the rate they have been lately because of increased wages. I worked damn near a decade in the restaurant industry. I know what time it is :laugh:
This is why that argument is so dumb to me
Min wage was 7.25 or whatever in most states for over 2 decades and yet we all saw with our own eyes price of fast food double and triple during that time span
Like news flash folks ….the whole point behind this push to increase min wage is cause the cost of everything was already going up :dead:

re'up

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Read a long article that broke down what someone already mentioned, the idea that wages go higher, slightly higher, in most cases but employers like Wal Mart and Target cut the hours, and unofficially cap employees hours below 40 to avoid paying health care costs on less than full time employees.

This also speaks to the trend of hiring more people, but less full time/benefits employees.

My boy was making the case yesterday that this will be bad. But, I don't really understand why. The idea that fast food is for teenagers and slackers was maybe never true when it became a dominant narrative, and doesn't seem to be true today. It actually feels like another class myth that was sold to everyone. Why don't they deserve a living wage for doing that work?

The cost of fast food will go slightly up sure, and that often hurts lower income families, but that is also the owners/shareholders making their choice.

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
Good for them, but $20/hr still ain't shyt if you want to live on your own. Maybe if they lived in Arkansas? You really need valuable skills if you wanna get somewhere in this life.

And with that mentioned,

This is all more proof that fast food was never meant to be a livable income. What's next $25/hr? $30/hr?

Daps
The worse part about fast food workers specific raise, is that restaurants have some of the worst profit margins. Supermarkets are even worse!
thats if your a mom and pop shop, McDonalds is obviously eating high on the hog with their 20 stores per city...

Family Man

Banned
Daps
I don't get it they raise the minimum wage the greedy commercial businesses raise prices on everything else so you back at square one.
They raise the prices higher than what is needed to offset the pay increase while simultaneously laying workers off.

The bigger issues is that no one should be a career fast food worker. Those jobs are for teenagers or workers passing through. Fast food work used to be for young muthaphuckas that are new to the job market. You're not meant to have a "livable wage" working fast food. Minimum wage laws like these are one of the reasons young black folks - black males in particular have such a high unemployment rate. While well intentioned they cause more harm than good and fukk over everybody in the process.