Calif. group votes to limit reparations to slave descendants

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Bushed
Daps
Nope, the goal is to do one in each state - slave states and non-slave states.

Then we are going after National Government and the companies that benefited as well -- that's the bigger one.
I'm with it but I've heard that described as 'piecemealing'

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
I cant find any information on black immigrants in the US pre 1900s. If the number is really that small then I dont thinks it's worth the effort to exclude them if their ancestors have been here long enough to not have records of immigration. I dont even know how we'd go about doing that without mandatory DNA testing.

I think Florida and NYC would have the best records for that. Those two places are where most immigrated too. I would say some definitely have a claim. But, it does get tricky -- cause some of those "Free Colored" were enslavers and brought their enslaved with them --and went on to enslaved more Black people.

But, even under the guidelines for California -- they would qualify -- the descendents.

So, again they can only try and see.

The first significant wave of recent Caribbean immigration occurred during the first three decades of the 20th century, particularly during World War I and throughout the 1920s. Before this time, Caribbean migration was primarily internal as migrants sought economic opportunities in other islands and nations throughout the Caribbean basin.

The eruption of the Haitian Revolution in 1791 sent another wave of migration from the Caribbean region. From the 1790s until approximately 1810, thousands of white, free colored, and some enslaved black Haitian refugees relocated to coastal cities such as Savannah, Charleston, Norfolk, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York, and especially to New Orleans.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
That's exactly the argument. But plenty of people came over from Cuba, Jamaica and the West Indies.
How much is plenty? And what do you do if someone immigrated before they started keeping a record of who immigrated and who was born a slave?
Were there even enough black immigrants RIGHT after slavery to waste the effort researching it in order to exclude their descendants?

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
How much is plenty? And what do you do if someone immigrated before they started keeping a record of who immigrated and who was born a slave?
Were there even enough black immigrants RIGHT after slavery to waste the effort researching it in order to exclude their descendants?
Their records are there.

Immigration records for all who came over. Especially Black Immigrants.

5n0man

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CALI
I think Florida and NYC would have the best records for that. Those two places are where most immigrated too. I would say some definitely have a claim. But, it does get tricky -- cause some of those "Free Colored" were enslavers and brought their enslaved with them --and went on to enslaved more Black people.

But, even under the guidelines for California -- they would qualify -- the descendents.

So, again they can only try and see.

The first significant wave of recent Caribbean immigration occurred during the first three decades of the 20th century, particularly during World War I and throughout the 1920s. Before this time, Caribbean migration was primarily internal as migrants sought economic opportunities in other islands and nations throughout the Caribbean basin.

The eruption of the Haitian Revolution in 1791 sent another wave of migration from the Caribbean region. From the 1790s until approximately 1810, thousands of white, free colored, and some enslaved black Haitian refugees relocated to coastal cities such as Savannah, Charleston, Norfolk, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York, and especially to New Orleans.
Weren't some of the free black folk buying their family members? I've read that not all black slave owners bought slaves with ill intentions.

Seems like there's alot of nuance to the discussion that isnt talked about enough.

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
Weren't some of the free black folk buying their family members? I've read that not all black slave owners bought slaves with ill intentions.

Seems like there's alot of nuance to the discussion that isnt talked about enough.

Yes, definitely! But, it is a small number who came over and were enslavers. Mulatto enslavers. They didn't see themselves as Black. This is a whole nother conversation that I don't wanna get in too.

Not a lot of nuance -- but it is gonna be some special cases for some people.

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
Just because you can doesn’t mean others could do the same. Lots of names just lead to a dead end.
I have to read through the thread but u keep talking in circles

if reparations actually goes through, it’s not going to be Everyman for themselves lol

there are going to be whole institutions built for the very purpose of making a claim. It’s not going to be dependent on nikkas using ancestry.com

there are going to be temp offices like tax offices ,sprouting up all around the country to get people an accurate claim

Daps
Reppin
#RIP Kobe
I have to read through the thread but u keep talking in circles

if reparations actually goes through, it’s not going to be Everyman for themselves lol

there are going to be whole institutions built for the very purpose of making a claim. It’s not going to be dependent on nikkas using ancestry.com

there are going to be temp offices like tax offices ,sprouting up all around the country to get people an accurate claim

now he gone explain to you how those buildings gotta be built to code in specific areas and yadda yadda

broke quadroon babble

CHICAGO

Vol. 9: Trapped
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CHICAGO
Not sure, it was extremely small. I would have to do some searching.

It was more Caribbeans than Africans immigrating in during the end of the 1800's.

I cant find any information on black immigrants in the US pre 1900s. If the number is really that small then I dont thinks it's worth the effort to exclude them if their ancestors have been here long enough to not have records of immigration. I dont even know how we'd go about doing that without mandatory DNA testing.

ITS A MOOT POINT
BECAUSE ANY BLACK PERSON WHO
IMMIGRATED HERE IN THE 1800S
HAS DESCENDANTS WHO HAVE
MAJORITY AA BLOOD IN 2022.

THEY DIDNT COME HERE
AND KEEP PROCREATING
WITH OTHER CARRIBEAN
IMMIGRANTS FOR THE NEXT 100+ YRS.
:devil:
:evil:

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
Effectively chipping away and usurping reparations on the federal level
I see what they are saying -- but I think we will be ok. We can also go after companies as well.

We do have to be extremely mindful. It's so messed up that we have to go into this without any help. That's why I think the State reparations will help on the National scale reparations campaign.

Bodies were mortgaged, insured.

Our ancestors cadavers were sold for medical schools.

I can go on. From Medical Apartheid to The Price for Their Pound of Flesh: The Value of the Enslaved from Womb to Grave.

Debt is owed. And a lot of this is before emancipation.