Calif. group votes to limit reparations to slave descendants

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
KiCxWz4gLka0JhJhPujsaKN__8_Y8wFREwLQVJkn_do.jpg

None of those numbers even come CLOSE to what America owes black people.

You know how much money was made from slavery...adjusted for inflation?

Almost $50 TRILLION. You'd need 2,000 Jeff Bezos' to match that number. No, America can't afford cash payments alone.

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
Do you know how quickly $50k-100k would go up in flames? :mjlol:

Most of it would go towards debt payments, which really only serves to create MORE debt. That's a :hamster:wheel if there ever was one. However, cash + the other elements is CRITICAL.

If black people could have $0 debt, go to school for free and have free healthcare that would me IMMENSE.

Why? Because that's most of the debt black people have. With out those burdens, home ownership is more of a reality. Higher earning careers is more of a reality. More black doctors, lawyers, scientists, engineers etc. That creates GENERATIONAL WEALTH.

Not just giving some 45 million nikkas a million each. Not to mention it would devalue the dollar too.
why are you so afraid of money? it's not reparations without a big pile of money. if it's only a big pile of money, TAKE IT. you can have the freedom to handle your business with you money the way you see fit. that's what this is all about, giving us what is owed and allowing us the freedom to choose what we do after that. most black people will actually do housing and school things you're talking about anyway, but not everybody needs MORE free education or another house. this is scared talk.

Asicz

Presume the unpredictable
Daps
@Numb Vaccine Arm Slavery and Reparations experts scholars and advocates have come up with calculation based in large part on wage theft of each slaves that worked. Some have come up with numbers like 17 and 19 Trillion. Others have said 20 Trillion down payment with multi generational multi faceted Repartions.

We all know the grave severity of what occurred can never be fully compensated but America has a duty to do the best it can to make it right.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
I don’t think this is true.
It is very much true
Surnames for African-Americans - Former Slaves | FamilyTree.com
the early years, especially between the 1860 and 1880s, families even changed a surname several times until they settled on a certain one. That alone can make if difficult to research an African- American family during those years.

So just a few things to be aware of when researching any African-American ancestors. It can be a difficult path, but just might be reachable.
This is directly from the website posted here where people said it was “easy” to trace lineage.

but in your scenario, a lot of lighter skinned black American men and women wouldn’t get anything.
Why not?

Daps
Reppin
#RIP Kobe
Do you know how quickly $50k-100k would go up in flames? :mjlol:

Most of it would go towards debt payments, which really only serves to create MORE debt. That's a :hamster:wheel if there ever was one. However, cash + the other elements is CRITICAL.

If black people could have $0 debt, go to school for free and have free healthcare that would me IMMENSE.

Why? Because that's most of the debt black people have. With out those burdens, home ownership is more of a reality. Higher earning careers is more of a reality. More black doctors, lawyers, scientists, engineers etc. That creates GENERATIONAL WEALTH.

Not just giving some 45 million nikkas a million each. Not to mention it would devalue the dollar too.

nah I want some $$$ . it would devalue but we are already doing that anyways giving $ to cacs in ukraine and shyt

ultraflexed

Superstar
Daps
Documentation of what?

The history has been erased.

Millions of black folks don’t even know who their grandparents are. Let alone having the ability to actually find and prove documentation.

A very common thing was black people changing their name when they moved to flee whatever the hell they were running from.

Lots of black people moved from the south and pretty much deleted their history on purpose. Those people and their ancestors were greatly harmed by slavery, but in this “papers please” scenario they’d get nothing.

Lots of black men were locked in prison or died at the hands of racist violence. No last name or lineage available. Their ancestors would get nothing.

I don’t think a lot of you have really thought this through.

Lol...this is bullshyt...the majority of ADOS know who there grandparents are, and if for some reason you dont know, a simple DNA test will branch out your family tree on both sides, end of story.

Its 2021 and there are so many resources to look up ancestors, and If you cant find yours it's more due to laziness then anything else.

Before ancestry.com my father had already his fathers side to our x8 great grandmother, we even have a picture of her. My mom's uncle traced back to slavery also, this was in the 90's with even less resources

Stop being lazy, go on youtube an watch Henry Lewis gates finding our roots series, he has never been able to not find the ancestors of any black americans. And if you watch he tells you exactly how he found the records which are still out there intact.

Shout outs to the great sister dede for all the work she's done and continuing to fight the good great fight.

ADOS STAND UP

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Lol...this is bullshyt...the majority of ADOS know who there grandparents are, and if for some reason you dont know, a simple DNA test will branch out your family tree on both sides, end of story.

Its 2021 and there are so many resources to look up ancestors, and If you cant find yours it's more due to laziness then anything else.

Before ancestry.com my father had already his fathers side to our x8 great grandmother, we even have a picture of her. My mom's uncle traced back to slavery also, this was in the 90's with even less resources

Stop being lazy, go on youtube an watch Henry Lewis gates finding our roots series, he has never been able to not find the ancestors of any black americans. And if you watch he tells you exactly how he found the records which are still out there intact.

Shout outs to the great sister dede for all the work she's done and continuing to fight the good great fight.

ADOS STAND UP
A DNA test won’t tell WHEN your ancestors came from Africa.

The problem is DOCUMENTATION. Yeah you can look back and try to find out where uncle Willy moved from, but can you PROVE it.:comeon:

Most people can not. Especially black people.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
You think people will blow cash payments like they did PPP/EDD? That’s what I’m worried about but I think that’s just an issue mostly for younger folks. Older folks will use it responsibly

Yes, because financial education is terrible in this country. For everyone, not just us.

40 acres and a mule in todays money .. and yeah the government has land to give .

Cash + Tangibles .. So we agree on that

We do. For sure. But just 40 acres & a mule in today's money would hover around $7 trillion. That's more than the national debt and STILL wouldn't address the CRIMES commited against us. That's just repaying what was promised to us at Emancipation.

why are you so afraid of money? it's not reparations without a big pile of money. if it's only a big pile of money, TAKE IT. you can have the freedom to handle your business with you money the way you see fit. that's what this is all about, giving us what is owed and allowing us the freedom to choose what we do after that. most black people will actually do housing and school things you're talking about anyway, but not everybody needs MORE free education or another house. this is scared talk.

No, I'm thinking long term. Cash SHOULD be a part of the settlement but not cash alone. If not we'll just end up with the same people in dire financial situations with no tools to rectify it. Tell me, with all the PPP and Stimulus money. How many people TRULY saved it? A third of the country played down debt and over 41% spent it So that's 71% of that money that just LEFT. Its gone. Apply that to people in dire financial situations and large chunks of money would be leaving the community. This is why it can't be money ALONE.

Please, read carefully what I'm saying.

REPARATIONS CANNOT BE JUST CASH. It must be a part of a holistic approach to support the entirety of black people.

I am not advocating for NO cash payments. I'm also illustrating that if it IS just cash, we'd get low-balled. Because the value of the labor and crimes committed against us is more than any conutry on earth can pay.

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
A DNA test won’t tell WHEN your ancestors came from Africa.

The problem is DOCUMENTATION. Yeah you can look back and try to find out where uncle Willy moved from, but can you PROVE it.:comeon:

Most people can not. Especially black people.

DNA can help you find your other relatives who were enslaved here in the U.S. This is not about finding the African ancestor and where they are from in Africa -- this is about finding an ancestor who was enslaved and alive and listed on the 1870 census. We all have them if we are living today.

Here's an example from one of my many ancestors. Mandy is listed on the 1870 census -- but let's say she wasn't listed. Her death record shows her birth and location. We know she was enslaved.

FZDy0eR.png

If that isn't enough -- I can jump to the 1880 census and see the WHOLE FAMILY with My 3rd great granny May in the household. She was born in 1792. I can also look up the "Wills and Probate" records for that family and the families in that area -- and see the records of the enslaved on the 1860 census -- and to go further -- I can see them LISTED as property -- in the Will and Probate records from those families. BY NAME.

KuiIZgU.png

kPzVUwA.png

Mandy Kelly is the Mother of my Great Granny. I was alive when my Great Granny Molly died. She is the mother of my Grandfather.

Last edited:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
DNA can help you find your other relatives who were enslaved here in the U.S. This is not about finding the African ancestor and where they are from in Africa -- this is about finding an ancestor who was enslaved and alive and listed on the 1870 census. We all have them if we are living today.

Here's an example from one of my many ancestors. Mandy is listed on the 1870 census -- but let's say she wasn't listed. Her death record shows her birth and location. We know she was enslaved.

FZDy0eR.png

If that isn't enough -- I can jump to the 1880 census and see the WHOLE FAMILY with My 3rd great granny May in the household. She was born in 1792. I can also look up the "Wills and Probate" records for that family and the families in that area -- and see the records of the enslaved on the 1860 census -- and to go further -- I can see them LISTED as property -- in the Will and Probate records from those family. BY NAME.

KuiIZgU.png

kPzVUwA.png

Mandy Kelly is the Mother of my Great Granny. I was alive when my Great Granny Molly died. She is the mother of my Grandfather.
Just because you can doesn’t mean others could do the same. Lots of names just lead to a dead end.

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
WWI and WWI2 records and United States Colored Troop records are also available. And for some of us Pension records -- some widows of USCT soldiers got pensions -- so you can also search those. There are so many ways they have kept track of us in general.

Also, remember convict leasing that happened right after emancipation.

I posted about this before -- my Great Grandfather was a victim of child convict leasing.
Genealogy Finds: Child Convict Leasing - My Great Grandfather Was A Victim

Great Grandpa Ben was sentenced to over a year at the age of 13.

He was about 4'9 and weighed around 85lbs.

R2xnOAC.png

Again, it's really not that difficult and it will be resources to help people.

Last edited:

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
Just because you can doesn’t mean others could do the same.
We all have these records Sir. If your ancestors have been in this country since the beginning. Do you know how many ancestors you have!? MANY -- You have two parents. Which makes 4 grandparent -- and so on....]

I can go up to the 4th Great Grandparents -- but for most it will be 3rd Great Grandparents.

If you can't find ONE -- you aint a descendent of the enslaved here.

Generations-count.jpg

Formerly Black Trash

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
You think people will blow cash payments like they did PPP/EDD? That’s what I’m worried about but I think that’s just an issue mostly for younger folks. Older folks will use it responsibly
So what?

Let them blow it

The fact some ppl will spend their money unwisely is not an excuse for not giving out payments

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
We all have these records Sir. If your ancestors have been in this country since the beginning. Do you know how many ancestors you have!? MANY -- You have two parents. Which makes 4 grandparent -- and so on....]

I can go up to the 4th Great Grandparents -- but for most it will be 3rd Great Grandparents.

If you can't find ONE -- you aint a descendent of the enslaved here.

Generations-count.jpg
What I’m saying is. Lots of people don’t have names to search.

Lots of names of been changed. Lots of people don’t have two parents to search. There’s generations of people who don’t have two parents or grandparents to search. Lots of records have been lost and mishandled. Lots of people who existed back then have been lost to history. Again. Even on the sites you guys are using the explicit say finding black folks can and will be difficult.

But y’all like “naw it’s easy”

xoxodede

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Michigan/Atlanta
What I’m saying is. Lots of people don’t have names to search.

Lots of names of been changed. Lots of people don’t have two parents to search. There’s generations of people who don’t have two parents or grandparents to search. Lots of records have been lost and mishandled. Lots of people who existed back then have been lost to history. Again. Even on the sites you guys are using the explicit say finding black folks can and will be difficult.

But y’all like “naw it’s easy”

We have to agree to disagree. A couple of arms of my family changed their name after emancipation -- but you can still track them.

Are you saying people don't know their Grandparents names? Can they not ask somebody in their family?

If not, they can request their parents birth certificate or death certificate and their parents will be listed on both. Atleast ONE parent.

All this to say, there will be special cases -- but I have 100% confidence that we will be able to find 95 % of most people's records. And if we can't they are looking for other ways.

If people don't know their parents and grandparents -- meaning adoption -- DNA will help. Also, adoption records - and so on.