Bright (Will Smith, dir. David Ayer) thread

StickStickly

Superstar
Daps
Anyone else find this movie was kinda...simple? Like a made for tv Disney movie from the 2000s. I mean all they did was place modern American race dynamics with fantasy creatures, (the ugliest most hated creatures resembling the treatment of blacks and the graceful, intelligent creatures resemble whites :mjpls:). I get why people like Will Smith but his acting skills aren’t all that great. It’s really evident in the scenes where they have to fill dead air with ad lib like when they call in Rodriguez to help them. He kills movies for me.

I get the low rating, but I get why people like it too. It’s fun and action packed, like a buddy cop movie usually is. And anytime we get a black protagonist is great

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
Man watched this last night. Surprisingly good and lots of really well done action scenes and stunts. They were blowing all kinds of shyt up, but it wasn't Michael Bay like stupidity.

Only a handful of things I didn't like:
* They didn't set up the world very well. Sometimes you can just throw people in and it's OK, but this made the first 1/4 of the movie feel very weird.
* Didn't like the makeup for the orcs. Kind of lame. considering all the thinks they could have done and other orcs we've seen in cinema. I guess they didn't want to look like anything else.

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
The story did not specify what the government did with brights or the wand fully.

That was left unanswered

I think the implication was magic use was obsolete and the government is pushing the idea that no one uses it anymore

At the end when the orc starts singing like a canary and the elf FBI guy just looks at Will Smith for the "official" report, he just completely denies the existence of a wand. They obviously don't want panic over the "Dark One" returning.

Blackout

just your usual nerdy brotha
Daps
I think the implication was magic use was obsolete and the government is pushing the idea that no one uses it anymore

At the end when the orc starts singing like a canary and the elf FBI guy just looks at Will Smith for the "official" report, he just completely denies the existence of a wand. They obviously don't want panic over the "Dark One" returning.
He denied existence of the wand publically and privately also because he doesn’t trust the feds. If the feds were heroes he would of told them and they would of worked together to secure the wand and stop the dark lord return in the sequel set up but that didn’t happen because the feds were not heroes.

Blankthawtz

90-9-1 Principle
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Land of fukkery
just finished it....not a good flick for someone of Will Smith's character......should have been a SyFy channel movie....very hum drum....:francis:

J-MIL

Fly Sh!t Only
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, The 100's
Was high af when I watched it and it wasn't bad at all.

Probably wouldn't have checked it out if I was sober tho

Norrin Radd

To me, my board!
Daps
Reppin
Zenn-La
'Bright' Sequel Officially a Go at Netflix

Netflix has taken a shine to Bright, the streamer's fantasy cop drama that debuted this December.

The streaming giant has greenlighted a sequel that is expected to reunite stars Will Smith and Joel Edgerton, along with director David Ayer.

Bright takes place in a fictional Los Angeles filled with fairies, elves and magic wands while acting as an allegory for real-world race relations. It follows a veteran cop (Smith) who reluctantly takes on a new partner, an Orc played by Edgerton, and has to protect a magical wand from law enforcement, criminals and an array of supernatural characters.

Eric Newman and Bryan Unkeless are also returning as producers.

One key player who will not be returning for round two is writer Max Landis, who was paid a reported $3 million to $4 million for his screenplay in 2016 when the project ignited a bidding war before ultimately selling to Netflix.

Last edited:

pete clemenza

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cali
Half way through it and:patrice:Action scenes are dope but the storyline and dialog is all over the place:scusthov: