Bright (Will Smith, dir. David Ayer) thread

Kenny West

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It was pretty good. The plot seemed to escalate a little quickly and it would have benefitted from being subdued and some more exposition. Like the other cops had already flipped to dirty in their 2nd scene, dead in the 3rd.

The world in this movie was pretty cool, I wish we got more of it through showing instead of telling. I guess you can blame the netflix budget, they prolly blew most of it getting Will lol.

Supernatural buddy cop flick. It's cool

Daps
Reppin
Continental U.S.
All subjective shyt:russ: when are y'all going to realize critics, just like you, are people with different opinions? So because they for the most part liked it comes at night and you didn't, it's fukk them? Or because they for the most part loved the witch (me too) and you didn't, it's fukk them? Breh, there has to be a line somewhere cause that shyt is crazy. Here's a great article on the whole subject too:
Netflix’s Bright shines a light on divide between critics, audiences on Rotten Tomatoes

Anyway, the movie was fine. I enjoyed watching it for the most part and liked the world it created. Don't know if I'd watch it again or its sequel but it's solid.
An article low-key caping for critics written by a critic :mjlol:

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
An article written low-key camping for critics from a critic :mjlol:

Not at all. Read the whole article breh. The point of the article is the last line: Time to be done with numbers as a whole and stop believing criticism, from a fan or a critic, is as arbitrary as putting a number on it. If you don't like something but a critic does, cool, and the same goes for the reverse.

I’ll use this last bit of the article to remind readers and movie goers that criticism is entirely subjective, and the best method of trying to figure out whether you’ll enjoy a movie is by paying close attention to one or two critics whose opinions tend to line up to yours. Rotten Tomatoes merely aggregates reviews; it doesn’t subjectively determine whether a movie is worth buying tickets for.

Also the last line:

It’s time to let the “Tomatometer” score go.

KalKal

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
No Whammies!!

Holiday weekend plus being named “the WORST movie of 2017” peaking people interest :ehh:

I planned to watch it based on the premise, but I probably wouldn't have watched it the first weekend if it wasn't already being called the worst movie of the year. If it just had "normal" fair to negative reviews, I probably wouldn't have watched it for a while.
So, yeah, the negative hype did end up making me more interested.

8WON6

The Great Negro
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kansas City, MO.
From what i can tell, alot of people seem to need the entire concept of fantasy species living with humans explained to them like 5 year olds. And it's really baffling to me, but at the same time it explains why so many people need origin stories for comic book movies. :ld:They even explain much of the backstory, and it seems alot of people just weren't even paying attention while they explain basic shyt, then they hop online complainin about shyt they missed. 6 Lord of the Rings movies and people are like "what is an orc?". It's just weird because the world that "Bright" builds isn't even that wild on the scifi-fantasy spectrum, but alot of people i'm seeing are like :mindblown:.

ELESDEE616

Nikkas snitch on the coli like they name is Kobe
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Kobe snitched on Shaq
From what i can tell, alot of people seem to need the entire concept of fantasy species living with humans explained to them like 5 year olds. And it's really baffling to me, but at the same time it explains why so many people need origin stories for comic book movies. :ld:They even explain much of the backstory, and it seems alot of people just weren't even paying attention while they explain basic shyt, then they hop online complainin about shyt they missed. 6 Lord of the Rings movies and people are like "what is an orc?". It's just weird because the world that "Bright" builds isn't even that wild on the scifi-fantasy spectrum, but alot of people i'm seeing are like :mindblown:.
Lol for real. Like i was totally find with the mystery of the world unraveling as the movie progressed.

nikkas really need their hands held during a movie.

Mr Clean

Superstar
Daps
Movie wasn't hard to follow but the way shyt is laid out the only foreshadowing for the main plot points is a line getting dropped at some point. Will being a Bright is only hinted at by the dude talking Orcish in the squad car. That's it. They showed it one too many times but Jakoby really losing the dude who shot Will and letting the kid go, no way you could miss that. People complain like the movie didn't spell things out, if you really don't like how they went about it just say this shyt is wack and kim.

Also the conspiriacy to shyt on this movie. This is nowhere near the first movie Netflix funded. Maybe people really don't like it. This shyt is Transformers status. No one had nothing negative to say about Beasts of No Nation.

fukk it I might have to watch that again tonight

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL

And those same people have been the ones saying for years that they're sick of origin stories.

I'm just come to the conclusion that some motherfukkers just like to bytch and complain about shyt. You can give them exactly what they ask for and they'll still find a reason to shyt on it.

Star Wars the Force Awakens was criticized for being a pseudo remake of A New Hope, not taking any chances, and not moving beyond the Skywalker family. The Last Jedi comes out and does all of those things and of course people are bytching about it not being like the original films.

People bytched about the Thor Franchise being too somber, serious, and dark...Thor Ragnarok comes out and injects humor and levity into the film and people complain about it being a comedy.

Even with Bright, how often do we see people whining about there being no original films with unique concepts.....This drops and people start complaining about it looking too weird and not buying the concept.

:snoop:

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Movie wasn't hard to follow but the way shyt is laid out the only foreshadowing for the main plot points is a line getting dropped at some point. Will being a Bright is only hinted at by the dude talking Orcish in the squad car. That's it. They showed it one too many times but Jakoby really losing the dude who shot Will and letting the kid go, no way you could miss that. People complain like the movie didn't spell things out, if you really don't like how they went about it just say this shyt is wack and kim.

Also the conspiriacy to shyt on this movie. This is nowhere near the first movie Netflix funded. Maybe people really don't like it. This shyt is Transformers status. No one had nothing negative to say about Beasts of No Nation.

fukk it I might have to watch that again tonight

It's also foreshadowed when the guy who was talking Orkish was being interrogated. They started talking about most Brights are elves and that one in a million humans are Brights, but the only way to find out to hold a magic wand and see if you explode or not.

Killigraphy

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC black coffee tough guys aka the Stoozy Boys
I thought the same thing. Would’ve set the sequel up nicely. The movie was too predictable and safe. Should’ve taken some chances with that world.

One of the glaring problems with movies in general. Netflix handled Punisher for example, better than any of the movies. Some times, a hero story needs to be examined, probed, expanded, and cathartic. All we learned is that Smith's character is a Bright, but has no interest in learning spells or even diving into the culture... :why:

We're talking about the ability to raise the dead, level entire cities, cure disease, etc. Yet he's okay with being a cop? Nah, not buying that. Even Superman decides to keep his powers when given the option to be human. Being a god is much more appealing, especially if you're a good guy.