"BRICK CITY" THE OFFICIAL NEWARK DISCUSSION THREAD

skeetsinternal

I never see my nut
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cervixes
Yeah not really projects but I forgot the official term for them. It's right across from Vailsburg Park.
Near Garden state parkway, off Tremont Ave near south orange Ave. I know the area. Hood as fukk over there and them houses need to be demolished. Seton Hall right up the road and this area is a reason why Seton Hall divert their student/parent/visitor traffic to rt 280 exit to avoid going thru this area.

skeetsinternal

I never see my nut
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cervixes
projects?

on South Munn?
Yea you know them buildings. It's always nikkas selling bean pies at that intersection by the park. Like you going to Seton Hall from Newark. The park will be on your left and them buildings on the right. I used to park over there back in the day to fukk this chic in the backseat in that parking lot of them houses

skeetsinternal

I never see my nut
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cervixes
shyt lowkey disappointing and weak

where the basketball court?

imma be down there next week to see this shyt in person
I doubt this will be for black kids to play in. If you look at Kearny and Iron bound areas it's new developments for cacs and Latinos. The soccer stadium, the hockey stadium, whole foods and Starbucks.
This like saying Rockefeller center with the ice rink was built for NY urban kids to play in

Brandon M.

City of Angels
Daps
I doubt this will be for black kids to play in. If you look at Kearny and Iron bound areas it's new developments for cacs and Latinos. The soccer stadium, the hockey stadium, whole foods and Starbucks.
This like saying Rockefeller center with the ice rink was built for NY urban kids to play in
oh i know and you know it too

skeetsinternal

I never see my nut
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cervixes
oh i know and you know it too
This area of Newark is a stone's throw from those new developments in Kearny, iron bound and parts north and west of Newark which is all cacs. Newark will be their kids playground. It's already their adult playground.
I wish politicians would just say what it is but they are in bed with cacs and have sold Newark under the premise of inclusion. Newark will be like Baltimore in under 5 yrs

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Yeah not really projects but I forgot the official term for them. It's right across from Vailsburg Park.
I grew up in old Newark, so to me projects mean the Hayes Homes on Prince Street.

Those buildings on South Munn are run down, though. The Parkway used to be a dividing line between Vailsburg and West Side area, when V. was still nice. I think those buildings used to be the only place that people coming from other parts of the city could afford. That area used to be decent, if you can believe it....MFers ruined it .

I agree with your first post about something needing to be done about that area.

JerseyBoy23

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Essex County, NJ
I grew up in old Newark, so to me projects mean the Hayes Homes on Prince Street.

Those buildings on South Munn are run down, though. The Parkway used to be a dividing line between Vailsburg and West Side area, when V. was still nice. I think those buildings used to be the only place that people coming from other parts of the city could afford. That area used to be decent, if you can believe it....MFers ruined it .

I agree with your first post about something needing to be done about that area.

I can see that. You can tell which parts of EO and Vailsburg were considered off-limits to us before the riots.

It's mind boggling, cause there's houses that are three family houses in 2019 that at one point were probably owned by one family.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

GREAT LOOK
Jersey media and art get overlooked because of the huge shadow that New York casts.

they should have selected Moddy Mod, though. heheheheheh

@ :11 seconds, does the woman on the far right look familiar?

K-Apps

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brick City/Happy Valley
https://www.nj.com/essex/2019/06/bill-gates-just-chose-10-cities-to-invest-in-and-one-of-them-is-in-nj.html

Bill Gates just chose 10 cities to invest in and one of them is Newark
By Karen Yi | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com
Updated Jun 19, 4:38 PM; Posted Jun 18, 2019
Newark’s newest initiative to provide free legal help for low-income tenants facing evictionsis getting a major boost from three of the largest philanthropic organizations in the world.

Bloomberg Philanthropies, the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, and Ballmer Group announced Tuesday they were investing $12 million in 10 cities -- including Newark -- to promote economic mobility. Newark, the only city picked in New Jersey, will focus on affordable housing and reducing evictions.

“We’re honored to be part of this, they are highly selective,” said Natasha Rogers, Newark’s Chief Operating Officer and Interim Deputy Mayor.

Newark will not get a direct share of the $12 million initiative but a group of five consultants (who started June 3) from Results for America and the Behavioral Insights Team are providing consulting services and technical assistance for 18 months. The city launched its new Office of Tenant Legal Services earlier this month so a bulk of the resources will be directed toward ensuring the program is successful and efficient.

“While we’re focused on hiring the legal providers and getting funding sources for that, they’re focused on the intake process: is that what it needs to be, and your database, your compliance,” Rogers said.

"We can make better decisions based on information and data. Because we’re all from here or most of us are, we have this very kinetic, familial relationship that affects our decision making and I’m not saying that’s bad but what I am saying ... sometimes when you look at the data, it directs you a different way than what your heart says.”

About 38,000 evictions are filed in Essex County every year with Newark accounting for 20,000 of those. About 78 percent of Newarkers are renters. And when faced with eviction, nine out of 10 don’t have an attorney, city officials said.

Many cities are facing a decline in opportunities for younger generations to earn more wealth than their parents. While 90% of people born in the 1940s earn more than their parents did, now only half of children grow up to earn more than their parents, according to Opportunity Insights. And where you live often determines how likely you are to climb the economic ladder, studies show.

“This national initiative to increase economic mobility will be a critical tool in our work towards achieving economic justice,” Mayor Ras Baraka said in a statement.

Maintaining safe and affordable housing has been a major initiative for Baraka as the city faces new waves of developments coupled with fears from longtime residents about getting displaced. Baraka also created a 15-member anti-gentrification commission late last year to oversee the city’s development; the city council approved its members on Tuesday.

Rogers said being able to use the resources and expertise from the philanthropic groups will make a lasting impact in the city, which is one of three in the country (New York and San Francisco are the others) to offer free legal representation to tenants.

“Within 18 months, this will probably be one of the strongest offices in the country,” she said.

The other cities picked for the initiative include: Albuquerque, New Mexico; Cincinnati, Ohio; Dayton, Ohio; Detroit, Michigan; Lansing, Michigan; New Orleans, Louisiana; Racine, Wisconsin; Rochester, New York and Tulsa, Oklahoma.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Actually going to be in prudential center this weekend to see the shakur stevenson fight...i got credentials for it

in prepping for the trip, i downloaded the nj transit app because im thinking it would be easier for me to buy light rail or bus tickets using that...man this app is trash

skeetsinternal

I never see my nut
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cervixes
Actually going to be in prudential center this weekend to see the shakur stevenson fight...i got credentials for it

in prepping for the trip, i downloaded the nj transit app because im thinking it would be easier for me to buy light rail or bus tickets using that...man this app is trash
Take a Uber there. Parking is expensive. Should be a good fight.

patscorpio

It's a movement
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
MA/CT/Nigeria #byrdgang #RingGangRadio
Take a Uber there. Parking is expensive. Should be a good fight.
not driving at all...taking the bus to newark penn station from boston..will mostly taking the light rail or bus to prudential center from where im staying...whats the public transportation there or around prudential center like late night? im not sure what time ill be out and im not planning on doing any prowling around or shyt like that afterwards lol.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

They built that building in the best possible spot........you leave Penn Station.....and walk down Market Street and it's on the left

oh, and you're not from Jersey, so you're just finding out, but EVERYTHING about NJ Transit is trash.

============================================================

I got a funny Prudential Center story. When it first opened, I was in the Gateway Center doing something for a relative..i look out the window and I see something hilarious about to happen (before it happens)

I see Devils fans coming from Penn Station walking towards the Pru. Center, and I see some skinny grimy kids coming in the other direction from Broad & Market towards Penn Station. This is pre gentrification, so these kids see groups of white people in town after 5pm and they see FOOD. Not knowing that hockey fans are the most gully white people there are. Diesel blue collar white dudes
I didn't stick around for the action, but I imagined it involved some of the Batman tv show sound effects.