"BRICK CITY" THE OFFICIAL NEWARK DISCUSSION THREAD

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
thanks...........looks better than what I imagined. Paramount has been closed for a LONG time. When that and the Adams closed. we'd hit either the Castle or the theatres on Bloomfield Avenue.

The restoration could work, and be profitable if it becomes an arthouse theatre.
catering to movie nerds and the film festival crowd who don't want to go into the city.
Almost like Tribeca Film Festival

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ

Former NBA superstar Shaquille O'Neal is making his mark on his hometown skyline.

And much like the 7-foot-1-inch sports legend, the 22-story apartment complex -- colloquially called "Shaq Tower" -- will hover over the city's downtown as its first high-rise in more than 50 years.

Shaq-Tower-Newark-2.jpg

"I remember when I was growing up (the city) used to be beautiful like this so the older I get, I want it to be a little more beautiful," O'Neal told NJ Advance Media. "I invest in things that are going to make a difference."

On Tuesday, O'Neal, a Newark native, was joined by Gov. Phil Murphy, Lt. Gov. Sheila Oliver and Mayor Ras Baraka to mark a milestone in the building's construction.

"Yet another piece of evidence that this city is on the rise, let there be no doubt about it," Murphy said. "This is a city that has got a trajectory that is undeniable ... as our big urban centers go, first and foremost as Newark goes, so goes the state of New Jersey."

The $79 million luxury apartments, developed by Boraei Developmentand O'Neal, are steps from the New Jersey Performing Arts Centerand the renovated Hahne & Co. building that includes a Whole Foodsand the newest restaurant by celebrity chef Marcus Samuelsson.

The 168 apartments at 1 Rector Street will open by the end of the year with residents able to apply for a lease as soon as September, Wasseem Boraie told NJ Advance Media. He said the company bought the property -- which used to house the old Science Park High School10 years ago -- but construction didn't begin until last October.

"We were waiting for the right time," Boraie said, citing new businesses in the area. "We all then build up around the supply."

O'Neal also announced a new $150 million, 350-unit apartment complex with Boraie (whom he called "the Kobe Bryant of development"). The 35-story building on 777 McCarter Highway will be known as the "House that Shaq Built," O'Neal said.

"I was born and raised here, I love this city," O'Neal said during a press conference after struggling to lift the microphones at the podium to his height.

O'Neal recalled a 1992 visit to Newark to see his relatives. "My mother says to me, 'I remember when this city used to be beautiful, somebody needs to come back and invest in this city and make it beautiful again,' then she gave me the elbow to the chest like I'm that somebody," he said.

Goldman Sachs, which is investing in 1 Rector Street, will also invest in the new development. The company has already invested $600 million in the city through various projects.

A new program in Newark called Project IMPACT also partnered with O'Neal and Boraie to help train local residents for unionized jobs. So far, 18 individuals have been placed as apprentices.

Mayor Ras Baraka said the city wanted to make sure developers gave Newarkers a share of the jobs "to make sure that we can create pipelines for Newark residents to be a part of the growth and development that's happening here in Newark."

Last edited:

Yinny

I miss LLC Twitter
Daps
Reppin
Shangri-La

Former NBA superstar Shaquille O'Neal is making his mark on his hometown skyline.

And much like the 7-foot-1-inch sports legend, the 22-story apartment complex -- colloquially called "Shaq Tower" -- will hover over the city's downtown as its first high-rise in more than 50 years.

O
Shaq-Tower-Newark-2.jpg

"I remember when I was growing up (the city) used to be beautiful like this so the older I get, I want it to be a little more beautiful," O'Neal told NJ Advance Media. "I invest in things that are going to make a difference."

On Tuesday, O'Neal, a Newark native, was joined by Gov. Phil Murphy, Lt. Gov. Sheila Oliver and Mayor Ras Baraka to mark a milestone in the building's construction.

"Yet another piece of evidence that this city is on the rise, let there be no doubt about it," Murphy said. "This is a city that has got a trajectory that is undeniable ... as our big urban centers go, first and foremost as Newark goes, so goes the state of New Jersey."

The $79 million luxury apartments, developed by Boraei Developmentand O'Neal, are steps from the New Jersey Performing Arts Centerand the renovated Hahne & Co. building that includes a Whole Foodsand the newest restaurant by celebrity chef Marcus Samuelsson.

The 168 apartments at 1 Rector Street will open by the end of the year with residents able to apply for a lease as soon as September, Wasseem Boraie told NJ Advance Media. He said the company bought the property -- which used to house the old Science Park High School10 years ago -- but construction didn't begin until last October.

"We were waiting for the right time," Boraie said, citing new businesses in the area. "We all then build up around the supply."

O'Neal also announced a new $150 million, 350-unit apartment complex with Boraie (whom he called "the Kobe Bryant of development"). The 35-story building on 777 McCarter Highway will be known as the "House that Shaq Built," O'Neal said.

"I was born and raised here, I love this city," O'Neal said during a press conference after struggling to lift the microphones at the podium to his height.

O'Neal recalled a 1992 visit to Newark to see his relatives. "My mother says to me, 'I remember when this city used to be beautiful, somebody needs to come back and invest in this city and make it beautiful again,' then she gave me the elbow to the chest like I'm that somebody," he said.

Goldman Sachs, which is investing in 1 Rector Street, will also invest in the new development. The company has already invested $600 million in the city through various projects.

A new program in Newark called Project IMPACT also partnered with O'Neal and Boraie to help train local residents for unionized jobs. So far, 18 individuals have been placed as apprentices.

Mayor Ras Baraka said the city wanted to make sure developers gave Newarkers a share of the jobs "to make sure that we can create pipelines for Newark residents to be a part of the growth and development that's happening here in Newark."

I was there earlier. I’m flabbergasted that they’re redoing the high-rise stuff here. No clue where all these social programs are gonna wind up (not to mention pub housing.)

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
I was there earlier. I’m flabbergasted that they’re redoing the high-rise stuff here. No clue where all these social programs are gonna wind up (not to mention pub housing.)
Yea it's interesting because when all the high rises were knocked down by the early 00's townhouses were put in place. Now majority of the new residential projects are high rises again.

Yinny

I miss LLC Twitter
Daps
Reppin
Shangri-La
Yea it's interesting because when all the high rises were knocked down by the early 00's townhouses were put in place. Now majority of the new residential projects are high rises again.

We’re 20 years away from a JC or Hoboken level of gentrification. It looks like they’ve been beefing up police presence around the 18th/ avon/stratford parts , where’s the money coming from? Is there something going on?

The new buildings have security but it’s almost a waste when they’re right next to the hood. I’m guessing they’re really pushing for more mds and young grads to move into them and corp hires to pay less than nyc rents. Ncc and housing its pretty clear won’t be around in another 50 years, I think the senior spots will stay though. Do you own here?

Self_Born7

SUN OF MAN
Daps
Reppin
all 23 million miles of useful land
I almost got robbed visiting a friend in Elizabeth last year. Ain't nothing country about that city :francis:

I consider the country once you reach below I-195
or plainfied, as previous poster stated...
heck, growing up in hillside, shyt was cool... went back a few years to still see the fam... and that shyt look rough. everybody from neighboring newark and irvington moving there now , i heard.

BigMan

Veteran
Daps
or plainfied, as previous poster stated...
heck, growing up in hillside, shyt was cool... went back a few years to still see the fam... and that shyt look rough. everybody from neighboring newark and irvington moving there now , i heard.
used to live in hillside when i was real young:banderas:ganggang