"BRICK CITY" THE OFFICIAL NEWARK DISCUSSION THREAD

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
'Sopranos' prequel movie 'The Many Saints of Newark' in the works
Updated Mar 8; Posted Mar 8
If you did not stop believing, here, at long last, is your reward.

A long-rumored "Sopranos" prequel has been given the green light, Deadline reports.

"The Many Saints of Newark," a screenplay from "Sopranos" creator David Chase, has been picked up by New Line Cinema, the report says. The story is reportedly set in 1960s Newark, around the time of the Newark riots.

Chase, who grew up in Clifton and North Caldwell, co-wrote the script with "Sopranos" collaborator Lawrence Konner.

Talk of a prequel has been in the air since not long after the HBO series, which premiered in 1999, ended with an abrupt cut to black in 2007. Though series star James Gandolfini, who played Tony Soprano, died in 2013, the report says some "Sopranos" regulars will show up in the film.

In 2014, Chase, now 72, spoke to the Associated Press about a potential prequel.

"Even if I did it, it wouldn't be 'The Sopranos' that was on the air -- obviously at least one person is gone that we would need," he said, referring to Gandolfini. "There are a couple of eras that would be interesting for me to talk about, about Newark, New Jersey. One would be (the) late '60s, early '70s, about all the racial animosity, or the beginning, the really true beginning of the flood of drugs."

"The Sopranos" was largely set in northern New Jersey and often filmed there. The state's streets, businesses and highways functioned as familiar signposts in the acclaimed drama. In addition to Chase, series stars including Gandolfini, who grew up in Park Ridge, often had local ties.

Chase, who will serve as a producer on the film and will help pick a director, has often said that he based Tony Soprano's fraught relationship with his mother, Livia Soprano, on his relationship with his own mother.

It remains to be seen who from the Soprano family will show up in the prequel (presumably played by much younger actors). The actress who played Livia, Nancy Marchand, died in 2000, early in the show's run. Junior Soprano, Tony's uncle, was played by Dominic Chianese, who is now 87.

Tony's father, Giovanni Francis "Johnny Boy" Soprano, died before the series began and was occasionally depicted in flashbacks. In the flashbacks (see clip below), which were already partially set during the Newark riots, Bobby Boriello played a young Tony, Laurie Williams played young Livia, Joseph Siravo played Johnny Boy and Juliet Fox played young Janice Soprano, Tony's sister. (Aida Turturro played her as an adult.)

On Twitter, "Sopranos" fans reacted to the news, with some elated, making guesses as to which characters might be included, and others of the opinion that a good thing should be left well enough alone. Some said they had mixed feelings about a "Sopranos" story that would not feature Gandolfini.

https://twitter.com/ScottWamplerBMD/status/971833013062586368
Scott Wampler™

✔@ScottWamplerBMD

Here's what I gather will be an unpopular opinion: THE SOPRANOS is a flawless masterpiece that needs no extensions of any kind, be they prequel or sequel, and it should be left well enough alone. Sorry if this offends.

3:40 PM - Mar 8, 2018
Twitter Ads info and privacy

https://twitter.com/gianni_damaia/status/971834433719492608
Gianni Damaia@gianni_damaia

David Chase actually waited for me to finally binge and fall madly in love with The Sopranos before announcing his prequel. Make no mistake, this gift is for me. But I’ll share it with you, I guess.

3:45 PM - Mar 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/ChaseNCashe/status/971827907810050048
Chase N. Cashe

✔@ChaseNCashe

My day was going great but got even better when I just saw this new about the Sopranos coming back in movie form.

3:20 PM - Mar 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/BrianAquaa/status/971835304566054912
B.J. Aqua XXII@BrianAquaa

Oh my The Sopranos prequel movie set in the 60s. Does that mean that tony is in his early teens or twentys? I would love to see that.

3:49 PM - Mar 8, 2018

BRUH, I just read the sopranos are getting a prequel, got dumb excited, then realized James Gandolfini won't be in it. RIP.

-- YUNG ANCiENT (@COCA_BLU) March 8, 2018
https://twitter.com/MarkBowie_1986/status/971833829706076161
Mark Bowie@MarkBowie_1986

We all want to know if @StevieVanZandt is involved in The Sopranos prequel movie...or at least with the soundtrack? Please tell me Silvio have they pulled you back in?

3:43 PM - Mar 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/Brad_Glasgow/status/971829200784158722
Brad Glasgow@Brad_Glasgow

Don't know how I feel about a The Sopranos prequel movie. I don't really want to see The Sopranos without Gandolfini.

3:25 PM - Mar 8, 2018

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
Rapper Juelz Santana busted for leaving loaded gun at Newark Airport
Updated 12:02 PM; Posted 9:47 AM
LaRon James, more commonly known as Juelz Santana, was arrested early Monday and charged with weapons offenses. (Star-Ledger file photo)

juelz-santanajpg-76185aeba7715579.jpg

0shares

By Alex Napoliello

anapoliello@njadvancemedia.com,

NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

The rapper and Totowa resident known as Juelz Santana was arrested early Monday after fleeing from Newark airport Friday evening and leaving behind a bag with a loaded gun, police said.

LaRon James, 36, was charged with possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, carrying a weapon on an aircraft, unlawful possession of a weapon and possession of drugs after he was arrested around 1 a.m. by detectives with the Port Authority police, said department spokesman Joe Pentangelo.

James, more commonly known by his stage name Juelz Santana, left the security checkpoint area Friday at 6 p.m. in the C-1 area of Newark Liberty International Airport, leaving behind two bags and identification, Pentangelo said.

The criminal complaint said James, who was scheduled to leave for a flight to San Francisco at 6:25 p.m., "paced the area nervously and requested that several individuals screen his bag expeditiously because he was going to miss his flight."

Transportation Security Administration (TSA) agents checked the bags and found a loaded Derringer 38-caliber handgun.

Police believed he fled the airport in a taxicab.

James was arrested by the Port Authority police without incident, Pentangelo said.

He was also booked on a federal warrant and is scheduled to appear in federal court in Newark at 2 p.m.on Monday.

The possession of a firearm by a convicted felon and carrying a weapon on an aircraft each carry a maximum sentence of 10 years in prison.

A statement from the U.S. Attorney's Office said James is not allowed to carry a gun because of a conviction in 2013 for manufacturing and selling drugs.

But that's not the only brush with law enforcement the "There it Go (The Whistle Song)" performer has had in New Jersey.

In 2016, a warrant was issued for his arrest after he reportedly owed nearly $30,000 in child support.

While living in Teaneck in 2009, he was arrested after police said he threatened his girlfriend with a knife inside his home.

And in 2011, a search of his Bergenfield recording studio turned up two loaded 9mm handguns and 17 bags of suspected marijuana.

After working on two singles with rapper Cam'ron, Santa released his solo album "From Me To U," in 2003. The album, which featured the track "Dipset (Santana's Town), topped the Billboard charts at No. 8.

Santana went on to make "What The Game's Been Missing!" containing perhaps his most famous single, "There it Go (The Whistle Song)." He was also featured in Chris Brown's "Run It!"

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
225 Units Could Come to Newark High-Rise
By
Jared Kofsky
-
March 8, 2018

155-Washington-Street-Newark-Rutgers-dev-exterior.jpg

155 Washington Street, Newark. Photo via Google Maps/Street View.
Over the last few years, Rutgers University-Newark has been expanding its presence within the city’s downtown. From the Express Newark space at the Hahne & Companydevelopment to the upcoming Honors Living-Learning Community along the Halsey Street corridor and to the rehabilitation of 15 Washington Street, there are now more signs of the institution within the Newark Central Business District. Now, several major changes are planned for properties owned by the university near the Rutgers Law School.

On Monday, March 12, the Newark Central Planning Board is scheduled to conduct a special public hearing regarding 155 Washington Street Urban Renewal, LLC’s proposal for the adaptive reuse of one of the Central Ward’s tallest buildings. A legal notice from the City of Newark confirms that a developer is seeking to turn the 18-story Rutgers-owned structure at 155 Washington Street, between Warren and Linden Streets, into a mixed-use development. If approved, the proposal would allow the 208-foot building to be rehabilitated and converted into around 225 residential units, retail space, and 4,000 square feet of “institutional uses.”

155 Washington Street dates back to 1930, according to Emporis. Currently, the building is largely vacant and is attached to a two-story building at the corner of Washington and Warren Streets. The street-level portion of the structure was most recently occupied by Planned Parenthood of Metropolitan New Jersey and the Washington Corners Legal Center.

However, the plans for the adaptive reuse of the existing building are not the only part of this proposal. The legal notice states that the developer is also planning to construct a four-story residential building on the surrounding property. The new development would include 29 units if approved and parking would be provided on the premises.

In addition, all of the tracts related to the proposal, including 141-149, 151-153, 155, and 157-159 Washington Street along with 24-26 Warren Place could be designated as areas in need of redevelopment by the Newark Municipal Council in the near future.

155 Washington Street Urban Renewal, LLC is seeking Preliminary and Final Site Plan approval in connection with the application for both buildings. The Newark Central Planning Board’s meeting is scheduled to begin at 6:30 p.m. at City Hall.

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
Condolences to Queen Latifah on the passing of her mother Ms. Rita Owens.

ALEXIA FERNANDEZ
March 21, 2018 08:16 PM
Queen Latifah is saying goodbye to the person she loved the most.

Latifah’s mother, Rita Owens, passed away on Wednesday after struggling with a heart condition for more than a decade, she announced in an exclusive statement to PEOPLE.

“It is with a heavy heart that I share the news my mother, Rita Owens passed away today,” says Latifah. “Anyone that has ever met her knows what a bright light she was on this earth. She was gentle, but strong, sweet, but sassy, worldy but pragmatic, a woman of great faith and certainly the love of my life.”

“She had struggled with a heart condition for many years and her battle is now over,” Latifah shares. “I am heartbroken but know she is at peace. Thank you for your kindness, support and respect for our privacy at this time. Much Love, Dana Owens (aka Queen Latif‎ah), forever Rita Owens’ daughter

Late Wednesday night, Latifah shared a video of a photograph of her mother with the caption, “143,” which means “I love you.”

In September, the Girl’s Trip actress opened up about her mother’s years-long battle.

“I’ve just learned how much you can love a person and just how strong my mother is,” she shared of her mother during a sit-down with PEOPLE Now. “I’ve come to respect her in ways you can’t even imagine.”

Heart failure is a chronic, progressive condition in which the heart is unable to pump blood efficiently enough to meet the body’s needs. Owens told PEOPLE in 2015 that proper medication, a defibrillator implanted in her chest to avert a heart attack and a diet low in salt and fats but heavy on vegetables enabled her to live with the condition.

“I watched her come through so many things, ups and downs, hospitalizations – I mean really being in the ICU for that matter – you know, going through tough times and watching her come back and bounce back and still maintain this sense of humor, and love and drive and will,” Latifah said of Owens. “I just love her so much more, I respect her so much more. She really just gives me hope for life and the world.”

Latifah first revealed to PEOPLE in 2015 that when she’s not in California, she stays at her mother’s home in New Jersey, sharing caregiving duties with relatives and a nurse.

“As a caregiver – it’s just like being a parent, like some things really don’t matter,” Latifah said. “All the kind of frivolous things sort of fall to the side because there’s something way more important than all that. And when we go through these things together as a family, I realize, these are the important things, these are the important moments.”

She continued, “Whatever some tabloid printed means nothing, money doesn’t mean anything, work is great – I work so that I can take care of my family – but the family is the most important thing.”

Dolla$

Minus the bullsh*t...life's great
Daps
Some big promoter just got killed

K-Apps

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brick City/Happy Valley
https://jerseydigs.com/redevelopment-plan-moving-forward-paramount-theater-newark/
The surge in development in Downtown Newark is reaching one of the city’s most iconic landmarks: the Paramount Theater.

The marquee of the Paramount is one of the best-known symbols of the state’s biggest city. Simply reading “Newark,” this ghost sign at 193-195 Market Street near the Prudential Center is regularly featured in articles discussing changes throughout the community. Now, major changes could be coming to the former theater itself since plans are advancing to redevelop and expand the structure into the neighborhood’s latest mixed-use development.

The Downtown Newark-based RBH Group, which is responsible for nearby Teachers Villageand the proposed Four Corners Millennium Project, is seeking to begin construction early next year on redeveloping this property. The project involves preserving the facade of the Paramount while building a new structure behind it.

A spokesperson for the RBH Group confirmed to Jersey Digs that the company is currently in the process of designing the mixed-use development and explained that “we plan to restore the facade and redevelop into retail and housing, the retail component of which may even have a theater.”

paramount-theater-development-plan-newark.jpg

Drawing via HudsonRE.com
According to a listing posted last month by Hudson Real Estate out of Manhattan, the residential portion of the project is expected to include 220 units. The firm is currently marketing a “big box retail/commercial opportunity” for the upcoming development, stating in a flyer that 23,900 square feet of retail space will be available on the ground floor while 25,828 square feet would be for lease on the second story. Floor plans for the project show that a residential lobby and parking would also be included in the new building.

Although none remain open today, Newark was once home to multiple historic theaters like the Paramount. This venue opened its doors in 1886 as a vaudeville house called H.C. Miner’s Newark Theatre, according to Cinema Treasures, and was remodeled in 1917. In recent years, the interior of the theater has not been maintained and has sat unused, while the portion of the building at the street level below the marquee has contained stores over the years such as Dee’s Amazing Deals and Culture & Culture African Accessories. However, the entire structure is currently vacant as the RBH Group prepares to begin construction.

Hope they keep the “Newark” facade on the building. It’s iconic part of the city and it’s history

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
Newark Prepares for Next Phase of Riverfront Park
By
Jared Kofsky
-
April 3, 2018

Riverfront-Park-Newark-5.jpg

New signage at Riverfront Park, Newark. Photo by Jared Kofsky/Jersey Digs.
Construction could soon begin on the next phase of what has become one of the most prominent parks in Newark.

Planning is currently underway for Phase C of Riverfront Park, which will involve parcels stretching from Dock Street near Newark Penn Station to Center Street near the Newark FBI office, according to project manager Stephen Walter from Cumming. Part of this portion of the project involves the only area along the waterfront with a previously developed public walkway, though it is difficult to access and currently lacks benches, signage, and other amenities. This previously industrial property is adjacent to several Matrix Development Group-owned lots that are sites of potential new developments, including Amazon’s second headquarters should Newark be selected.

Riverfront-Park-Newark-2.jpg

This site along the Passaic River near NJPAC will eventually become part of Riverfront Park, Newark. Photo by Jared Kofsky/Jersey Digs.
Riverfront-Park-Newark-6.jpg

Riverfront Park will soon cross under the Dock Bridge, Newark. Photo by Jared Kofsky/Jersey Digs.
Upcoming efforts will bring a “different aesthetic” to the property, according to Walter, who explained that this phase will include an amphitheater along the Passaic River across from the Center Street Light Rail Station with “natural stepped seating.” In addition, artwork will be incorporated into Phase C, including several sculptures and “an outdoor art gallery-type setup” with screens allowing artists to display their work. Bid documents obtained by Jersey Digs refer to the amphitheater as the “River Theater” and describe plans for a “Garden Gallery,” three kiosks, a promenade, and accessible entrances, along with ongoing efforts to test the soil and groundwater for contamination.

Walter told Jersey Digs that Cumming was contracted by the Newark Community Economic Development Corporation (NCEDC) to oversee the design, bidding, construction, and development of the upcoming portions of the park. James Corner Field Operations, which is known for its work with the High Line and the upcoming Freshkills Park, is involved in Phase C along with Pennoni, the Brandston Partnership, Craul Land Scientists, the Nishuane Group, Yendor Productions, Northern Designs, Soucy Aquatik, and Pentagram, according to bid documents.

Riverfront-Park-Newark-1.jpg

This walking path between Newark Penn Station and the FBI office will become part of Riverfront Park, Newark. Photo by Jared Kofsky/Jersey Digs.
Currently, Cumming and the NCEDC are looking for an additional contractor for the project. A legal notice from City Hall shows that “a lump sum general construction contract” will be issued with potential bidders being responsible for “site grading, utilities, infrastructure, hardscape and landscape” along with “coordination of Phase C activities with the activities of the developers for the sites adjacent to the park.” All bids are due by April 6.

Riverfront Park’s first phase opened over five years ago at the edge of the city’s Ironbound neighborhood across from Harrison. Developed in partnership between City Hall, Essex County, the State, and the Trust for Public Land, it includes a playground, a boat dock, athletic fields, and walkways. The park’s most recent phase opened to Newarkers at the end of 2017. This latest addition has expanded the walkway and Horizon Wellness Trail westward from the existing “orange boardwalk,” passing underneath the Jackson Street Bridge.

Riverfront-Park-Newark-3.jpg

Expanded walkway at Riverfront Park, Newark. Photo by Jared Kofsky/Jersey Digs.
Riverfront-Park-Newark-4.jpg

The Orange Boardwalk at Riverfront Park, Newark. Photo by Jared Kofsky/Jersey Digs.
During the upcoming phases, the existing portion of Riverfront Park will be connected to Phase C and an art shed, cookout ledges, a bluff playground, two dog runs, a beach, volleyball courts, a splash pad, and a balcony will be installed, according to bid documents. There are also plans to “repair and restore” the cobblestoned Dock Street. Eventually, once the bulkhead’s extension is completed by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, the entire park is set to be expanded farther north toward the Bridge Street Bridge and possibly beyond.

--

K-Apps

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brick City/Happy Valley
This how the inside of the Paramount looks now

paramount-theater-newark-new-jersey.jpg

paramount-theater-newark-new-jersey-5.jpg

paramount-theater-newark-new-jersey-7.jpg

They need to do the right thing with this. This can be revamped as our version of the Apollo if done right.

I agree no reason it can’t be a opera/live event theater, retail stores, and apartment complexes. But I see them thinking it might be overkill with NJPAC and Symphony Hall :manny:

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
I agree no reason it can’t be a opera/live event theater, retail stores, and apartment complexes. But I see them thinking it might be overkill with NJPAC and Symphony Hall :manny:
Yea but Newark use to have tons of theaters back in the day with the paramount, adams on brandford pl, avon theater although that was before my time. If anything, it'll be a throwback to the glory days of the city.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
This how the inside of the Paramount looks now

paramount-theater-newark-new-jersey.jpg

paramount-theater-newark-new-jersey-5.jpg

paramount-theater-newark-new-jersey-7.jpg

They need to do the right thing with this. This can be revamped as our version of the Apollo if done right.
thanks...........looks better than what I imagined. Paramount has been closed for a LONG time. When that and the Adams closed. we'd hit either the Castle or the theatres on Bloomfield Avenue.

The restoration could work, and be profitable if it becomes an arthouse theatre.
catering to movie nerds and the film festival crowd who don't want to go into the city.