"BRICK CITY" THE OFFICIAL NEWARK DISCUSSION THREAD

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
whats wild is, when i talked to people in the building i asked "what do you like about living over here"... this bytch told me "the gates" :skip:

lmao i aint tripping tho. I usually sleep in my office if i'm out late in Manhattan. Even when i lived in NY. I just dont like to travel late/drunk etc.

Other than that, i'm coming and going. Just here for the cheap rent and solitude.
Ceelo's verse in Cell Therapy

cued up

If I'm not mistaken..those buildings used to be projects..which is why the surrounding area is still so run down even after the buildings were fixed up.

The building is in a great location for NY commuters. That town has a lot of potential because of its location.Maplewood is Brooklyn East...and NYers are flocking there..if Irvington was able to get rid of some of the lowlife MFers...they could cash in on the NY exodus too.

You'll hear people complaining about gentrification, but what happens is others see value in something that locals don't. MFers won't sweep up the front curb in places that they live or own, and with a straight face complain when outsiders move in and price them out.

I'm getting a t-shirt with "gentrification can't come soon enough" printed on the front.

Self_Born7

SUN OF MAN
Daps
Reppin
all 23 million miles of useful land
Irvington cops got me in February. I was leaving work and visiting a friend out there. They pulled me over at 11:45 p.m. on a Thursday night. My registration was suspended for a parking ticket I forgot to pay. Towed my car with the quickness. This was on Lyons ave.. like 2 blocks from Springfield Ave. If I didn't know anyone that lived close by I would've been assed out :snoop:

Union cops stopped me as I was leaving a friends house. They questioned why I was there because I didn't live over there. Then they tried to hit me with the there was a vehicle reported stolen and my car fit the description :mjpls: This was at 2 a.m.

Don't know how many times I've gotten tickets for tints in Irvington :snoop:

sheeeeeeeeeeeet, nobody worse than Hillside PD... coming home, I used to get followed by them all the time late nights/early morning.

Self_Born7

SUN OF MAN
Daps
Reppin
Irvington gully as fukk. I am usually at The Paradizio Club with my peeps who does security there.I think its closed down. Its a hole in the wall strip club where anything goes.
man, that was my second spot.. b.u.t. I like world paradise that was on lyons ave, down the street from marlo's..... i heart its a dominoes or poppa johns now... LOL I was a young bul going to that joint, and they let me DJ in there a couple of times.
never asked us for ID...
Doll House was up Lyons ave, went there a few, b.u.t. world paradise was better... to me.

Self_Born7

SUN OF MAN
Daps
Reppin
The art of Uggie: Newark's beloved street dancer honored with statue | Carter

The abstract statue, is of a black figure, wiry and tall, made from sheet metal that is flexible and has movement, much like the subject of the piece.

Eric "Uggie" Bowens was always on the move. He walked everywhere in Newark, stopping only to dance, the one thing that made everyone in the city know him. He loved to dance, and was often seen with a boom box in his hand blasting House music.

Then he was taken from us last year on Nov. 7, when he was shot and killed, gunned down 45 minutes before his 45th birthday. Newark was angry and hurt.

Thousands attended his funeral. Uggie -- we all knew him by this name -- had a developmental disability. He was a harmless soul who didn't bother anyone. From the streets to Newark City Hall, people loved this guy, who may have been the city's most recognizable resident.

The Essex County Sheriff's Department offered a $20,000 reward, which was increased to $30,000 last week. A street sign was erected in May with his name on Winans Avenue, but the city has gone a step further by installing the metal sculpture to honor him again, and to continue its vision of displaying public art in neighborhoods.

MORE: Recent Barry Carter columns

"The mayor wanted to utilize arts and culture to represent something that Uggie was and have that be connected to the spirit of what we have going on in the city,'' said Keith Hamilton, Newark's manager of city-owned property, who works with artists on public art projects.

NAVC does so every week with rallies in tough Newark neighborhoods. If it weren't for them, many of the victims would be forgotten.

Not Uggie. People still talk about him, stunned that the streets have not coughed up the killer.

The statue in his memory can't be missed. It's been up for three weeks now. Newark is finishing a placard with his name and an inscription that suits Uggie to a T.

Dance as though no one is watching.

Love as though you have never been hurt before.

Sing as though no one can hear you.

Live as though heaven is on earth.

And with each rush of the wind, Uggie, or at least this figure of him, will fleetingly move among us once again.

inRead invented by Teads
For the nearly 10-feet-high piece, Newark tapped Jerry Gant, a renowned local artist, who has murals in every ward and sculptures throughout the city.

Gant said Uggie's artwork, at the corner of Muhammad Ali Avenue and Bergen Street, is crafted from Corten metal and painted with a black powder coating. Its unique flexible feature, Gant said, was intentional because Uggie was a dancer. It's not rigid like other statues often seen in downtown parks.

"I wanted it to have some flexibility, so when the wind hits it, it has some movement,'' said Gant. "I wanted it to be accessible so people could come up to it and take pictures. I want people to touch it."

The statue sits on a concrete island at the Central Ward intersection, where Uggie's mother, the late Lula Bowens, used to sit in a chair and sell Katydids, tasty chocolate-covered caramel candy packaged in a tin container.

Bowens and her son lived across the street in a townhouse complex that is now closed. Uggie would sit with his mother, then take off walking, sometimes getting lost until someone in Newark would see him and give him a ride home.

Stanley McElroy did, after Uggie would come by to visit. He was Uggie's self-appointed big brother, who looked after him growing up and into his adult life, as did others in Newark.

"There couldn't have been a better angel to have come across my path,'' McElroy said. "It's still rough on me when I go thinking about him when I'm by myself in the truck. I can't believe it's been a whole year.''

Uggie was found with a gunshot wound on the ground in front of an empty house on Bergen Street near Fourteenth Avenue. Despite the initial $20,000 reward, his killer has not been found. The investigation by the Essex County Prosecutors Office continues, and authorities hope that the increase in reward money will entice people to come forward with information.

MORE CARTER: Newark school playground is returned to kids | Carter

"It's a sad, sad thing,'' said Sheriff Armando Fontoura. "Somebody out there knows something. Thirty thousand is not a problem. But it's not enough for a life that meant a lot to folks in this community.''

A few weeks before the reward was announced, members of the Newark Anti-Violence Coalition stood in the cold, in front of the statue, calling for an increased reward as they paid tribute to Uggie while demanding justice for innocent victims like him.

"We are dealing with so many unsolved murders. We need to send a message that this can't be business as usual,'' said NAVC chair LaKeesha Eure. "After things happen, we have to keep the momentum.''
did they ever find out who killed him?

skeetsinternal

I never see my nut
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Cervixes
man, that was my second spot.. b.u.t. I like world paradise that was on lyons ave, down the street from marlo's..... i heart its a dominoes or poppa johns now... LOL I was a young bul going to that joint, and they let me DJ in there a couple of times.
never asked us for ID...
Doll House was up Lyons ave, went there a few, b.u.t. world paradise was better... to me.
Small world

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
Broad St, Market be cac central...they got their hockey stadium. Its rare you will see a mass amount natives downtown except for at the busstop
When I lived in Newark for a short period, I would spend my days around broad street, by the Prudential center, even though I lived in a really bad neighborhood.

If you work in NY, you should live in Jersey City or Newark. Commute is very easy and Jersey is like half the price. Same way I don't understand why people out here live in LA when the surrounding parts are much cheaper.

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
When I lived in Newark for a short period, I would spend my days around broad street, by the Prudential center, even though I lived in a really bad neighborhood.

If you work in NY, you should live in Jersey City or Newark. Commute is very easy and Jersey is like half the price. Same way I don't understand why people out here live in LA when the surrounding parts are much cheaper.
Yea people sometimes forget Newark and Manhattan are only 20 mins apart from each other.

Newark88

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Newark, NJ
BurgerIM to Open on Newark’s Halsey Street
By
Jared Kofsky
-
April 17, 2018

BurgerIM-Halsey-Street-Newark-1.jpg

Opening soon: BurgerIM, 98 Halsey Street, Newark. Photo via BurgerIM Instagram.
There will soon be no shortage of burger joints in Downtown Newark. In addition to existing local restaurants like Burg, Burger Walla, Novelty Burger, McGovern’s, and upcoming businesses like Elevation Burger, a growing burger-and-fries chain from overseas is preparing to open in the neighborhood.

BurgerIM, an Israeli franchise based between Tel Aviv and Haifa, is coming to the Shoppes on Broad development. It will be located at 98 Halsey Street.

The company’s website states that “we are so excited to be able to introduce our unique burger concept to the Newark area.” Items on BurgerIM’s menu include mini burgers, chicken sandwiches, turkey burgers, falafel patties, chicken wings, salads, and home fries.

BurgerIM-Halsey-Street-Newark-2.jpg

A boxful of burgers and sides. Photo via BurgerIM Instagram.
The restaurant’s space was previously occupied by Grabbagreen, which suddenly closed in September 2017 after less than a year in business. The Newark Grabbagreen was the company’s first in the Garden State.

Yet while Grabbagreen’s growth in New Jersey has come to a halt, BurgerIM’s expansion into the state appears to just be beginning. The company’s website lists that additional locations are coming near Rutgers University’s College Avenue Campus in New Brunswick as well as downtown Englewood in Bergen County.

Currently, there are American BurgerIM restaurants in California, Florida, Nevada, Texas, Tennessee, and Virginia.

• Dap
Reactions: Dip