brehs lets talk cologne game

RoidJonesJr

Superstar
Daps
I bought a clone of fukking Fabulous from DUA, does the original also smell like baby wipes? :russ:

It was a blind buy and not sure I wanna rock it.

GentMan

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You've got to wonder because the days of an immense smash dominating the market, year out, year in are gone with the wind. The clonesharks will ensure that won't happen and the nets model of direct to consumer or bypassing retail generates profit but over the past two decades the signal to noise ratio has become immense.

A lot of these smaller houses are actually making their bread and butter by designing and creating commercial toilet fresheners and the scents that go in towel wipes as that is what keeps the lights on. The rest they're hoping to hit big which is why they astroturf the reviews and send out free bottles to get hypetrains rolling fron online reviewers just reading a script that says nice things.

The industry in whole is creatively bankrupt and has been for a while due to the aforementioned reasons because copying has become much easier with GCMS and there is so much money to be had. There are real talented noses out there that purposefully will not release their best works due to this and there is an underground movement trying to make it illegal to jack a formula then resell because its cheapening their skill set as creators.

If that kicks in we'll see an evolution in terms of creativity because people will start to push the limits in order to get that credit but its a complicated field. Much like sampling in that sense or, actually, chord progression and melody when it comes to music.

The worst thing about modern frags is how many of them are recycling bases so aside from the top notes and opening it ends up smelling identical in the end. That and from every 10 you sniff you'd be lucky to find one that is truly unique and different as there are so many variations on a theme whilst millions of accord combos sit untouched because most aren't creative enough to pair them up.
Interesting post. Its apparent you have some industry insight. Does an underground fragrance scene exist in the same way as music, movies?

Would love to get your POV on addiction within the "community" as well. I suspect YouTube is a gateway drug of sorts....did men collect bottles before Top 10 Lists and "Panty Droppers"?

Complexion

ʇdᴉɹɔsǝɥʇdᴉlɟ
Daps
Interesting post. Its apparent you have some industry insight. Does an underground fragrance scene exist in the same way as music, movies?

Would love to get your POV on addiction within the "community" as well. I suspect YouTube is a gateway drug of sorts....did men collect bottles before Top 10 Lists and "Panty Droppers"?

Yeah, there's a circuit where folk exchange ideas and concepts as well as hate on whoever is shining and how they could do it better. Some things never change! A lot of them tend to say they same thing though and that is the business aspect kills the creativity as the people who sniff the pitch don't really have a clue, neither does the focus testing or the "Can't you make something that smells like ..." requests they're constantly getting. A fear of innovation permeates as no one wants to damage the brand by taking a risk or creating a new lane.

Some of the scents that went on to become a legend were initially rejected whilst others were made by accident by mixing up two different scraps by mistake. Generally though they all complain about not getting paid their due and how biters are common place which is why many keep their aces up their sleeve and only allow a handful to sniff that of which they're capable in case it gets imitated. A lot of them really hate the business though which is why you see so many obviously dialed in compositions as they started with passion and now are just doing it because bills are kicking in and they know nothing else.

The community itself is getting pimped to the tenth power because they don't know about the vagaries of their Limbic System. It handles smell but also processes memory and addiction. Its why one bottle isn't enough these days and online feeds into FOMO as its built off stimulating the same patterns within. Add them up and you've got people who think all of their problems will be fixed with the next bottle... Compulsive purchases.

In my nostrils most of these reviewers don't have a clue what they're talking about and if they were given blind scents with no note breakdown, bottle or brand for reference they'd be stumped beyond saying "It smells nice!" or something as derivative.

There is an upside though because its akin to brain training for those who indulge as you develop an olfactive lexicon which is far excess of the rest and never run the risk of smelling like the next girls ex which leads back to imprinting. Like so much of everything these days it requires some form of impartial gatekeeping to sort the wheat from the chaff but I can't see that happening, on a grand scale at least, as too many peeps think "Why should I pay to join a list when I can listen to youtube for free instead" as they don't know the benefits of a concierge service is bringing you the best due to the expertise and connections of another who knows what they're doing.

It was something that was pitched and I told them it will possibly kick but not yet as it hasn't got to the point of market saturation where people are willing to pivot. You're seeing hints of it here and there as people are obviously wising up and getting more discerning but the tipping point is far off in the distance...

ABlackMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Hood America
What’s too young for kid to wear perfume/cologne? Was buying spicebomb and this lady talking about her son being the main attraction cause he smell good. Kid was like 4 lol

Also should I return spicebomb and then get it on online deal with the return

Charlie Hustle

Light Bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sin City
What’s too young for kid to wear perfume/cologne? Was buying spicebomb and this lady talking about her son being the main attraction cause he smell good. Kid was like 4 lol

Also should I return spicebomb and then get it on online deal with the return

That’s wild. She needs to use just a tiny bit of real cocoa butter and keep it moving. I think I was 12 or 13 when I started wearing cologne.

Not feeling spicebomb? Return it if you think you can get something you like more for a better deal.

Mr. Jack Napier

#MambaForever
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Empire State
How does the thread feel about clones? :jbhmm:
Black Orchid was a hit this weekend when I went out. Decided to wear it for work all week :pachaha:
Clones are good when they are within a certain price point. I have to REALLY like a fragrance to drop over $150 on a bottle. Which is why I only own 1 bottle of Creed and 1 bottle of PDM.

ABlackMan

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Hood America
That’s wild. She needs to use just a tiny bit of real cocoa butter and keep it moving. I think I was 12 or 13 when I started wearing cologne.

Not feeling spicebomb? Return it if you think you can get something you like more for a better deal.

Yeah she was talking about the daycare lol not even elementary. I started when I was about 6-9 but it was Michael Jordan and aqua blue or whatever ahh man that aqua blue 😂 I can remember that shyt vividly.

Charlie Hustle

Light Bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sin City
Yeah she was talking about the daycare lol not even elementary. I started when I was about 6-9 but it was Michael Jordan and aqua blue or whatever ahh man that aqua blue 😂 I can remember that shyt vividly.
Yeah on thing she needs to consider is that you don’t want to use products that contain alcohol on a babies skin unless you a I have to, like disinfecting a cut.

This I googled:

Most perfumes, colognes, and body sprays made today contain chemicals that can have a negative impact on your baby's health. Keeping in mind that little ones are more at risk and need all the protection you can offer. Moreover, their sensory organs are still in developing, and even a little overdose can throw them off.

Charlie Hustle

Light Bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sin City
I bought a clone of fukking Fabulous from DUA, does the original also smell like baby wipes? :russ:

It was a blind buy and not sure I wanna rock it.

HXUWpkJ.jpg

:mjgrin:

I got a clone of fukking Fabulous and it reminded me of Avon Skin So Soft. I can rock it but only use a small dab of it because it has a bolder smell. Maybe its one of those scents that smells one way to you but it throws its scent differently. To me its a okay scent to use when you're fresh out the shower, first thing in the morning kinda scent.

Complexion

ʇdᴉɹɔsǝɥʇdᴉlɟ
Daps
Here's another one:

Never wear just one fragrance.

Once you know your smells and how they compliment you can start putting together aromas like a fit and thus cook up something that is totally unique and fresh. Never will you smells like the next girls ex by rocking a twist.

There are loads of fragrances out there that are pretty much monotone ie a heavy leather accord dominates or sparkly citrus with not much else etc... Some are gossamer thin and translucent whereas others are chunky and monolithic. Others compliment by changing the evaporation rate of what you're wearing and the interplay of notes this brings. After a while of playing around you'll start to intuit what fits and you can layer some astounding concoctions that are far more impressive than the sum of their parts.

Strictly for live men, not for freshmen.

Grab some paper strips and give it a spin. Some folks I've put on go as far as to making custom blends in a bottle that they macerate but I prefer spraying skin with each flex as you can create the optimal balance. After a while it becomes intuitive and you'll be out sampling and it will instantly click what you can wear something new with.