Brehs im starting to think Wiseman will be a bust

Daps
Breh wiseman got next and I was someone who agreed with your take before.
He don't got shyt.

Everyone is enamored by his size and athleticism (which is overrated), that they can't see a player who's soft, struggles to move in space, and has no BBIQ. There are so many good bigs in the league that folks shouldn't be wasting their time hoping for him to be some kind of star. He might turn out to be an average starter one day, but beyond that, I don't see anything else in his cards.

TheNig

Dr.TheNig DDS
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Brolic... Alcoholics
8 pts and 7 rebounds off the bench. I thought he started uncomfortable to start. He seemed to be trying too hard to make plays in the beginning and eventually settled down.

There was one play where he tried to do a put-back over like three people. I think after that, he kinda calmed down.

Don Homer

Molto Bene
Supporter
Daps
He don't got shyt.

Everyone is enamored by his size and athleticism (which is overrated), that they can't see a player who's soft, struggles to move in space, and has no BBIQ. There are so many good bigs in the league that folks shouldn't be wasting their time hoping for him to be some kind of star. He might turn out to be an average starter one day, but beyond that, I don't see anything else in his cards.
i really don't know if Kuminga and Wiseman can play together. outside of the denver game last friday, they seem to always look like a bad fit on the court together.

Don Homer

Molto Bene
Supporter
Daps
Let's have a closer look at his performance:

0.37sec - notice how he doesn't even screen properly on this DHO, which allows Reeves to stay on Steph's hip, and then AD stays within reach and blocks him at the rim. If he knew how to utilize his 7ft frame properly, he could've stonewalled Reeves, forcing AD to come right up, and he would've had an easy rim run.

1.12sec - again, his screen on this play is bad to the point he literally doesn't even touch Pat Bev, and is bailed out by the fact the Lakers are playing Wenyen Gabriel at the 5 (a 6-9, undrafted G-League player) and he has absolutely no sense of where to be,. Wiseman gets an easy rim run, which he goes up soft and only just finishes.

1.23sec - once again, another poor screen where he merely touches Pat Bev with a swipe of the arm, and there's Wenyen Gabriel at the 5 caught unawares again, and Wiseman gets another easy rim run.

2.17sec - and again, hardly any contact with his screen on Pat Bev, and the Lakers are running some pseudo-small ball lineup (Pat Bev, Westbrook, Matt Ryan, Bron and JTA), and there's absolutely no legitimate defensive resistance to stop any traffic coming down the center of the floor. Wiseman slips into the paint and gets an easy shot against a 6-6 white boy, who's never played in the NBA before.

- Three out of his four field goals came against little-to-no defensive pressure on rim runs, and they were up against lineups with a G-League player who doesn't even play at the 5 on the regular. Other than that, he struggled mightily to get his own offense going (it's telling that his nerves got the best of him when he got fouled and sent to the line).
- On his defensive matchups (Los Angeles Lakers vs Golden State Warriors Oct 18, 2022 Box Scores | NBA.com) he allowed 6 out of 9 field-goals for 15 points (includes the FTs he gave up when taken off-the-dribble) all in a matter of 17 minutes; he got caught out on numerous occasions when needing to rotate, recover and move his feet. If he's not put in a situation where he can directly contest at the rim, he's pretty damn clueless on what to do.
- Six out of his seven rebounds were uncontested (on the majority of them there wasn't even a Lakers player in the frame).
- He had the worst net-rating on the team; the Lakers sparked both of their big runs when he was on the floor.

Essentially, this was your typical JaVale McGee performance: one highlight defensive block, mixed in with poor overall defensive awareness and gameplay, and a few rim runs to get his points. Otherwise, it was a pretty uneventful game for him. This is the same content we've seen from him since his rookie season, he's just not as bad as he used to be, which doesn't mean much because it's not like he's improved by any notable measure, he's just not as glaringly bad.

@CSquare43 @BigMoneyGrip @Chabot College @Scholar @Serious @Don Homer

"HiS ScrEEnIng iS so MuCh BeTtEr ThO" :wow:

Don Homer

Molto Bene
Supporter
Daps
His cieling is a more skilled Magee. :yeshrug:

That is going to make a lot of money in today's NBA.
I don’t see how he is skilled at all

Draft Hassan Whiteside over LaMelo Ball, brehs

Don Homer

Molto Bene
Supporter
Daps
Has a better engine than Whiteside....who also has made a over 100 million in the NBA
Idk about that. Wiseman’s motor was questioned throughout his career

And Hassan getting overpaid doesn’t mean that he’s a good player. He was traded and is now out the league

Robbo

All Star
Daps
Wiseman is still trash.
I disagree.. he changed shots in the paint, he fought for some rebounds they would have not gotten otherwise. He's playing a simple game and he's been effective. The screens are still a bit soft but improved, so I suspect that he will continue to improve there.